Thread: Swollen Forward Helix?

Post Swollen Forward Helix?

So I had my Forward Helix pierced 2 weeks this forthcoming Tuesday. I'm experiancing no blood or pus (just your natural lymph every once in a while, even then it's not very frequent at all). But there's swelling around the front and back of the piercing (no redness, though) and if I move my face in such a position sometimes the piercing is uncomfortable... I've been meaning to use ice on it but will this really be effective? How long will it take this discomfort and swelling to go?

Just remember my note in saying there's no sign of redness, blood or pus, just the skin has raised around the piercing.
    Thanks
    Left Ear: 10mm Lobe, x2 1.2mm Forward Helix
    Right Ear: 10mm Lobe, 1.2mm Tragus, 1.6mm Conch
    Facial/Oral: 1mm Double Nostril, 1.2mm Double Eyebrow, 1.2mm Labret, 1.2mm Smiley, 1.6mm Tongue
    Other: 1.6mm Double Horizontal Nipple x2

Retired: x1 Anti-Tragus, x1 Septum, x 1 Industrial/Scaffold, hundreds of standard ear piercings

*Doing stupid things for sensible reasons*

I have a helix piercing that is 10 days old & its my first experience with Cartledge healing. Mine is going well but still sore both ends & was looking a little puffy but no blood or infection. Bit like yours! Just the wound starting its long journey of healing. I did a sea soak last night & the tissue is looking less red. I have been using the easy piercing solution in orange & had been told the saline (blue) was to be started in 2 weeks. After reading about the value of sea soaks on this forum I thought I would try. It felt instantly better. I am decreasing using the use of the antibacterial solution & will continue the saline. I am not sure how long the discomfort & swelling will take either!
    I am thinking of a forward helix for the future.
    Jo

Will the day be bright or cloudy?
    Sweetly has its dawn begun
    But the heaven may shake with thunder
    Ere the setting of the sun
    Emily Bronte 1836

I have: First lobes, single Right nostril, left tragus, naval, left Conch and new Right 14 gauge conch
    Retired 2nd lobes, daith, rook and helix8

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbielf View Post
    I have a helix piercing that is 10 days old & its my first experience with Cartledge healing. Mine is going well but still sore both ends & was looking a little puffy but no blood or infection. Bit like yours! Just the wound starting its long journey of healing. I did a sea soak last night & the tissue is looking less red. I have been using the easy piercing solution in orange & had been told the saline (blue) was to be started in 2 weeks. After reading about the value of sea soaks on this forum I thought I would try. It felt instantly better. I am decreasing using the use of the antibacterial solution & will continue the saline. I am not sure how long the discomfort & swelling will take either!
    I am thinking of a forward helix for the future.
    ^^ This... I had both my industrials done less than a year ago (One in each ear, at the same time). I wanted to literally soak them with sea salt instead of using a cotton ball to soak as I was instructed to do. I needed a practical bowl to do it because of the awkward placing of the piercings. I went out and purchased a zip lock storage container that was about an inch deep and 4-5 inches wide. I laid on the floor with the solution in the new bowl and held each ear in the solution for about 10 minutes a piece, twice a day and I was able to sleep comfortably on them within a few days. The sea salt naturally brings any impurities out of a wound, in this case your piercing. It feels instantly better as Jo stated. It also heals a lot faster.
    Current Piercings: Industrial (left and right), Lobes (3 on left and 3 on right), Helix (left ear), Tongue (6g), Lobret (right), Nipple (left and right)
    Retired Piercings:
    Eyebrow (left), Nose (right), Navel
    Wanted Piercings:
    MDs on top of wrists, Rook, Conch, Septum
    Current Tattoos:
    Last name on lower back, Dragon on right ankle, Nautical stars with my kids names on each wrist, Mother's name across my heart.
    Wanted Tattoos:
    Teddy bear with angel wings across my shoulder blades

Ahah yup, all my piercings were healed with sea salt I have a huge tub of it I have, also, of course, been using it for my forward helix and will continue to do so glad to know the swelling is a normal process, all my old cartialage piercings aren't with me anymore
    Left Ear: 10mm Lobe, x2 1.2mm Forward Helix
    Right Ear: 10mm Lobe, 1.2mm Tragus, 1.6mm Conch
    Facial/Oral: 1mm Double Nostril, 1.2mm Double Eyebrow, 1.2mm Labret, 1.2mm Smiley, 1.6mm Tongue
    Other: 1.6mm Double Horizontal Nipple x2

Retired: x1 Anti-Tragus, x1 Septum, x 1 Industrial/Scaffold, hundreds of standard ear piercings

*Doing stupid things for sensible reasons*

Default How has it gone since? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Quaver View Post
    So I had my Forward Helix pierced 2 weeks this forthcoming Tuesday. I'm experiancing no blood or pus (just your natural lymph every once in a while, even then it's not very frequent at all). But there's swelling around the front and back of the piercing (no redness, though) and if I move my face in such a position sometimes the piercing is uncomfortable... I've been meaning to use ice on it but will this really be effective? How long will it take this discomfort and swelling to go?

Just remember my note in saying there's no sign of redness, blood or pus, just the skin has raised around the piercing.
    Thanks
    Thankyou!! Finally someone else with the same thing. Mine is about 3-4 weeks old and it got better very quickly after the piercing pain-wise, it will easily turn, it's not red or oozing anything... My ear is just a bit swollen. Not even an amount that would be noticeable to someone else, I can just tell its different to my other ear. It's been like this for a week or two now.. It was healing perfectly and then one night I drunkenly slept on it and it got a bit sore the next day and has been puffy since.

so I was just wondering how yours is looking now? Swelling reducing? Or do I need to act before I have a permanent puffy ear haha.

Quote Originally Posted by stapledaudio View Post
    it will easily turn
    Don't turn it. You're stopping it healing.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    Don't turn it. You're stopping it healing.
    Ill try that. Thanks.

Why is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Louise_Tee View Post
    Why is this?
    Why is what? Not to turn it? It basically irritates the hell out of it.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<