Thread: Removal? Please no!

Default Removal? Please no!

So basically about 5 days ago I went to my regular piercer, and FINALLY got my conch and 'outer conch' done - not too sure what else to call the spot I got done - it's the flat bit at the top of my ear, roughly in the middle.
    There was hardly any pain at all when I got my conch done, but my outer conch was one of my most painful piercings.
    I've been doing a SSS only once a day (don't yell at me! I'm aware that they should be done twice a day for new piercings, but the rest of mine have always healed fine on one per day), not touching them, trying not to sleep on them (although I have woken up on them once or twice)
    They seemed to be fine up until a day or two ago. My friends elbow did give me an incredibly painful knock to the ear - think a scream of agony, tears in my eyes, and since then my ear has become quite red and swollen, warm, throbs, a fair bit of pain and a bit of pus. I started doing two SSS a day, and fearing an infection I headed to a doctor, who agreed with me and put me on a course of antibiotics.
    Now he also said I should take the piercing out - I stressed just how much I wanted to keep it, was that really necessary etc etc? All he said was that he strongly suggested I do it. Do I really have to? If I finish my 6 days on antibiotics, keep cleaning it, not touching it and it looks to be healing well, there's no danger in leaving it in is there? Removing it is the last thing I want to do!
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Piercings:

Left ear: 2x tragus, 3x lobes, conch, 3x outer conch in a triangle design

Right ear: 2x forward helix, 4x lobes, anti-tragus, rook

Other: tongue, tongue web

Retired: ​lower lip

Doctors aways say to take it out, which as far as I know is the opposite of what you should do with an infected piercing (someone correct me if I am wrong).

My outer conch is months and months old and it still hurts even when I don't knock it, they are just that sort of piercing. Do your soaks, finish your antibiotics and be very very nice to it for a long time (try not to sleep on it if possible).
    I don't think there is any reason to be taking it out, but if you put up a picture (the link missing the http:// and some spaces) everyone can have a look and see what might be going on. And if it keeps playing up get another opinion from your piercer as they're far more experienced in these things than doctors.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
    Do your soaks, finish your antibiotics and be very very nice to it for a long time
    This

One soak a day is probably sufficient, after this infection has gone you can probably go to just rinsing it in the shower every day and only soaking as required (stubborn crusties etc)
    Leave it alone as much as possible - so no fiddling - and maybe tell your friends/family to be careful of it. It'll be at risk of flare-ups for a good 6 months-1 year from now. Joy of cartilage piercings

and yeah, keep it in.

(by the way, the advice about not removing infected piercings so the gunk can drain I think only applies when it's a localised infection that's not being treated by antibiotics. So if you are on antibiotics to treat the infection and you want rid of the piercing then you could probably take it out if you want to)
    Last edited by kitebunny; 09-13-2011 at 10:10 AM.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    (by the way, the advice about not removing infected piercings so the gunk can drain I think only applies when it's a localised infection that's not being treated by antibiotics. So if you are on antibiotics to treat the infection and you want rid of the piercing then you could probably take it out if you want to)
    Why thank you, I knew there would only be certain situations that applies in.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

Most doctors are not properly educated in the body modification industry. If you go in with a fresh, red piercing....they say it's infected and to tell you to take it out. We actually had the director of Emergency Medicine at CCMC tell us that it was the hospital's policy to reccomend to ALL patients that they remove any and all body jewelry immediatly, even if there is no evidence of infection/problems. So basically I went in for a broken foot and was told that I had 40+ problematic piercings and that I needed to remove them all at once. I just laughed at him and gave him the APP website.
    Hi! I'm Casey

Have:
    Industrial, tragus x2, ear web x2, conch, bridge, nostril x2, high nostril x2, septum, tongue x2, lingual frenulum, labret, monroe x2, navel, nipples x2, vch, standard lobe piercings x15,

Retired:
    Bridge x2, vertical brow x3, horizontal brow, bottom navel, stomach surface, arm surface x2, hand web, hand surface, standard lobe x2.

Want:
    Deep Mandible, cheeks, lip x2, forward helix x2, bottom navel, horizontal brow x2, numerous MDA's, lots more tattoos.

Thank you for the reassurance guys!
    I'd much rather have headed to my piercer than the doctors in the first place, but I already had an appointment and travelling 45 minutes on a bus wasn't really an option at that time :/

It honestly feels a lot better already - for the past few morning, i've had a fair amount of pain and throbbing upon waking, but nothing like that today!
    Fingers crossed these antibiotics will do the trick...rest assured my piercing is going to get lots of TLC until it settles down

And i can't even tell you how pleased I am that I can keep it!
    Piercings:

Left ear: 2x tragus, 3x lobes, conch, 3x outer conch in a triangle design

Right ear: 2x forward helix, 4x lobes, anti-tragus, rook

Other: tongue, tongue web

Retired: ​lower lip

^_^