Thread: Tongue piercing - when can i's ....

Default Tongue piercing - when can i's ....

Tomorrow will be a week since i've gotten my tongue done. my swelling must be going down coz today is the first day i can feel the bottom ball hit my teeth when i eat. it doesnt hurt but knowing that the ball can damage my teeth, it makes me really uncomfortable feeling it clink against my teeth. I know i have to wait till my tongue is not swollen anymore to change it. so here a few questions i have...

- how long should i wait till i can change it to a shorter bar? my piercer said "when u think it feels right" .. which doesnt really help much. 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

- and can i change it to acrylic balls right away? at least for the bottom ball coz of the clinking against my teeth?

- also, in changing just the balls on the bar to acrylic, do all balls fit with all bars? i kinda like the look of metal on top but i want the bottom ball to be acrylic, is this possible to do?

- when can i drink milk again? (i've been avoiding milk or very milky products like yoghurt... i know its apparently a myth, just dont wanna risk it)

- when can i drink alcohol again?

- and when for kissing and sexual activity?

thanks in advance

1. Your piercer should have told you to come back after 1-2 weeks to get it changed. Are they not changing it for you for free? If they didn't tell you to come back for them to downsize the barbell then find a better piercer tbh, it's standard to do that for tongue piercings.

2. Don't change to acrylic just yet. You'll raise the chance of infection as acrylic can't be sterilised and you're sticking it right next to a fresh wound.

3. Your barbell will be 1.6mm/14g, so any 1.6mm balls should fit. Some companies do have slightly different threading but it's rarely a problem, it's mostly standardised now. Make sure you buy the right type of jewellery - externally or internally threaded (the external/internal part refers to the threads on the barbell, so if your barbell has external threading that you can see, then you need to make sure you're only buying balls for externally threaded jewellery).

4. Whenever you want. Won't be a problem.

5. Ideally until it's healed (but pretty much everyone I know waited 2-3 weeks at the most). Up to you when you want to risk it, but the longer the better! It's always advisable to wait until the piercing is healed. If you do drink earlier then mix it up and have plenty of water in between drinks, partly to rinse the piercing a little and also because dehydration with a fresh tongue piercing is likely to make your tongue quite swollen the morning after.

6. See above.

Hi,

This is my own experience with a recent tongue piercing but I hope I can help with some of your questions.

I had my tongue pierced around 2 months ago and found after 10 days of liquid foods (inc. milk) and constant alcohol free mouthwashes I was ok with most activities. I've heard the general healing time for a tongue piercing is around 6 weeks, but I changed my bar after a month and haven't had any problems with it.
    Last edited by miniumeboshi; 09-02-2011 at 10:36 PM.

thanks for the info guys. so if i shouldnt change to acrylic balls yet, how long should i wait till i can?

I never found acrylic stayed on, the threads were never great.
    I have.......
    Tongue, Nostril, Horizontal Nipples,
    In each ear......Daith, Lobe, Tragus, Anti tragus, Rook
    Retired Piercing: Labret

Feel free to add me on failbook.

I find that as long as your bars and balls are ordered from the same manufacturer, the threads usually match for both acrylic and metal. No advice on when to go to acrylic, as I changed to acrylic at the same time I changed to a shorter bar (I also changed it myself despite my piercer asking me to come in for a jewellery change, silly me).
    Current Piercings: Gunned Lobes (now 1.6mm), Tongue, Triple Helix(R), VCH by Elayne Angel
    Next Piercings:
    Going to see my piercer soon, we shall see!
    Want: Tragus (R), Forward Helix
    (R), Pinna (R), Tri-Navel?, Inverse Navel?
    I adore Bioplast.

I'm not going to be able to go into my piercer to get mine changed to a shorter bar. i got mine done out of town... and it was an expensive train ride, so i wont be going back just for a change of jewellery. Can i go to any piercer to get it changed? I dont mind paying a small fee for the help...
    my bar wasn't really too long to start off with... they said my tongue was pretty thin. my bar now is 16mm.

what is normal size for a shorter bar?

depends how big your tongue is, I take a 12mm bar
    I have.......
    Tongue, Nostril, Horizontal Nipples,
    In each ear......Daith, Lobe, Tragus, Anti tragus, Rook
    Retired Piercing: Labret

Feel free to add me on failbook.

I recently downsized to an 11.2mm bar, though I have worn 12mm (1/2") and 16mm (5/8") before. Either go get measured by your piercer or do like I did and play around with sizes until you find one you feel good with. (:
    Current Piercings: Gunned Lobes (now 1.6mm), Tongue, Triple Helix(R), VCH by Elayne Angel
    Next Piercings:
    Going to see my piercer soon, we shall see!
    Want: Tragus (R), Forward Helix
    (R), Pinna (R), Tri-Navel?, Inverse Navel?
    I adore Bioplast.

ok, thanks guys for the advice