Thread: Quick question please help

Unhappy Quick question please help

Okay so two days ago I got my lip pierced. It would be my third lip piercing and although the second one got infected my first lip piecing didn't. Anyway the swelling on this one is really bad and the inside of my lip looks bruised. Like really redish purple around it. And i was just wondering if this was going to go away and if it's just because of swelling and it's normal. Please and thank you. Btw I can try to post a picture if needed.

wants;

nose piercing.
    cartilage piercing.
    smiley piercing.
    tongue web piercing.
    forearm tattoo.
    ankle tattoo.
    shoulder blade tattoo.

haves;
    spider bite piercing.
    septum piercing.
    stretched ears. 1/2"
    tragus piercing.

retired snakebites*

Post a pic, also what jewellery is in there and what's it made from? Also what aftercare routine are you following?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

The jewelry that I have in is a silver stud, and I don't think it's that small. I think the pierced gave me a longer one for swelling but it doesn't seem to be doing much justice.

I do sea salt soaks after I eat, and 3-5 times a day.

Sorry that this seems pretty big. Anyway, the one you can see clearly is the one I've had pierced for two years.
    The one you can't really see is the one I just got pierced. It looks like there's a dot of blood but it's just really, really red at that spot.
    Anyway, you can see the redish purple color i'm talking about.

wants;

nose piercing.
    cartilage piercing.
    smiley piercing.
    tongue web piercing.
    forearm tattoo.
    ankle tattoo.
    shoulder blade tattoo.

haves;
    spider bite piercing.
    septum piercing.
    stretched ears. 1/2"
    tragus piercing.

retired snakebites*

I'd post the photo in the Ask a Professional thread to get a piercer to look at it for you as I'm not sure why it's like that and the pic isn't all too clear. One thing I will say is that it sounds like you're overcleaning it 5+ times a day is too much. Is it sore? Is it excessively swollen? Is there any discharge and does the bar seem too long/short? Do you know what the bar is made from?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

i had that with my first lip piercing, not sure what caused it but it cleared up after a few days & mines been absolutely fine since, 3 years old now

Hematoma's like that are totally normal with lip piercings. Basically the skin inside the lip is choc full of tiny capillaries and blood vessels, so any injury is going to cause some of them to burst and cause the hematoma (posh word for bruise :L) on the inside of your lip. You're more likely to experience this if you bled a little during/post procedure.

Here's a photo of my most recent lip piercing and resulting bruising. As you can see, there's a big ring of bruising around the piercing site:

I use the LIMA method for all my piercings (Don't touch it, don't clean it, just wash it in the shower to loosen crusties, and only SSS if irritated/painful with no obvious cause) and this went down super fast. I'm a very big sweller, and it was only an issue for a week.

Pro anti swelling tip: Freeze some chamomile tea in an ice cube tray, and suck on them as much as possible, the ice reduces swelling and the chamomile soothes! I'd recommend leaving it alone for now, and salt soaking after a meal (spicy, especially)/cigarette/before you go to bed for the first two weeks. After that, I just left mine alone and had no issues.

Facebook/Tumblr/AwfulModifcationsBlog

You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd.

1/2" lobes, 15 other holes, 2 hours of tattoo work.

Quote Originally Posted by ABCDemily View Post
    Hematoma's like that are totally normal with lip piercings. Basically the skin inside the lip is choc full of tiny capillaries and blood vessels, so any injury is going to cause some of them to burst and cause the hematoma (posh word for bruise :L) on the inside of your lip. You're more likely to experience this if you bled a little during/post procedure.

Here's a photo of my most recent lip piercing and resulting bruising. As you can see, there's a big ring of bruising around the piercing site:

I use the LIMA method for all my piercings (Don't touch it, don't clean it, just wash it in the shower to loosen crusties, and only SSS if irritated/painful with no obvious cause) and this went down super fast. I'm a very big sweller, and it was only an issue for a week.

Pro anti swelling tip: Freeze some chamomile tea in an ice cube tray, and suck on them as much as possible, the ice reduces swelling and the chamomile soothes! I'd recommend leaving it alone for now, and salt soaking after a meal (spicy, especially)/cigarette/before you go to bed for the first two weeks. After that, I just left mine alone and had no issues.
    this helped a lot, thank you so much. i hope it goes away this week. and i'm going to try that chamomile tea method. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chansu View Post
    i had that with my first lip piercing, not sure what caused it but it cleared up after a few days & mines been absolutely fine since, 3 years old now
    i hope that happens for me, it sort of freaks me out.

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    I'd post the photo in the Ask a Professional thread to get a piercer to look at it for you as I'm not sure why it's like that and the pic isn't all too clear. One thing I will say is that it sounds like you're overcleaning it 5+ times a day is too much. Is it sore? Is it excessively swollen? Is there any discharge and does the bar seem too long/short? Do you know what the bar is made from?
    okay i will. and i don't clean more than 5. i just clean it after i eat (3 times a day) or if i smoke (1 or 2 times). and it is sore and it's not extremely swollen it just is a bit noticeably swollen. and there's not much discharge besides some lymph and crusties. but yes the bar seems short but that happens often with me because i have sort of thick lips and the swollen-ness makes it worse. and no i don't know but it's from the piercing shop and they're very qualified so i'm sure it's fine.

wants;

nose piercing.
    cartilage piercing.
    smiley piercing.
    tongue web piercing.
    forearm tattoo.
    ankle tattoo.
    shoulder blade tattoo.

haves;
    spider bite piercing.
    septum piercing.
    stretched ears. 1/2"
    tragus piercing.

retired snakebites*

Awesomeness well you got an answer right there, hope it carries on behaving for you

whats does sss mean?

Sea Salt Soak higly recommended form of aftercare
    Hey there Face=Nostril,Septum,Labret L.Ear=Tragus,10mm lobe,Rook R.Ear=Industrial,10mm lobe, Misc=Navel
    Grand total of 9 piercings One full forearm tattoo
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1053166560