Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tongue Venoms and a box of Quality Street [diary]

Default Tongue Venoms and a box of Quality Street [diary]

Hi my name is Stuart. I’m a 30 year old lad from Liverpool. I guess I grew an attraction towards body piercing during my 20’s but never really plucked up the courage to get my first one (labret) until last March when I was 29. I thought I would write this diary of my recent tongue venom piercing at Bodywork 2 in Liverpool. Its my second piercing. I wrote the majority of it around about the fifth day, looking back over what had happened previously. I then finished off writing the rest of it over the last few days or so. Apologies in advance if it skips in and out of correct tense at times.

Day One - Thursday 22nd December

Left work at 3:30pm went the bank and headed up to the piercing shop. Bloke who works on the till greeted me and laughed when I told him I wanted tongue venoms doing. He thought I was daft wanting them 3 days before Christmas. However I’d finished work today for two and a half weeks so saw it as an ideal opportunity to recover in comfort at home, rather than being stuck at work with a sore mouth and a daft sounding lisp. Best part of Christmas for me is the time off work anyway so I wasn’t too bothered.

Had a good chat with Lucy who is the second in command there and told her I was still intent on getting them done. Went in and Sandra who does the piercings marked the dots on my tongue. Marking the right side first she put the dot a bit too near the front and the edge for my liking so I asked her to take it back a bit and also bring it a little more into the centre. The dot on the right seemed good this time so I agreed with the placement but on the left hand side the dot was slightly lower so instead of drawing it higher up she just put the clamp above the dot and managed to convince me it would be fine doing it like that. I suppose in hindsight I should have asked her to re draw the dot again as it’s a tad lazy. Although I have to say that has been my only complaint about the place as they’re normally very friendly and offer good aftercare. After declining anaesthetic with my labret, and a bit of deliberation, I decided to have it this time. The needles and jewellery went through pretty effortlessly.

Looking in the mirror afterwards the first thing I noticed was the one on the left seemed about a millimetre or so lower than the right. It was kind of as if she’d pierced it above the dot as promised but maybe just not high enough(?) Mentioned it at the time and she told me to wait until it’s healed as it might level out. Nevertheless it was still a great buzz seeing them for the first time! They looked and felt proper massive-like two big knitting needles in my gob! Back in the reception they gave me some ice, took a look at my labret (been a bit soar lately) and we discussed coming back for a check up. Strange how the soreness my labret was causing would soon disappear over the following days now that I had another type of pain to occupy my mind. I think I play with my labret too much to be honest which doesn’t help.

Over the ensuing hours I could feel my mouth begin to stiffen up and speech gradually becoming more slurry. I wanted to go straight home afterwards but I still had some late Christmas shopping to do which was a bit of a drag. Stopped off at Tesco on the way home. Bought two boxes of lolly ices, a tub of Cornish ice cream and some ibuprofen. Wouldn’t normally pay £4.29 for ice cream alone but this time I made an exception!

Got home and OH, as predicted, was disgusted with my fantastic new piercings. She literally wouldn’t even look at them as she dislikes them that much. Tried to tell her numerous times that they were £65 but she refused to believe they cost as much. At one point I ended up joking that they “only cost £35.” She believed it too so I decided to stick with that in the end as it seemed to suit both of us. Still waiting for her to chuck me out though as that’s what she threatened would happen before going through with both this and my labret. Still waiting for that day when I come home only to see my wardrobe strewn across the pavement! Her 11yr daughter was made up with the fact I’d got my tongue pierced. She’s very fashion conscious and in her world (single) tongue and belly button piercings are trendy. Unlike my labret which everyone hates.

We were having takeaway for tea so I thought a sausage dinner with extra gravy would be a wise choice. It took me a long time to finish it and it was quite hard going but I knew this would only be the start.

Day Two - Friday 23rd December

Woke up in the early hours of the morning in agony. Made my way into the bathroom and saw in the mirror my mouth was full of blood. It had become incredibly dry during the night and felt almost as though someone had taken a giant staple gun and used it to bolt my tongue down inside my mouth it was that bad. This was without a doubt the worst moment of the entire healing process.

I’d already agreed to go out for a meal and drinks with OH that evening so there was no getting out of it. We went to our local Chinese. I didn’t hold back though. With the aid of some ibuprofen and a few pints of lager I managed to scoff a soup, 3 pieces of prawn toast, 2 spring rolls and a roast duck with prawn meat and egg fried rice for main course and didn’t even leave a crumb. I was in a hell of a lot of pain eating it but in my mind I’d accepted that that was always going to be the case so just had to get on with it. Luckily the deliciousness of the food was helping to counter balance the pain. I was naturally induced into scrunching up my whole face, including my eyes, as I tolerated the pain from chewing each mouthful. Apparently the restaurant staff had been giving me some bemused looks. They must have been trying to figure out why this strange man looked like he couldn’t stand the taste of the food, yet bizarrely wouldn’t stop eating it! I eventually finished a whopping 40 minutes after OH when normally I’m a lot quicker than her.

My piercer believes its fine to drink alcohol anytime after the initial 2 hours following an oral piercing and I didn’t have any trouble drinking after my labret so come the end of the evening I had consumed about six pints of beer and half a bottle of her Sheridan’s liqueur after we got home.

Showed my new shinnies to my mum who was babysitting for us only for her to reply “how old are you?” She thinks body piercing is strictly for teenagers.

I can feel the bottom ball of the right bar rubbing against the inside of the gum occasionally but so far it hasn’t caused any discomfort.

Day Three - Christmas Eve

Woke up late. I was supposed to be going back to the shop for a check up today. Today was the last day they were going to be open for another 6 days. But I didn’t leave the house until after 3pm, rang them on my way but got no answer and they had gone by the time I got there. My fault should have known they might finish early on their last day before Christmas. Did a bit of shopping in town and felt a bit soft when asking for “schpoons and dishposchable lightersh” in Home Bargains!

My tongue has swelled today and there’s very little room left on the bars should it swell any further. In fact the tongue tissue is creeping up around foot of the balls themselves. If it carries on I think I might be at risk of them embedding. My piercer used 18mm bars. Sounded like she thought about using 22mm but decided against it. My tongue has began turning yellow today as well.

Got a bit of a cold at the moment and whenever I cough it propels my tongue forward in my mouth which ends up twanging the balls and is painful as French Connection UK. The balls feel like two big spiky football boot studs in the front of my mouth right now.
    The bottom right ball which was rubbing yesterday has now started to hurt. I can numb the pain out with pain killers though. I began alternating my ibuprofen with cocodamol today.

Homemade chicken and ham pie with mash potato for tea tonight. The mash is a god send. I thoroughly recommend it in such circumstances. Pie crust is nice but had to give the harder chunks of meat inside a miss though. I’m trying to time my tablets an hour before meals so that I get the most benefit from them when eating.

I’ve been eating a bowl of mashed up Cornish ice cream most evenings. Not so much to help with the swelling but just because it’s so nice to be able to enjoy eating something that tastes great yet causes little to no pain at the same time. Quality Street on the other hand are deceiving little buggers. They tempt you in with their soft orange and strawberry fondants but the damn things get stuck all over your teeth and are proper agony to get off! My auntie bought me a large jar for Christmas and I keep going back to it like a sucker!

Day Four - Christmas Day

More yellowness and the swelled tissue has grown even further up the bars now. At least 20% of the studs at each end are now covered. You can see little craters forming underneath the balls where they have been digging in. The fact that balls are digging in seems to be causing extra pain on top. Fortunately the rate of the swelling has actually decreased and with it being the fourth day I knew there was a good chance this would be the worse it was going to get. But I’d keep an eye on it every few hours just in case.
    We were due to have a three bird roast for Christmas tea but I persuaded OH to do pasta instead. She did the pasta which was understandably easier for me to eat but she had a right nark on about us not having a roast on Christmas Day - thanks to me. Currently getting the big “no sympathy” thing at home.

Day Five - Boxing Day

Despite another sore morning, mornings being the other bad time of the day along with eating, from Boxing Day onwards I eventually began to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Grabbed chips and gravy at the match and, although still bad, could feel a slight ease to eating them compared to previous days. The three bird roast that night however was very tough and the flavour of the meal (in my self pitying state) just didn’t grab me at all so I ended up leaving a lot of it.

Days Six / Seven / Eight

Able to stretch my tongue a bit more now. I can bend it round and touch the front of my front teeth. Can’t quite get as far as that bit of frenum at the top or around any of the sides though. That still hurts way too much. I guess we fail to realise how much we rely on our tongues. They’re not just for talking but for eating too. After we take a bite of food not every bit goes down first time when we swallow. We are left with bits of debris at the front of our mouths and in the canals in front of our teeth. Under normal circumstances we’d simply use our tongues to manoeuvre these bits to the back of our mouths for a secondary swallowing but with my tongue out of action I’ve had to improvise by swilling my mouth with water, which is still difficult in itself, and simply plucking the bits stuck in the gum canals out with my finger!

It was during these couple of days that I made some fantastic progress up my improvised tongue healing pain-ometer - aka the Quality Street jar. Basically you’ve got the ones with soft creamy centres at the bottom they’re the easiest of the lot. Then you’ve got your middle ranked ones like your pink fudges and your (goes to find Quality Street jar to check what the chocs were again...) blue coconut éclairs and your green triangles. Well they’re the ones I moved onto today. It felt like a mini triumph. It’s just so nice to be able to taste a different flavour of chocolate for once. Not ready for the Toffee Pennies yet though. They’re proper hardcore those!

From the start of the second week onwards things began getting noticeably easier day by day. Although the pain from the rubbing of the bottom right ball did transfer to the left side for a while before eventually stopping altogether. Day nine was the last time I woke up in any pain and I was also getting a lot less pain when eating. In fact the pain when eating was starting to become replaced by a feeling of tiredness in my oral muscles instead. I was starting to be able to reach down into my gum canals with my tongue when attempting it as a one off now but was still unable to do so on a consistent enough basis to remove food during a meal as the tiredness, as just described, would simply get the better of me. Writing this a tad over two weeks later my mouth feels more or less back to normal once more.

I will be going back the shop for a check up and downsize tomorrow. Hopefully that will help cure the lisp I’ve still got. Probably should have gone last week but was struck down with a bit of the old man flu so I thought I’d leave it until I was back in work.

Oh yeah and I finally managed to eat that Toffee Penny on Friday. I would say that officially declares level three; the final realm conquered!

This was taken on day six. It's the earliest one I've got. ^^^

Day Nine. ^^^

Tonight (day 18) with 6cm balls. ^^^
    Last edited by Kurdt Kobain; 01-10-2012 at 03:14 AM.

I just need to get this off my chest. I’m still glad I got them done and sometimes this doesn’t bother me but at times I’ve been having a few doubts about the placement lately. It’s been bugging me how close together they are. They don't hurt but in hindsight maybe they would have looked better being a bit wider instead. I can’t but help looking at them sometimes and thinking they just look like “two in the middle” rather than proper “venoms” as such if that makes any sense? Sometimes I’ve been going as far as contemplating getting them re done (starting to like the idea of three with a slightly stretched one in the middle) but I’m not going to do anything too hasty though. I think I’ll give it a few months to see if my anxieties have cool first.

Would really appreciate some opinions regarding the placement though. Do they look odd being so close together or not? (sorry I'm just a worrier).
    Last edited by Kurdt Kobain; 01-10-2012 at 03:32 AM.

The do look closer than most I've seen. Was this more a vein issue than anything? Maybe it was the only placement possible?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I think with the smaller balls they look further apart, so maybe go back to balls that size if you want them to appear that way. I prefer that look tbh, but other than that, I think they look fine! Glad to hear they have settled down for you.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Nah they said my veins were ok. She was going to do them on the sides at first but right at the front. I said I wanted them a bit further back then also told her to go in towards the centre a bit too. Really regret it now.

What I had in mind at the time was if you imagine I split my tongue in two then put each ball right in the middle of each segment (left and right) but the placement here has gone further in still.

I can't remember if I've asked her to go that far in or whether it's just turned out like that I'm not sure I'm a bit hazy tbh.

One of my concerns about them being too wide was that the bottom balls might rub my molar gums a bit. They certainly were doing so last week when my tongue was still swollen. Would that kind of rubbing be a concern of having them placed quite widely apart? Or would that just be taken care of by shortening the bar etc?

They look like they both migrated a few mm's forward too and the right one seems to have migrated slightly towards the middle as well which doesn't help either.

I like them closer together. But if you are unhappy I would go back! Especially if they are rubbing badly.

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

this is exactly how i want mine!

Personally I think 2 6mm titanium balls in my mouth would be awful, with rubbing and chipping and all that D; If its just for the looks then maybe having smaller balls on the bottom would be better for your rubbing problem?

I really enjoyed this diary and I like them as they are, but I understand what you mean. Healing time isn't that long and its worth getting them redone if you're really unhappy, just go in and explain everything to the piercer x
    I'm Cherry *^-^*

Stretched: 20mm ears

Piercings: 1.6mm Cheeks, 2.4mm septum, 1.2mm medusa, 1.6mm conch, 1.2mm tragus, both ears pierced, 1 x microdermals, navel.

Tattoos: Half sleeve 1 session from finished, Angel-ey thing on each atm, Vines down spine, 5 butterflies on back. Daisy on inner thigh. Black heart on nape. Smiley face on knee.

Retired/Rejected: 13 microdermals, 2 surface bars, Monroe, 2 x navel, nostril, 2mm tongue, webbing, labret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast