Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dermal Piercings

Default Dermal Piercings

I'm looking to get more piercings. I'm not one to do too much to my face and I want ones that would be interesting and kind of unique. What I was thinking was a dermal (or three) near my bra line. Thing is, I'm 48 and although I have a great chest still, am I too old?

My other question is are dermal piercings more expensive than a regular piercing? I have to save up a little before doing it so I was wondering if I need to save more and work a little hard to earn some cash.

How painful is a dermal and can you ever change them? I want just clear rhinestones to begin with because I wear a lot of necklaces that have rhinestones or cubic zirconia (I'm not a real diamonds girl because I lose things) but I'd maybe like to be able to add a garnet or something.

What kind of dermal piercings do others have and what kind of experiences have you had?

I have 2 on my sturnum.

Pain is subjective - some say they arn't painful, but I found them pretty intense.

You can change the tops on them to whatever you want.
    Hiya - I'm Emma!

Piercings: lobes x 3, Tragus, Helix, Navel, Conch, Sternum Microdermals x 2, VCH, Central Labret, Forward Helix

Tattoos: Stars on inner forearm, Rat on inner ankle, Dotwork Star Mandala on shoulder & Lotus/Butterfly on hip

http://www.facebook.com/emmalsims

I just read this in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    Yes many people get 2 done at once, venoms (2x tongue), industrials, snakebites (2x lips) etc, general rule is to have no more than 3 piercings healing within a 3 month period.
    Since January I've gotten my tongue, my bellybutton, my nose, two cartlidge, and two earlobe piercings. Does this mean I should wait a couple months to get the dermals? Right now I'm planning to wait until March 8th when I get my monthly infusion of cash. Should I wait until April?

Quote Originally Posted by hades.handmaiden View Post
    I just read this in another thread:

Since January I've gotten my tongue, my bellybutton, my nose, two cartlidge, and two earlobe piercings. Does this mean I should wait a couple months to get the dermals? Right now I'm planning to wait until March 8th when I get my monthly infusion of cash. Should I wait until April?
    Yes, slow down, your body is healing enough right now.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I just HAVE to say... not a 'dermal piercing' but rather a 'dermal anchor' or 'microdermal'.
    Just because the 'dermal' implies it's on the skin... so by saying 'dermal piercing' basically you're calling it a 'skin piercing', which most piercings are.

It just annoyed me. I felt compelled to reply. :P

To answer your question: WAIT! Definitely. When all your other piercings are properly healed (at least 2 months... -> at least <-) get your microdermals.

My micro wasn't particularly painful (well, I don't really remember so I take it it wasn't memorable in any way. haha) but it does take a *wee bit* longer to perform than most other piercings. It's not the usual *poke and it's done* thing. Then again, it's not that long and not that bad. If the piercer is experienced it will be faster, of course. Research, research, research. ^^
    Last edited by snicky; 02-16-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Now a piercer in the making.
    ___

Piercings: both lobes 26mm (first) and 5mm (second), 4mm septum, 6mm philtrum, 3mm princess diana, 1.6mm nipples, scaffold (left ear), cheeks and outer labia
    , bridge and chest microdermals

Retired: too many. :(

Tattoos: quite a few hours. left thigh, knee and forearm. right foot. chest. half backpiece. index fingers.

Others: split tongue. stomach scarification. some pulling and play piercing.

Quote Originally Posted by snicky View Post
    I just HAVE to say... not a 'dermal piercing' but rather a 'dermal anchor' or 'microdermal'.
    Just because the 'dermal' implies it's on the skin... so by saying 'dermal piercing' basically you're calling it a 'skin piercing', which most piercings are.

It just annoyed me. I felt compelled to reply. :P
    Sorry. I got the term by using Google and the local shop where I first saw someone in person with it done. I'm new at all this. I really am the NOW type. Like I want it now. I guess I'll wait. Everything else is healing nicely so I won't have to wait too long since it was January that I did my first new piercing in 30 years.

Question now comes down to "am I too old" to get a dermal anchor on my chest?

Another question would be "would a good piercer advise me not to get another piercing so soon after my nose and tongue?" Would it be a good sign if he said to wait since I just got my tongue and nose done?

A good piercer wouldn't have pierced you that many times in a short space of time.

As for age, why is it an issue?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I'm looking to get more piercings. I'm not one to do too much to my face and I want ones that would be interesting and kind of unique. What I was thinking was a dermal (or three) near my bra line. Thing is, I'm 48 and although I have a great chest still, am I too old?

My other question is are dermal piercings more expensive than a regular piercing? I have to save up a little before doing it so I was wondering if I need to save more and work a little hard to earn some cash.

How painful is a dermal and can you ever change them? I want just clear rhinestones to begin with because I wear a lot of necklaces that have rhinestones or cubic zirconia (I'm not a real diamonds girl because I lose things) but I'd maybe like to be able to add a garnet or something.

What kind of dermal piercings do others have and what kind of experiences have you had?
    You are never too old for a piercing! Its your body and you can do what you want to it whenever you want to do it! Doesn't matter if your 18, or 88!
    Dermals are a bit more expensive than a regular piercing. One dermal will typically run you between $40-60, but some places will cut you a deal if you get two or more at once.

I have two microdermals, one below each of my collar bones. They hurt and its a bit longer of a process than just getting a piercing. I'd rate it about a 7/10. But then again, I'm a big baby with pain! My navel was 10/10.
    The tops of dermals are unscrewable, so you can change them. I'd recommend going to a piercer and having them change it because they're pretty delicate!

My dermals are just over two weeks old and I'm wearing these on them. Once a week I'll go a day without wearing them just so they get air. But I wear these over them to keep them flush against the skin and to prevent them from catching on anything while they're healing. I'll probably wear them for another week or so. Plus by doing this they should heal flush to the skin instead of poking up a little bit. To clean them, I just peel off the bandage while i'm in the shower after I've washed everything else (its easy to peel them off if you have water trickling over the bandage.) Once they're off, I just let water run over them and I don't use soap. Then I get out and spray them with H2Ocean and let them air dry. Once they're dry, I put a new bandage on them.

Hope this all helps! Good luck and happy piercing!

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    A good piercer wouldn't have pierced you that many times in a short space of time.

As for age, why is it an issue?
    I definitely see your point, but it's not their fault. They've only pierced my tongue and my nose. The bellybutton was done at a different shop a month before my tongue. Neither shop knew, I had just gotten my ears done too and I didn't know to tell them. So as far as they knew, I had only had one recent piercing when I got my tongue and nose done.

My daughter is getting on me about the age thing and a couple other people like they think I'm crazy for getting all this done. I guess she thinks I'm too old to make the right decisions for me. She thinks piercing is only for the young. Hate to tell her, but some things you do when you're young do carry over to when you're old. I don't feel my age and I certainly don't plan to act it anytime soon.

I definitely see your point, but it's not their fault. They've only pierced my tongue and my nose. The bellybutton was done at a different shop a month before my tongue. Neither shop knew, I had just gotten my ears done too and I didn't know to tell them. So as far as they knew, I had only had one recent piercing when I got my tongue and nose done.

My daughter is getting on me about the age thing and a couple other people like they think I'm crazy for getting all this done. I guess she thinks I'm too old to make the right decisions for me. She thinks piercing is only for the young. Hate to tell her, but some things you do when you're young do carry over to when you're old. I don't feel my age and I certainly don't plan to act it anytime soon.
    Fair do's on the piercer, I thought when you asked that it was in reference to them knowing how many you had done recently or that they had been the one doing all the piercings.

As for your daughter she's entitled to her opinion but that's all it is, just go and do what you want in life, no point having a discussion over it. She'll realise in time that age is merely a number and there's no set way to 'act' any age anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast