Thread: lip piercing questions

Default lip piercing questions

i'm getting my lip pierced for my birthday but have a few questions.

what length is the initial jewellery(i want to get a labret stud on the left side) likely to be?
    will i have to change down to a smaller length after swelling goes down?
    how long would i be able to leave it out for without the hole closing(obv after initial healing) as my nan hates lip piercings so i would have to remove it when i visit her- OR if i fitted a retainer like the push fit bioflex ones sold on here how visible are the clear ends you can get to put on them?
    does it get in the way or hurt when kissing, eating and say brushing your teeth

sorry if these seem realy dumb questions
    Piercings I have

left ear: lobes-1sts and 2nds, helix
    right ear: lobes- 1sts and 2nds, 3rds (lower cartilage),
    right nostril
    monroe

R.I.P

navel x2
    snug
    forward helix x2
    helix

I LOVE bioflex IN MY PIERCINGS

I'v had my lip pierced for 3 or 4 years now, I still have the initial jewellery and its 10mm, I think I left the initial stud in for quite a few weeks before I changed it to a shorter one. I never had to take it out until about a year ago when I got a new job and wasn't allowed to wear it to work, by then I could leave it out for days without it closing up but that might be one of those things that's different for different people. For the first few days after having it pierced I had to be careful when eating or brushing my teeth etc but since it's healed no problems or pain at all, just a little tricky if i'm wearing a ring in it but mines was pierced in the center not the side and i rarely wear a ring. Hope that helped a bit and good luck with it
    Nat x

have:
    central lower lip, scaffold, snug, philtrum, both nipples and 10mm stretched ear lobe

had: nostril, bridge

want: helix, bridge, triangle? and lots of tattoos

Lets see if I remember... mine's been gone for a few years now. haha

Initial jewellery should be a bit long, since lips tend to swell (though mine didn't...), and of course that means you will have to put a smaller bar in. Mine, when I took it out, closed up within hours. It really depends on the person. But the retainers are really good at their job, since I had to spend MONTHS with my dad everyday till he one day noticed it was shining a bit, and even then he though it was a pimple, but then he looked a bit closer since he knew I had it but told me to remove it, so he was kinda expecting it to be there. If your nan isn't looking for it, she defo won't find it. ;D
    Mine never really got in the way with anything when I wore a labret. The rings are noticeable when kissing, but it isn't necessarily bad. :P

good luck. ^^
    Now a piercer in the making.
    ___

Piercings: both lobes 26mm (first) and 5mm (second), 4mm septum, 6mm philtrum, 3mm princess diana, 1.6mm nipples, scaffold (left ear), cheeks and outer labia
    , bridge and chest microdermals

Retired: too many. :(

Tattoos: quite a few hours. left thigh, knee and forearm. right foot. chest. half backpiece. index fingers.

Others: split tongue. stomach scarification. some pulling and play piercing.

thanks guys your reply's have been really helpful :-)
    Piercings I have

left ear: lobes-1sts and 2nds, helix
    right ear: lobes- 1sts and 2nds, 3rds (lower cartilage),
    right nostril
    monroe

R.I.P

navel x2
    snug
    forward helix x2
    helix

I LOVE bioflex IN MY PIERCINGS

Quote Originally Posted by halo83 View Post
    i'm getting my lip pierced for my birthday but have a few questions.

what length is the initial jewellery(i want to get a labret stud on the left side) likely to be?
    will i have to change down to a smaller length after swelling goes down?
    how long would i be able to leave it out for without the hole closing(obv after initial healing) as my nan hates lip piercings so i would have to remove it when i visit her- OR if i fitted a retainer like the push fit bioflex ones sold on here how visible are the clear ends you can get to put on them?
    does it get in the way or hurt when kissing, eating and say brushing your teeth

sorry if these seem realy dumb questions
    10-12mm for initial jewellery. You will probably want to change it, but depends on your lip, might not need to. Make sure you dont get pierced with a ring. The amount of time you can leave the jewellery out once healed is again different for different people. To be safe you'd be better using a retainer, they can look very discrete, I dont think they are ever visible unless someone is looking for it or familiar with the piercing.
    I'm Cherry *^-^*

Stretched: 20mm ears

Piercings: 1.6mm Cheeks, 2.4mm septum, 1.2mm medusa, 1.6mm conch, 1.2mm tragus, both ears pierced, 1 x microdermals, navel.

Tattoos: Half sleeve 1 session from finished, Angel-ey thing on each atm, Vines down spine, 5 butterflies on back. Daisy on inner thigh. Black heart on nape. Smiley face on knee.

Retired/Rejected: 13 microdermals, 2 surface bars, Monroe, 2 x navel, nostril, 2mm tongue, webbing, labret.

Be careful when taking it out because my friend had hers done for five years and it closed up in the hour while she had a filling done =/
    Hi, I'm Kerry
    Facebook / Tumblr

Current:
    Left ear: L
    obe (5mm), rook, anti-tragus,
    Right ear: Lobe (12mm), tragus, forward helix, conch
    Septum

Right horizontal nipple

Navel
    Right nostril

Retired:
    Inverse Navel