Page 8 of 89 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: General Cooking Thread

AWESOME that you both liked it! I also discovered last night that raw asparagus is great too (with some olive oil and salt and pepper). Spread the raw veggie love (: (and my name's Erin hehe)
    I've recently started like a food blog just to post what I eat, so if anyone's interested it's at http://omnomvegan.tumblr.com - there's not much on it at the moment though :3

hey, stay young, and invincible, because we know just who we are

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

it's SO yummy! I love it!! Super excited for my lunch tomorrow now! Haha!
    Felt a bit odd making that then straight after making egg pasta with a cheese sauce.. I'm in awe of you managing to be vegan, I don't think I could do it!
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Default Khylee's Bday dinner

Tonight I roasted 2 chickens, seasoned with some sage, poultry seasoing, cayanne pepper and salt and pepper to taste, underneath the chicken there are, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, green beans and garlic. Also some garlic butter rolls. For someone so little she sure did enjoy it.

Last night I made cajun chicken with a creamy sauce and noodles. Was absolutely beautiful, was the first time I'd made it and I'll definitely be making it again! I think I used a little too much double cream for the sauce though as it got a bit sickly the more I ate..but hey, trial and error!
    Hi, I'm Philly

Current;

L industrial | L rook | L conch | R tragus | R helix | R daith | 4 x standard lobe | 2 x 6mm lobe | L nostril | Septum |

Retired;
    L nipple | Navel |

Find me;
    Blog| Instagram

I hate cooking.....no, hate is not the right word. I *loathe* it. I am only cooking because I have to and I want my daughter to be eating healthy things. I don't know how I can make myself to make cooking to be at least tolerable? It's horrible for me to have to be in the kitchen to cook.......I am depressed for hours afterwards.

Edit: Last thing I made was this:

Very Mediterranean recipe (where I am from), yellow and red peppers, take all the inside core out, stuffing has minced meat, rice, parsley, basil, some mint, stick it in the oven, a bit of yellow cheese on top the last 10 mins and voila. Very easy to do and absolutely delicious.
    Last edited by Marianne; 01-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    "When I turn around and walk away, it doesn't mean you've won. It means your stupid ass isn't worth any more of my time."

Tumblr

Facebook

I figure this is the place to ask ..... how do you cook a steak? Properly, so you don't wear your jaw out trying to eat it?
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

^ I'm really not an expert since I almost never prepare meat, but my guess would be slowly, with a tiny bit of oil, and covered, lowered heat so it cooks well, and then after it's almost done you can uncover it and let it develop a nice colour.
    Depend how you like it really, you can make it in the oven too, fried, etc...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to cook with quinoa? I've bought a pack for the first time and I want a tasty and simple recipe to try it. I have a frozen vegetable mix (broccoli, cauliflower and baby carrots), and some corn (but I can buy some more stuff p I was thinking a salad of some sort. Suggestions?
    Last edited by Drynwhyl; 01-14-2012 at 07:00 PM.

26mm both lobes, 6mm second lobes, 6mm left inner conch, 8mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm nipples, 1.2mm nostril
    18x18cm mandala scarification on thigh

tumblr

Steak:
    Really you want to have the pan hot so that it's smoking, brush the steak with oil and seasoning (don't need to oil the pan) and whack in the pan. For a steak about 2cm think youd cook 3mins for rare, 4 for med-rare, 4-5 for medium and 5-6 for well done, half the time on each side (varies for thickness, temp of pan etc). Don't keep turning it, just let it do its thing then when you take it off let it rest for a few mins before eating.
    Current - lobes (lx2, rx2), rook, labret
    Future -
    forward helix,
    http://neverendingparade.tumblr.com/

^ Thanks HannahKate
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Senior Member misstress_malice_mizer's Avatar

Anne this is pretty much reiterating what HannahKate said but thought you might find it useful

Five steps to cooking the perfect steak at home1. Heat your griddle or frying pan over a high heat, until smoking hot.2. Lightly brush the steak with a little olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.3. Don’t griddle more than two steaks at a time, and keep them spaced well apart. If you add more than two steaks to the pan at once, the temperature will drop and the steak will stew, rather than fry.4. Don’t turn the steaks until good seared markings are achieved, then turn them over and cook on the other side (see timings, below).5. You must let the steak rest for about 3 minutes before serving, to allow the juices that have been drawn to the surface to relax back into the meat

Blue: 1 minute each sideRare: 1 minutes each sideMedium rare: 2 minutes each sideMedium: 2 minutes each sideMedium-well done: 2 - 3 minutes each side.

just so you know blue steak is where the steak is literally just seared on each side so it will still be raw in the middle or very bloody at least and I personally wouldn't cook steak like this unless it was really really good quality ie bought from a proper butchers rather than the stuff you get in packets from the supermarket.
    but yeah the most impotant things to remember are to make sure that your pan is hot enough ideally it should be smoking by the time you come to put your steaks in. Never cook more than 2 at the same time and always allow the steak to rest before serving them up
    also the better quality your steak the better it will taste and the less tough it will be. Most of the time toughness is caused by the beef not being hung for long enough as a rule you want your beef to have been hung for a minimum of 21days.
    hope this helps a little
    http://maliceinunderderland.tumblr.com/ (nsfw)
    1.2mm lobes, 1.6mm septum
    retired nostril piercing
    two tattoos
    wish list as long as my arm
    available on
    facebook
    tumblr