Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something regarding Bioplast in oral piercings...

dpack_1

It wasn't you i was getting pissy with. Rather watermelon that cant accept any answer he gets given.

Quote Originally Posted by dpack_1 View Post
    Fine, you want a better back up, cheeks are muscles, they have a very unique fibrous mesh of tissue that you dont find anywhere else on the body. 2mm is about the bare minimum you can put in this tissue to avoid migration, irritation and other complications. You may think that genitals incur as much motion and movement, but you'd be wrong, and the tissues for most genitals are either fairly solid (apadravyas and ampallangs) or just lobe-like tissues (inner labia or hood piercings). Neither are muscles, nor fibrous meshes, and these tissues can bare 1.6mm jewellery with zero complications what so ever. 1.6mm really doesnt cause any cheese wiring in genital piercings and plenty of people are just fine and comfortable with it. Feel free to keep thinking you're right, but you're not.
    99% of people with cheek piercings have them at 1.6mm. They are fine (your answer to everything). The head of the penis is definitely something that needs a secure gauge.

Just because you are a 'professional' does not mean you know loads of secret facts. Half the people on this forum know as much about you as body piercings. It is far from difficult.

Scarred_pierced

Yeah those 99% might have had then pierced at 1.6mm but from my research a good amount of those people also then stretch up to 2mm, the few acocunts I could find of people being pierced at 2mm, even videos on youtube, they have had far less problems, if any at all.
    Even dragstrip on here had problems at 1.6mm and she confirms that her cheeks were much better at 2mm. Other people I've spoken to have also confirmed this.

I work in a Lab and work with cell lines that we HAVE to keep sterile (we use cell culture hoods as a sterile environment) although I have been told its more like aseptic but more advanced as I questioned that there was no way that not one single bacteria was in the hood (anyway that's a different story). We have to be as sterile as possible and we autoclave pretty much everything and everything is left in it's autoclave bag on a shelf or in a draw. As long as it isn't opened it is still sterile! I'm pretty sure in the medical profession they don't wait 30 mins to 1 hr to package and autoclave
    instruments before they give someone emergency surgery. They are all pre-sterilised. On a side note, I've been inside an operating theatre and it certainly wasn't what I expected-not like on TV, it's shabby and not anywhere near as clean as I thougt it would be and they have their sterile "field" in the centre of the room even if round the outside is possibly not very sterile at all!
    Last edited by nikorusama; 09-28-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    Have: Right lobe X 2
    Left Lobe X 2
    Left tragus
    Left helix

Want:
    Left helix
    Snake bites
    Right Rook or forward helix
    Right lobe 2nd hole stretched to 3/4mm.
    Right helix

Retired: Right helix x 2
    R/L lobes
    Left horizontal eyebrow RIP :(

Yep, operating theatres are actually really gross, I watched an operation once and except for like the actual table and work space the rest of the room was pretty much used for storage and the anaesthetist had his laptop in there with him and way paying his internet bill over the phone. But there is no way to remove all germs from the air, it really is about sterilising stuff that will directly penetrate the skin.

And you're certainly right about pre sterilising the equipment and I think lots of it is disposable now as well.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

My 2 pence worth for what it’s worth.. Darren is very right about cheek piercings in my opinion, 2mm at the very smallest. When cheeks are pierced the muscles around the area collapse (this is what creates the dimples), the heavier the gauge the more chance they have of staying put... people do have cheek piercings at 1.6mm and they have been fine, people have also pierced themselves with a staple gun and mankey old jewellery and they have also been fine.. doesn’t mean it’s the best way of going about it.

Autoclaving, once it’s in a bag doesn’t really matter if the jewellery is kept on a shelf, in a drawer or bio grade medical fridge... it will be fine as long as the bag remains sealed.

On subject of plastics, I’ve always used bio plastics for initial piercings even oral ones, as I believe they are lighter, have a bit more give, more suited to piercing as it can be cut to fit everybody's individual anatomy and actually assist the piercing to heal better. I do agree however long term in the mouth is not the best as people do chew bars etc. After the piercing has settled, change the bar then.

Just my thoughts..
    SPIKE
    spike_bodyjewelleryshop@hotmail.co.uk

Piercings: 16MM Lobe, 5MM PA.

Retired Piercings: Lots, removed over 25 piercings in a momment of madness!

Facebook: http://facebook.com/Bodyjewellershopspike

dpack_1

A piercing environment is more about being aseptic than sterile, as is an operating theatre and pretty much anywhere outside of very strict labs.

Even with jewellery being sterilized just before use just holding it in your 'gloved' hand contaminates it.

So long as there is no cross contamination between clients a piercing studio can run by keeping the room clean and disinfected.

In reality even if a piercing was done in a 100% STERILE environment the wound remains open for at least 24 hours and thus just walking out of the studio would contaminate the site. Making sure tools are autoclaved between clients and everything else is kept aseptic there would be no issues.

Though i'm sure the all knowledgeable Watermelon will attack this, even with other piercers and people that work in these environments telling him he's wrong, for you see he is just a student here in his spare time yet knows just as much if not more than everyone.

Well I always thought the point of autoclaving was to stop cross contamination, not to make it sterile persay so even if they were taken out of the bags it wouldn't make much of a difference because they don't need to be sterile. I mean it's probably best to keep them in the bags until you need to use them and then you don't have to worry about dust etc and at least you know you are putting something clean into the client but it's not going to be a sterile piercing unless you have a great big bubble around everything with airflow chambers etc...
    Have: Right lobe X 2
    Left Lobe X 2
    Left tragus
    Left helix

Want:
    Left helix
    Snake bites
    Right Rook or forward helix
    Right lobe 2nd hole stretched to 3/4mm.
    Right helix

Retired: Right helix x 2
    R/L lobes
    Left horizontal eyebrow RIP :(

Autoclaving is definitely to make sterile which is important for initial jewellery as it is a piece of metal staying inside a fresh wound (which is of course what a piercing is). The environment of course is not sterile, but the air doesn't sit in and settle on the piercing 'wound' itself. The jewellery on the other hand is in direct contact with freshly opened skin which is the ideal pathway for anything to get into the body.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

dpack_1

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
    Autoclaving is definitely to make sterile which is important for initial jewellery as it is a piece of metal staying inside a fresh wound (which is of course what a piercing is). The environment of course is not sterile, but the air doesn't sit in and settle on the piercing 'wound' itself. The jewellery on the other hand is in direct contact with freshly opened skin which is the ideal pathway for anything to get into the body.
    Nobody is denying that an autoclave sterilises something, what we're saying is the second the item is handled it is no longer sterile. The jewellery that enters your fresh piercing is not 'sterile' it is 'aseptic', that is to say it is mostly free of germs but unless, as nikorusama pointed out, the entire procedure is done in a bubble the simple act of picking up the jewellery, even with gloved hands, contaminates the jewellery enough for it to no longer be sterile. In essence the ONLY reason anything is autoclaved in a studio is to prevent cross contamination between clients and NOT to provide sterile materials.
    Last edited by dpack_1; 09-28-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast