Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shiny in my tongue.

Default Shiny in my tongue.

Thought I'd take advantage of my new ability to create threads by sharing my newest piercing experience of getting my tongue done. Unfortunately don't have a high enough post count to put pics yet, but you can squint at my avatar for now if you so wish.

I've been wanting my tongue done for absolutely ages now, but kept putting it off for silly reasons, mainly fear about my father's reaction (he's a dentist whose professional life has led him to believe that oral piercings are the spawn of the devil, despite my numerous attempts to better inform him on the matter) but finally plucked up the courage and got it done on 7/2/2012.

Went down my usual haunt, Old London Road in Kingston (getting a cheeky plug in there - maybe I should tell them about it and they'll give me free shinies), filled out my release form and sat, waiting and shuffling slightly nervously while waiting for my piercer to finish getting the room all ready for me. I must confess, much as I like to perpetuate my image as something of a 'badman', as we say in dear old Blighty, this is one of my few piercings that I've actually been very nervous for. I'd read so many recounts saying that it barely hurts at all, but all I could think about is how much it hurts when you accidentally bite your tongue, and what if it was just like that but a million times worse? Luckily, my piercer is great, and she was just as chatty and casual with me as she always is, which relaxed me a fair bit. One minute we were laughing about her stories of how she liked to seek out all the girls she didn't like who went to goth clubs wearing cheap latex and stick pins in their clothes to make them explode, the next thing I know there's a clamp and a needle all up in my tongue's business. I was genuinely so surprised at how little it hurt, oh me of little faith who should have trusted all the recounts I had read. I do admittedly have a fairly high pain threshold, but on the scale of all my piercings so far, I'd actually put it as the least painful after my lobes. Even putting in the bar wasn't bad at all, so I was very happy to hand over my cash whilst commenting that the blue marking ink left all over my tongue made me look like I'd just sucked off a smurf.

Barely experienced any swelling at all in the first day, although was limited to a very exciting diet of soup and ice cubes, and talking was a bit off. I think at one point I mentioned that I sounded like Chewbacca on helium, but that may have been something of an exaggeration. The next day was a bit tougher. When I woke up, there was no denying my tongue had swollen, and it had those funny frills on the side of it from where it'd been pressing against my teeth. Even now, it still has a definitively pie-crusty quality to it, but is finally starting to go down a bit. Luckily, my piercer used a super long bar, so even with the swelling caused relatively little pain or discomfort. Particularly relieving as I had a bit of a horror story with a friend of mine who recently got her tongue done at a much less reputable place where they used a far too short bar, and she ended up having to go to frikkin A&E to get hers sorted. Needless to say, she got an earful of my classic 'you wouldn't go to a cheap, crappy doctor so why go to a cheap, crappy piercer if they're both dealing with your body and your health' lecture. But back to my shiny, day 2, eating was still tough, so yet more soup was called for, and things like coughing, yawning, and brushing my teeth were fairly tentative, twinge-y affairs. One thing that I found really helped, apart from swilling with mouthwash like a good 'un after eating, drinking, and smoking, was drinking soluble anadin. It worked amazingly quickly and was so much more convenient and soothing than trying to swallow a pill. Unfortunately, the one thing I'll say against it is that it tastes like a combination of dishwater and jizz, and even I who likes to boast of having an almost impossible to provoke gag reflex found it hard to swallow, but for the effect that it has, I'd still say it's worth it.

Currently on day 3, not much change from day 2, although I have started to notice a little, white-ish raised ring around the top ball, although I'm assured this is normal. Hopefully the swelling will start improving soon so I can get back to eating some proper food, as I am beginning to come to the end of my tether with bloody heinz cream of tomato with a side order of ice cubes. All in all though, I couldn't be happier with my new shiny, and more than anything, I'm just happy that I finally manned up and got it done after so many months of umm-ing and ah-ing about it. So far, it's been a lot less painful and a lot less hassle than I'd expected, and I have a feeling that as long as I keep treating it well and nothing untoward happens, it's going to be a very welcome and happy addition to my shiny collection.
    Piercings

Lobes x 3 (left)
    Lobes x 2 (right)
    Stretched lobe, 10mm (right)
    Conch (left)
    Daith (right)
    Nostril (left)
    Navel
    Tongue

Retired

Chest microdermal

Tattoos

Birth symbol on left wrist

Good job! Was an interesting read. I say this on everyone's tongue piercing threads but it is my next piercing if I dont chicken out again!!
    Now:
    left ear: lobes x2, tragus, helix, rook
    right ear: lobes x2, upper helix kinda thing
    left nostril, navel, septummmm!

Later:
    right forward helix or tragus, conch, maybe another lobe
    another helix on left ear
    tongue

Tattoos:

heart on my right foot <3

Well obviously it's your decision, but I'd really recommend it. Honestly, I kept going on about how I was going to get it done and then chickening out, I almost psyched myself out of it just as I was waiting for the piercer to get ready, but it was just so much better than I thought it would be, so I'd say go for it!
    Last edited by AnnaBee; 02-10-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    Piercings

Lobes x 3 (left)
    Lobes x 2 (right)
    Conch (left)
    Daith (right)
    Nostril (left)
    Navel
    Tongue

Retired

Chest microdermal

Tattoos

Birth symbol on left wrist

Thats what happened to me....I got myself so nervous and worked up about it I couldnt even make myself go to the shop lol. I think I will end up doing it eventually. I hope :p
    Now:

Later:
    tongue

Tattoos:

Looks great, Anna! i got mine done i think it was a month ago now? something like that. i had put it off for ages worried about the pain but realized how stupid i was being because it didnt even hurt xD ive had jabs at school that hurt more lmao. oh and its a great excuse to eat loads of icecream. it helps with the swelling a lot :P

spudkissed you still havent done it? :o you've been wanting it for ageesss. honestly the pain is nothing im so glad i got mine done. ibuprofen pretty much numbed my tongue for the whole first week & after that there was no pain at all. its just frustrating not being able to eat but you might be lucky & be able to after a couple of days.

This has got me so excited! I'm 16 on tuesday and want to get it soon as
    Current piercings
    Double lobes
    Right nostril
    Left helix
    Navel

Piercing wishlist
    Tongue
    Loooooooads more in my ears

Nope still havent done it haha. My current excuse now is I am waiting to hear back for a job I might be getting so want to get that all sorted first. But I should know for sure if Im getting hired in a week or two... so maybe if I get turned down, that will be my reward for failing to make me feel better haha. And then I wont have an excuse not to, unless I come up with a new one :p
    Now:

Later:
    tongue

Tattoos:

from what I can see, it looks really good !

I just got mine pierced today as well. Just like you, for some reason I was more nervous about this piercing than any of my others ....even though everyone had assured me that it barely hurts. Haha
    Alyssa

Current:
    Lobes 4x (2 per ear)
    Rook (right)
    Helix (left)
    Conch (left)
    Navel
    Tongue

-Tumblr-

Can I just ask were you able to speak fairly normally (ie. were people able to understand you) after the first couple of days, as this is the only thing putting me off as I speak a lot in my job and can't afford to take time off D:
    Bits of me that have been stabbed
    8mm lobes
    2nd lobes
    left rook
    right helix & tragus
    right conch
    paired nostrils
    philtrum
    nape MD
    nipples

Tumblr
    /Facebook/Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by marthamagic View Post
    Can I just ask were you able to speak fairly normally (ie. were people able to understand you) after the first couple of days, as this is the only thing putting me off as I speak a lot in my job and can't afford to take time off D:
    Well, obviously the swelling is different for everyone, but I was absolutely fine. My speech was a bit off for the first few days, but not nearly so much that people couldn't understand what I was saying. In fact, people who didn't know I'd gotten it done didn't even notice a difference. Hope that helps!
    Piercings

Lobes x 3 (left)
    Lobes x 2 (right)
    Conch (left)
    Daith (right)
    Nostril (left)
    Navel
    Tongue

Retired

Chest microdermal

Tattoos