Thread: Quick Question About Stretching Ears

Default Quick Question About Stretching Ears

I have been stretching my ears for about a year now and they're at 4g (not a big deal i know but i'm taking it slow and easy so i don't blow out and tear a lobe and have to start over again ^^;

Anyway, I've been using steel tapers for each and every one of my stretches, because I've heard some pretty scary experiences regarding using acrylic tapers so I've steered away from them.

But now I am in a bit of a predicament. I'm looking for tapers for my next step, from 4g to 2g. And usually Hot Topic or Spencers has exactly what I need. Yet all I can find at both stores is 1-2g tapers but they're all acrylic, no steel or 2-steel tapers for 4g stretching and below. Nothing for 2g or above.

I've checked three different Spencers stores nearby and two different Hot Topics. Nada.

I don't have any piercing places nearby. In fact the closet one is about 25 miles away and I don't even know if they sell tapers.

I can't buy online. Don't ask why, I just can't. And by 'can't' I mean 'definitely can't do it. not even for 2g tapers'.

So what I'm wondering is, would it really be so bad to use 2g acrylic tapers for this one stretch? I mean, it's not like I'm keeping them in for days or weeks. I put them in for about 5 minutes and then put the steel plugs in. No biggie right? Do they not stretch your ears correctly? Is the acrylic gonna infect or turn my ears green for the meager 5 minute I have them in? Is there a higher risk of tearing your ear lobes if you use acrylic tapers? Why are they so bad?

I just really wanna keep stretching but if I can't find steel 2g tapers and I can't use acrylic tapers, I've hit the end of the road :(

I wouldn't stress too much about what a taper is made of seeing as it's only in your ear for a matter of seconds. Unless you're wearing them as jewellery which you shouldn't be doing.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I have used acrylic tapers before and have had no problems with them. Its porus which is why it isn't recommended for long periods of time and some people have allergies to the stuff. I wear acrylic plugs but only when my ears are fully healed and I swap them out and clean them often. As long as you listen to your body you willknow if there is an issue or not. Your only usuing it for such a short amount of time I wouldn't stress it too much, you will be fine.

^^ Awesome! I hoped I'd get some reply quickly as I plan to go out to the mall tonight with some friends and planned on getting the tapers then. So now that I know that acrylic tapers are okay (as long as you don't wear them in place of plugs, which i don't) I can get them.
    Thanks again guys! Can't tell you how helpful this website forum has been to me

I'm at a 10mm not sure what gauge that is but I've always used the acrylic tapers. Sorry to jump your thread but I've never heard of steel tapers being better than acrylic?? What's the deal?

Steel is smoother and won't harbour nasties, however as mentioned above it doesn't matter a great deal seeing as a taper should only be used as a tool and in your ears for a matter of seconds. 9mm-10mm is known as 00g.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<