Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piercing after a life changing event?

Default Piercing after a life changing event?

Hi all, I'm kind of wondering if any of you have gotten a piercing after going through a really important/serious/scary/happy/anything event?

My boyfriend's father passed away yesterday afternoon after suffering only a short month with end stage liver cancer. It is both a relief and a horrid experience.

(is there a thread anywhere that i can talk about this and maybe get advice from some of you?)

Anyway, in commemoration I guess, I don't know if that is the correct word, my boyfriend bought himself a guitar that he's been craving for a while, a gorgeous '98 ibanez jem! I think that I would like to get a piercing in commemoration of this life changing experience just to remind myself about the positive side of everything and the beauty that life really does hold for those who can see it.

I'm thinking a rook. It just feels right.

Anybody do something similar? How did it make you feel after you did it? Do you still have it? It doesn't necessarily need to be a piercing.

Thanks guys <3
    I'm Maia!

What I have?
    2x both lobes | helix--> left ear | navel

What I want?
    right rook | left tragus | VCH | conch shell tattoo | fairy tattoo | cat's paw print tattoo
    more!

What I'm looking into?
    conch | a nip? | nostril

My cat [Sven] is a Swedish secret agent!

i've done this. I had my microdermal done after my boyfriend cheated on me (yay...) as a "look how strong I am" thing for myself, and my septum done when I got the results for my MA. I still have both.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and for me finding something beautiful, as you say, really helped. Look after yourself xxx
    *EV*

Piercings
    Right lobe x 3
    Left lobe x 3
    Right helix 2mm x 2
    Right tragus
    Right rook
    Left conch

Left forward helix
    Microdermal behind right ear
    Right Transverse Lobe

Septum - first facial piercing!

Ink
    Left wrist treble clef
    Right ankle paw prints

Left full thigh piece

Wants!
    Full back piece (drawn, waiting to reach goal weight)
    Eyes, right forearm
    Anti tragus
    Helix spiral
    Daith

I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend :x and sorry if this sounds dense but what is an MA? I'm glad to hear you still have both of them!

And thank you, it's a lot harder than I thought it'd be. The beauty in everything definitely helps. Last night, my boyfriend said to me "one thing to always thanks father for is that we'll never be homeless. How many people can say that?" and he's totally right and there is an immense beauty in that to me. I haven't told him yet about my plans for a rook piercing, but he will be informed soon!

Thank you though, for your response <3
    I'm Maia!

What I have?

What I want?
    right rook | left tragus | VCH | conch shell tattoo | fairy tattoo | cat's paw print tattoo
    more!

What I'm looking into?
    conch | a nip? | nostril

Firstly, *hugs*. I'm sorry for your loss. I love the idea too, I know a lot of people get memorial tattoos (i'm friends with a girl who recently got one for her twin brother actually), and I think any way to remember that person is nice. It doesn't matter how you express it, but a piercing is also a nice idea.
    Personally I got a piercing after my grandad died, but it wasn't really for those reasons. If you feel that is the best way to express it, I think it's lovely.
    Sorry i'm wording things rubbishly.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

I guess I got some of my piercings, sort of in celebration of my body and trying to like it more. I do like myself a lot more with the piercings and I feel a lot more attractive anyway! I won't be taking any of them out anytime soon that's for sure.

I also know someone who had two children, a boy and a girl and so she got one pink and one blue microdermal after their birth. I think that's pretty sweet. If you feel like this is something you want to do then you should go for it, hopefully the piercing would last a long time and would always be a little reminder of him, like you're carrying him wherever you go in a sense. Sending you, your boyfriend and the rest of your family lots of love at this difficult time.
    4 x Lobes
    2 x MDs Lower Back
    Navel + Inverse Navel
    4 x Surface Hips
    3 x Left Inner Conch
    3x Left Outer Conch
    Right Rook
    2 x Right Conch
    Right Helix
    Septum
    Orchid Tattoo Ribs + Disney Tattoo Thigh

Its not something I would do personally because i wouldn't feel like getting pierced or tattooed after such an event.

I don't know how to do multiple quotes, especially because I'm on my phone but soph_17, thank you for the hug. And yeah I think my boyfriend is eventually going to go for his first tattoo and itll have something to do with fishing because his dad loved fishing and the sea. But me, i don't think a tattoo would be good because as much as I adore my boyfriend and intend on being with him for as long as I can, shit happens and I don't want to be walking around for the rest of my life with a memory of someone else's father in my skin. But I think as I've been curious about rooks and he really has done so much for us, I would like, as you say, to walk around with something on my body to express how I'm feeling and my gratitude towards him. He gave us a home, full of furniture, he gave amazing memories to his son, and he also gave me his son, you know? So I wouldn't be where I am right now if it weren't for him. I'm sorry to hear about your friend and her twin :/ that's awful, I've read that twins have crazy strong bonds! That must be really hard. And I'm definitely sorry about your grandad, what piercing did you get after that? I'm about to lose my grandfather as well, but I realized today we don't have that good of a relationship. I just think we need something else to think about, put our minds into. My boyfriend told me about 20 minutes ago, actually that no matter what he's doing, he can't stop thinking about. I know he'll think about it for a while, but I wanna take both of our minds off of the subject when the time is right. I'm already planning things I also feel like if I have something else to put my energy into, I won't be getting so upset and I'm trying really hard not to cry so much in front of my boyfriend and it's hard. I do feel like something to put my energy into would be helpful (as another reason)!

And NatalieMT, I'm glad you're feeling good about yourself! No matter what we look like, we're all beautiful and perfect in our own way, including you I felt the same about getting my belly button pierced :x I kinda disliked my figure a lot and I hated my stomach cuz its kinda hairy because I'm part Hispanic (Hispanics are kinda hairy, even the women) and now I rarely care about my hair! Haha and that is sweet! That sounds really adorable. I definitely feel like this is something I should do, something about this plan feels so right. I'm the type that no matter how much of a hassle it is, I really wouldn't retire it. My helix piercing gave me so much lip in its early days! It was awful and sore and bothersome but I loved it too much :') I really do want to walk around knowing that I have in some way thanked his father for all he's done for us. Every time my boyfriend and I will talk about it, I'll remind him that it's just to show how thankful I am that he's here with me today all because of his father. I want to always remember him without having him in my skin. Even if my boyfriend and I split up at some point, his father still did a lot for me. I'll always be thankful.

And sellomane, thank you for your input. I understand what you mean because I should be grieving and stuff instead of healing something, but I would rather take my mind off of the grief to allow my boyfriend to grieve fully. He can't grieve if I'm crying everytime that i walk into his father's room, or think about the emotional breakdown my boyfriend had, he'll be too busy comforting me and I feel that would be selfish of me.

Thank you all!
    I'm Maia!

What I have?

What I want?
    more!

What I'm looking into?
    conch | a nip? | nostril

I got 3 dermals in my wrist in memory of my dad. As I am not allowed tattoos I got 3 dermals and if I ever find letter tops for them I will spell dad on my wrist xx
    .. U K R e d ..
    http://www.justgiving.com/Andrea-Smith-MND
    -------------
    PIERCINGS: 17
    Scaffold, Rook, Tragus (x2), 5mm Lobes and Standard Lobes
    Eyebrow (x2), Nose, Navel, Tongue, Snakebites, Central Labret and Medusa
    MICRODERMALS: 6
    Wrist (x2), Sternum (x3) and Under Eye
    TATTOOS:
    Elephant (forearm): Truck (hip): Half Music Sleeve in Progress
    WISHLIST:
    Tats: Harley Quinn, More to Music Sleeve & Medical Alert Details

I would definitely get a piercing to celebrate an event or someone's life. Like when I lose weight, and have my stomach repair surgery, I want to get a navel piercing.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRed View Post
    I got 3 dermals in my wrist in memory of my dad. As I am not allowed tattoos I got 3 dermals and if I ever find letter tops for them I will spell dad on my wrist xx
    They have external ends of D and A on crazy factory, and you can get 1.6mm external to 1.2mm internal converers, so you can make your own dermal ends!
    D end
    A end
    Converter
    Converter (UK)
    Hello im Laura
    Failbook

Have:
    10mm lobes
    1.6mm 2nd lobes
    1.2mm rook (L) 28/7/11
    1.6mm philtrum 27/10/11
    1.6mm snakebites 28/12/11
    1.6mm triple helix spiral (R) 5/4/11
    Want:
    Daith (R)
    Helix (L)
    Septum
    Tattoos! (Once ive lost weight and got my designs sorted)
    My signature makes an arrow! Thanks spudkissed for pointing it out!

I guess I kind of did this when my boyfriend broke up with me. It was a really hard time for me and looking back I realised that the stress from him and his clingy family had just started to suck away the person who I was. I went to stay with a friend and got my ears done again and my medusa, started stretching my ears and just doing finally what I'd wanted to for so long but for some reason I'd just lost the energy too. I've plans for more and really it's about becoming more of who I want to be. I'll be doing it for a tattoo too, my best friend killed himself three months ago, his parents have got tattoos as memorials for him as have his girlfriend and another friend. It's not for everyone, but it feels right. Really sorry to hear about your boyfriend, my friend if going through the same thing with his father and it's never a good thing, best you can do is look at the positives that his dad made during his lifetime.
    Left lobe - 4mm
    Left Conch
    Left Pinna
    Right Lobe 1.2mm + 1.6mm
    Right Auricle
    Medusa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast