Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: end of the world 2012 thoughts

Senior Member quotidianaubergine's Avatar

"Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out."

It's total crap. I'm open minded up to the point something has no scientific evidence whatsoever, then I'm an aggressive skeptic. Idiocy just...bothers me.
    currently: 1st lobes, 2nd lobes, nostril

retired: 1.6mm lobes, 6mm lobes, snug, 2 x helix, septum, 2 x nostril, 5mm lobes, labret, 8mm lobes, left tragus, right conch, right double forward helix

Eh I really don't believe in anything anymore, although the alledged "change of consciousness" thing would be nice haha, the world can't go on like this forever...
    As for the armageddon, no, I don't think so.

26mm both lobes, 6mm second lobes, 6mm left inner conch, 8mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm nipples, 1.2mm nostril
    18x18cm mandala scarification on thigh

tumblr

I doubt anything will happen, the calander only stops on that date, as they run out of room
    Piercings that I have:
    Right - Tragus
    Tongue
    Right &
    Left Nipple
    Snakebites
    Ear Lobes x 4 (2 * 6mm)

Piercings I'd like:
    Septum

hmm, i personally don't think the world will end this year, but i do believe it's gunna end waaaay earlier than we think, maybe not in my lifetime, but in my grandkid's maybe? i'm not sure. personally i have a little niggling feeling some sort of virus will wipe out the world (yes, like 28 weeks later or something idc) rather than a freaking calendar stopping. that's just my belief, and it could be either natural, like the swine flu, or man made.
    poh of the undead~

face: septum, cheeks
    oral: smiley, tongue web, venoms
    right ear: horizontal industrial, 16mm stretched lobe
    left ear: 2mm lobe
    retired: spiderbites (don't look right with cheeks) and my 2 collarbone dermals

Quote Originally Posted by quotidianaubergine View Post
    It's total crap. I'm open minded up to the point something has no scientific evidence whatsoever, then I'm an aggressive skeptic. Idiocy just...bothers me.
    Agreed. I mean, there's every chacne we could destroy ourselves this year, but no more so than last year, or ten years ago.
    If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.

Lifting big, getting bigger.

No use for an imaginary friend.

There are so manyyyy calendars in the world, all with different dates and some have ended and some will not for a long time. In Ethiopia the year is 2004. so no, the world will not end in 2012 because of the mayans saying so. Why only focus on the Mayan calendar ???????? that is my question. makes no freaking sense and there is no scientific explanation!
    Loved the hobbit idea :P

And personally, there are so many things I still want to do and experience, and I need time. Also 2011 was a shit year for generally, and I want to live many great years to balance it off!

I don't know much about it, but as far as I'm aware this calender system has existed before the Mayans, and has been passed down through several meso-American civilisations, starting at the Olmecs, and probably existed before them too. Their calender system indicates cyclic destruction of the civilisation which when translated into the Gregorian calender shows our current age to end at the end of this year, as it's the end of 13 Baktun and the age of the 5th sun, and supposedly the next age heralds the beginning of the end. Most people dismiss it as rubbish, as it's just the roll over from their base 20 long count system, as far as I understand it. Nonetheless it's a pretty cool idea, the Mayans were seemingly amazing astronomers as their calender is based on synodic returns of planets and planetary alignments, pretty impressive for people that lacked a telescope.
    Last edited by Alex696; 03-20-2012 at 09:40 PM.

I refuse to believe it, purely because if it doesn't end I wanna go round to everyone who was shitting themselves over it and say "I told you so"
    And if it does they'll be no-one to say "I told you so" to me, so in my books everyone's a winner
    Bits of me that have been stabbed
    8mm lobes
    2nd lobes
    left rook
    right helix & tragus
    right conch
    paired nostrils
    philtrum
    nape MD
    nipples

Tumblr
    /Facebook/Twitter

if it was gunna end, wouldn't scientists have predicted it? they've predicted that one day in thousands of years (maybe more maybe less) that, in short, the Sun's just gunna eat almost all of our Solar System. so..
    poh of the undead~

face: septum, cheeks
    oral: smiley, tongue web, venoms
    right ear: horizontal industrial, 16mm stretched lobe
    left ear: 2mm lobe
    retired: spiderbites (don't look right with cheeks) and my 2 collarbone dermals

More like 5 billion years ;P

If we were to believe the Maya (although this whole 2012 thing isn't a Maya phenomenon) about this (and "this" being that the end of the 13th b'ak'tun, not[!] the end of the calendar, would indicate the end to our world, since according to Maya beliefs the previous world ended after 13 b'ak'tuns), why not take into account their inscribtions about events occuring after the year 2012? For instance, those taking place in 41 octillion years/41 octillion years ago?

The Maya Long Count is not cyclical, though their Calendar Round is. Just like our calendar extends over 12 months, their Calendar Round extends over 52 solar years (Haabs). So unless the world ends every 52 years, this has nothing to do with their Calendar Round, and saying their Long Count would end after 13 b'ak'tuns (regardless of it being the end of the world or not) is like saying our equivalency would after 13 centuries/millenniums/whatevs.. It's fucking linear.

The end of the 13th b'ak'tun, and the beginning of the 14th, is a ground for celebration to the Maya. Either for celebrating an important event in ancient history, or "the new world" - not to be taken literally.

About the stone inscribtions found decades ago, and it's alleged reference to Dec 21st 2012, it can't be properly interpreted due to damage. It doesn't include a future tense marking, and this would indicate it being a describtion of an historical event, not a prophetic one, of someone's arrival (possibly Bolon Yookte' K'uh's, the god of war and the underworld). But, apocalypse lovers choose to believe it FITS JUST RIGHT OMG THIS IS HAPPENING.

We're just as obsessed with the end/Armageddon/the Rapture/the Second Coming/Ragnarök/2012 as we are of death/Hades/Hel/Azrael/Anubis/Grim Reaper/Death, the cute girl from The Sandman... It's a reminder of our mortality and should keep us grounded, not our retarded minds up in the clouds. Nevertheless, when the 21st of Dec arrives, I'm gonna get drunk like it's 1929.
    Last edited by Freaku; 03-26-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    Have (16):
    Right ear: 1st 2g, 2nd 14g, tragus 16g, conch 14g, 2 helices 16g
    Left ear: 1st 0g, tragus
    16g
    Snakebites 14g
    Philtrum 16g
    Cheeks
    14g
    2x diagonal nipple 14g
    Navel 14g

Retired:
    3 lobe piercings