Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 397980818283848586878889

Thread: General Cooking Thread

I have been known to make a mean lentil chilli/various veg spicy thing.

I soak the green lentils for about 30 mins while the rest is cooking up in the pot.

Chopped toms
    Courgettes
    Carrots
    Spinach
    Mushrooms
    Brocoli
    peas
    Various hers and spices.

Can have with with rice, pasta or on it's own.

Whole thing probably takes about 1 - 1.5 hours depending on amount cooked. I tend to batch cook stuff to save time during the week.

Food related, more than cooking, but my boyfriend and I have made the decision to eat more ethically. I know that veganism is the most ethical way of eating, but my boyfriend is not (yet?) willing to give up meat and I'm hesitant as, due to intolerances, meat is something I can rely on. At any rate, we're going to need to do a lot of research. However, currently our plans are to; minimise meat consumption to a few times a week rather than daily; try to find stockists of more ethical meat (not the so called 'free range' found in supermarkets, so we're going to be asking local butchers and buy more game); stop buying dairy products (I've heard this is just as bad, if not worse, than meat farming); only procure eggs from friends with chickens.

If anyone actually has any advice or can point me in the direction of some resources, that'd be grand. ^_^

(Also, on topic, tofu canaloni for dinner tonight!)
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Food related, more than cooking, but my boyfriend and I have made the decision to eat more ethically. I know that veganism is the most ethical way of eating, but my boyfriend is not (yet?) willing to give up meat and I'm hesitant as, due to intolerances, meat is something I can rely on. At any rate, we're going to need to do a lot of research. However, currently our plans are to; minimise meat consumption to a few times a week rather than daily; try to find stockists of more ethical meat (not the so called 'free range' found in supermarkets, so we're going to be asking local butchers and buy more game); stop buying dairy products (I've heard this is just as bad, if not worse, than meat farming); only procure eggs from friends with chickens.

If anyone actually has any advice or can point me in the direction of some resources, that'd be grand. ^_^

(Also, on topic, tofu canaloni for dinner tonight!)
    Makes me so happy when I see people talking/thinking about this :-)

If you don't mine me asking what kind of intolerance's are we talking about? Might give me a better idea of the kind of things to suggest.

In reference to dairy....It's pretty grim. I won't go into details since I"m guessing this probably isn't the place for it.

Inadvertently gone completely vegan today! Cereal with almond milk for breakfast, falafel and hummus wraps for lunch (from the new vegetarian & vegan cafe that's opened up in town; we've not been before so thought we'd check it out!) and dinner will be a spicy tomato pasta with garlic mushrooms and tofu. Mmm. ^_^ Not the most 'exciting' vegan food I've ever made (it's no vegan spaghetti carbonara or afternoon tea with cream, after all!), but it should be good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mole90 View Post
    Makes me so happy when I see people talking/thinking about this :-)

If you don't mine me asking what kind of intolerance's are we talking about? Might give me a better idea of the kind of things to suggest.

In reference to dairy....It's pretty grim. I won't go into details since I'm guessing this probably isn't the place for it.
    Hey, sorry I didn't see this until now! I'm actually already feeling quite a bit better (about myself; not necessarily health wise) for having made these changes. I'm actually surprised that my boyfriend is sticking it out, never thought he would!

It's mostly just lactose intolerance. It's not a big problem when I'm making my own food as I can just replace milk/cream/cheese with alternatives, but when I'm eating out it's often safer to go for a 'meat' dish than a vegetarian dish as they so often replace the meat with cheese or cream. I know that going full vegan would pretty much stop going out for meals altogether (I know a very few restaurants that serve vegan food), and I don't know. Maybe it's selfish, but given that I already have to reduce my diet due to circumstances out of my control, I'd rather not reduce it through choice, if that makes sense? People already make a huge enough deal about my lactose intolerance (calling me 'fussy' or a 'problem', even though there is literally nothing I can do about it), let alone going vegan (I feel for anyone who have dietary requirements, whether self imposed or not, and people not being courteous of the fact).

This isn't a critique of anyone who is vegan/vegetarian by the way. I salute you. It's just that I'm not (yet?) prepared to make the full step. But being 'pro-vegan' or ethically minded about food is something at least, right? =)

(I also struggled with gaining weight as a teenager; I was underweight and it certainly made me feel unwell. For health reasons I really couldn't afford to cut out any sources of protein, etc.. I know it's possible to do as a vegan, but at the time, it was the easiest way for me to stay healthy and it is something that I'd rather avoid goign through again.)

I have been recommended the documentary Cowspiracy by a vegan friend in regards the dairy industry. Have you seen it? I've not yet, but I can already imagine how awful it'll be. =(
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Cowspiracy is actually pretty tame - It's mainly focused on the environmental impact of animal agriculture. In terms of how animals are treated I'd recommend Earthlings.....But it's very graphic. Combined they provide a very strong argument as to why being vegan is the only logical choice in terms of ethics and caring for the environment.

Tbh I find eating out okay, obviously tricker than people who eat animal products, but most places are really accommodating if you ask them for details of what's in the food and request changes.

Where I live there aren't many "vegan" places, however lots of stuff on standard menus can be made vegan with a few simple changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole90 View Post
    Cowspiracy is actually pretty tame - It's mainly focused on the environmental impact of animal agriculture. In terms of how animals are treated I'd recommend Earthlings.....But it's very graphic. Combined they provide a very strong argument as to why being vegan is the only logical choice in terms of ethics and caring for the environment.

Tbh I find eating out okay, obviously tricker than people who eat animal products, but most places are really accommodating if you ask them for details of what's in the food and request changes.

Where I live there aren't many "vegan" places, however lots of stuff on standard menus can be made vegan with a few simple changes.
    You're luckier than me then! The amount of trouble I have explaining lactose intolerance... I very often get given the vegetarian option (which is still full of dairy) or gluten free, despite my best attempts at explaining that it means no/minimal dairy. I really don't know why some places really struggle with the concept, but the amount of times my 'lactose free' meal has been full of cheese... (I went in to Starbucks the other day and a friend had said the Pumpkin Spiced Latte mix had dairy in it, so I asked at the counter. Must have held the queue up by about ten minutes, which I felt awful for, while they tried to find out. Turns out it does, so I ordered something else. I pay and my friend takes my place and makes her order. I suddenly realise I forgot to ask for soya milk, but could see they hadn't actually started my order so I just called over for the change. Turns out they were out of soya and no one had thought to tell me?! Because, yeah, I'm going to go to all the effort of asking if a powder has a miniscule amount of milk in it, just to go and have milk in my coffee? 'Well, I can only have X amount of milk a day and that powder would have totally pushed me over my daily limit'.)

-----

I was wondering though if anyone knew of any good vegan recipe books/sites? A lot of vegan recipes I find just say 'use meat substitute' or 'use cheese substitute', which I don't find overly helpful. Ideally I'd like to start making my own 'cheese' (I already make my own heavy 'cream' as I can't find it in the shops) and I've found a few recipes on how to prepare various 'egg' dishes (including fried, which I can't wait to try! My mum has an egg allergy so I'd love to be able to make her fried eggs with a fry up again). But, yeah, any advice would be good, thanks! =)
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

Mmm think we have a new fave pasta dish to add to our rotation after tonight. Made a caper, onion lemon and butter sauce for fish (which we then decided we really didn't fancy!) so cooked up some pasta and tossed it in the fish sauce with air-fried "roast" potatoes and chopped steamed broccoli and green beans with some steamed carrots on the side, sooo yummy!
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Going to have lamb marinaded in herbs, garlic potatoes and veg for tea tonight I think Simple but so good.
    Becky
    Current: 2 sets of lobes, 2 helix, forward helix (l), conch, tragus (r), navel
    Want: helix, daith (l), lobe (r)
    Retired: rook (r)

'You can't plough a field by turning the soil over in your mind.'