Thread: Tongue Piercing

Post Tongue Piercing

Just a few questions, really. I've been thinking over and over for weeks if I should really have one... So, I thought I'd just ask and get some things clear, and maybe get some little trivial thoughts and shmut.

One main concern I have for a tongue piercing is the fact metal can be really bad for the teeth- when I got my lip pierced I knew this was easily solvable when it healed; good ole bioplast. But I'm not sure I want to go as far as using bioplast in my tongue, especially because I'm into that kind of category in the bedroom if you know what I mean... And I don't think bioplast would really be effective. (unless any of you lot have any experiances and suggestions...) It'd still look good but it'd be like them fake model phones in stores. Totally realistic in everyway but the technology :(
    I've heard somewhere, that maybe acrylic could be a good way to go? For the balls, I mean. I think I'd stick to the titanium once I got it pierced.
    Left Ear: 10mm Lobe, x2 1.2mm Forward Helix
    Right Ear: 10mm Lobe, 1.2mm Tragus, 1.6mm Conch
    Facial/Oral: 1mm Double Nostril, 1.2mm Double Eyebrow, 1.2mm Labret, 1.2mm Smiley, 1.6mm Tongue
    Other: 1.6mm Double Horizontal Nipple x2

Retired: x1 Anti-Tragus, x1 Septum, x 1 Industrial/Scaffold, hundreds of standard ear piercings

*Doing stupid things for sensible reasons*

A good piercer will be able to position it so that it will not hit your teeth at all, I've had mine nearly 5 years and its never damaged my teeth. I wouldn't advise acrylic for long term wear in an oral piercing, theres some sciency reasoning (chemicals etc) that makes me think its a bad idea. PTFE or bioplast yeah. Have you thought about wearing a bioplast/PTFE ball on the underside then norm titanium/steel on the top?

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

I got mine done 2 weeks ago. I have bitten down on the metal ball a couple of times and it does concern me a lot. I think once I get it changed next week to a shorter barbell it shouldn't effect my teeth anymore, hopefully. Then finally once it's healed enough to change it myself, probably at 6 or 7 weeks I will use the titanium barbell with acrylic balls, I hear they are better for your teeth if you accidentally crunch down on it, then at least that way you will break the ball instead of a tooth!

Um also, I don't know how the bioplast tongue rings are made, but if they are made anything like the ones I used for my lip then I don't think it would be a good idea to use it in the tongue because the ball can just pop out and you could swallow it. I wouldn't do it but if you feel comfortable using the bioplast then do it

Also don't use anything other than the metal bar until it's healed because the plastic ones can slow down the healing process, at least that's what I've been told.
    ...........Hey I'm Aubri....!!!........

Present:
    Both lobes x2 (1 of which is stretched to 6g), Spiderbites, Nostril, Double helix, Belly button, Tongue.

Future: (Undecided) Conch, Tragus, Indistrial.

*No tattoos yet but someday I want to get a few small meaningful ones and a giant koi fish on my side.*

Quote Originally Posted by blakqsh33p View Post
    Also don't use anything other than the metal bar until it's healed because the plastic ones can slow down the healing process, at least that's what I've been told.
    You've been misinformed. PTFE and bioplast are made from biocompatible materials, they can even be used as initial jewellery and can be autoclaved.

Acrylic on the other hand breaks down (especially in the mouth) and cannot be autoclaved nor is it suitable for initial piercing nor the healing period. It's also advisable with acrylic to change it frequently because the scratches/dent that will form on it will harbour bacteria etc, same will happen with bioplast/ptfe over a longer period. Also many people have allergic reactions to acrylic so that's something to consider as well.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    You've been misinformed. PTFE and bioplast are made from biocompatible materials, they can even be used as initial jewellery and can be autoclaved.

Acrylic on the other hand breaks down (especially in the mouth) and cannot be autoclaved nor is it suitable for initial piercing nor the healing period. It's also advisable with acrylic to change it frequently because the scratches/dent that will form on it will harbour bacteria etc, same will happen with bioplast/ptfe over a longer period. Also many people have allergic reactions to acrylic so that's something to consider as well.

Thank you for this information it was definitely helpful... I already bought a bunch of acrylic balled jewelry for my tongue. I guess I will have to just change them more frequently than I would with any other material balls. Again thank you for this critical info

Present:
    Both lobes x2 (1 of which is stretched to 6g), Spiderbites, Nostril, Double helix, Belly button, Tongue.

*No tattoos yet but someday I want to get a few small meaningful ones and a giant koi fish on my side.*

I just got mine done yesterday. I know im not suppost to smoke but i couldnt help it. This morning when i washed my mouth with mouth wash it started to bleed real bad but it stoped. Should i go to a doctor?? Is this normal??

Quote Originally Posted by marla View Post
    I just got mine done yesterday. I know im not suppost to smoke but i couldnt help it. This morning when i washed my mouth with mouth wash it started to bleed real bad but it stoped. Should i go to a doctor?? Is this normal??
    Wow that sounds horrible. If the bleeding stopped then you are probably okay, I think the stuff in the cigarette act as a blood thinner so that's probably what happened. I would suggest not smoking for a few days or if you absolutely have to smoke just smoke as least as you can and definitely wash out your mouth after every cigarette. If you bleed again I would call a piercer and ask them what you can do. But yeah I would definitely smoke as least as possible because it will prolong your healing! Good luck.

Present:

Smoking shouldn't affect it in that way, many people smoke right after having it done, I'd go back to your piercer right away or seek medical advice if it's bleeding badly.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<