Thread: Before I get my nose piercing

Default Before I get my nose piercing

So, before I get my nose piercing I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the aftercare, healing, possible problems that could arise and other things.

For people who have, or had a nose piercing, how easy was it to care for the piercing afterwards? How much pain was there after the initial piercing day while taking care of it?
    How long did yours take to fully heal?
    If the dreaded 'bump' appears, how should I best care for it to reduce the appearance and long term affects?

How does your piercing look without a stud in it? A noitceable hole, or inconspicuous?

And lastly, for those who have retired their piercing, how does the scar/mark fare afterwards?
    Joshua David; Mummy's perfect little man

Piercings&Tattoos;
    2x Lobe (r&l)
    Tragus
    D.O.B on my wrist
    Dreamcatcher on my ankle

Want:
    Nose/Septum
    Inner Conch
    Many More Tattoos

Retired:
    Navel

how easy was it to care for the piercing afterwards? It's as easy as you make it really, I soaked mine once a day for 2-3 days then left it alone. However SSS twice a day for a couple of weeks are the usual recommendation, here's an aftercare guide that your piercer should also give you.

How much pain was there after the initial piercing day while taking care of it? It hurt the same day and the day after (but I drank quite heavily the evening after getting it done which wouldn't have helped). After that it was pain free.

How long did yours take to fully heal? Depends what you mean by this but usual healing is around 3 months, if you're wanting to know when you can change jewellery you want to wait a good 2-3 months really. Mine is 7 months old and can feel tender after a jewellery change.

If the dreaded 'bump' appears, how should I best care for it to reduce the appearance and long term affects? there should be no long term effects with hypertrophic scarring as to how to get rid of it is down to you, some find leaving it alone works, others SSS, others chamomile, others have used hydrocortisone cream (on well healed) etc look in the experience section and you'll find many a thread and many a method.

How does your piercing look without a stud in it? A noitceable hole, or inconspicuous? You can see a hole and a dent in mine but mines only 7 months old, most will find it fades really well though.
    Last edited by Boo; 09-07-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Piercing Novice

Quote Originally Posted by bluntforcetrauma View Post
    So, before I get my nose piercing I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the aftercare, healing, possible problems that could arise and other things.

For people who have, or had a nose piercing, how easy was it to care for the piercing afterwards? How much pain was there after the initial piercing day while taking care of it?
    If the dreaded 'bump' appears, how should I best care for it to reduce the appearance and long term affects?

How does your piercing look without a stud in it? A noitceable hole, or inconspicuous?

And lastly, for those who have retired their piercing, how does the scar/mark fare afterwards?
    • Throbbed for a couple of hours after the actual piercing but no pain the next day unless I knocked it.
    • Cleaned it once or twice a day with plain hot water just to rinse away the crust and any dried blood. It did bleed a bit at night, guess I caught it on the bedding somehow and after 3 straight nights of being woken with a bloody nose I put a plaster very loosely over it at night for three nights ( yes I know frowned upon but the seal wasn't airtight and it gave the torn fistula time to heal)
    • 3-4 months but I changed the jewellery after 5 weeks with the piercer's OK ( well he did it for me). I needed something less obvious for work. Not sure it is really 100% healed yet though.
    • Bump? Never got a visible bump. There is some "thickening" on the inside of my nostril though ( pierced in April). It's gone down dramatically since I changed the screw for a L bar.
    • Hole is virtually invisible without jewellery in- it is a 1mm piercing. If I want to change stud I have to do it by "feel" rather than by looking.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntforcetrauma View Post

I only felt pain as the needle went through, then it stopped straight away. Never had any other pain from it.

Aftercare is easy, just do SSS.

Mine took a year to fully heal, but it probably only took that long because after 2 months I had to fiddle with it because of school.

Without a stud I just have a little hole, not very noticeable with makeup over it.

I've had mine over 5yrs now and I still love it!
    Current piercings-

Right ear-
    Tragus
    Lobe x3
    industrial

Left ear-
    Conch
    Lobe x3

Nostril

Retired-
    Helix
    Forward helix
    Septum
    Rook
    Navel

3 tattoos

Am I the only one who thinks nostril piercings without jewellery in look really obvious? :| Mine do, anyway, and whenever I've seen someone without jewellery in it's been pretty obvious. I hate wearing no jewellery (flesh-toned retainers work perfectly for work). Mine look like blackheads or something. If I ever have to take them out for good I hope they close up quickly, heh. Not that I want to put you off the idea, I love my nostril piercings!

How easy was it to care for the piercing afterwards?
    Very easy, I only did a couple of sea salt soaks, when it got the bump I stepped up the sea salt soaks and used tea tree oil (its not really recommended, too harsh, but it worked for me).

How much pain was there after the initial piercing day while taking care of it?
    I found the initial piercing quite sore, but then afterwards any pain was minimal.

A good few months, maybe 4 or 5.

As I said I used tea tree oil, but thats not recommended, I would say chamomile tea bags are the better option

Mine was quite noticeable without the stud in, you could see the hole obviously. I found the best thing to hide it was a retainer like this one, in crystal clear.
    I had mine for about a year, and the mark is not really a mark at all. I could take a photo but you wouldn't be able to see anything.

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.