Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with criticism about my piercing?

people do give out criticism a lot not minding if they hurt other people and that is a harsh reality of this world. It just really a way of making you stronger an loving yourself more, besides as long as you are happy with it and that is what you really want for yourself then go with it. Having a septum piercing is not a bad thing, its a actually something good since it makes you feel good right? they will get used to it eventually, you may never get to please those people criticizing you but eventually they will get used to it and tire off. As lon as you feel confident about it then I say you should just think of all the criticisms as a positive way of thinking a lot of people really notice you and take time to look at you right? Your are beautiful no matter what they say so why put yourself down.

I'm glad I read this before getting something done, criticism seems a natural thing from people who don't understand and I've not taken any to heart.

My mum was very shocked when I showed her, but now she's totally fine with it, and so is her partner, but my nan has basically disowned me and told me I'm not welcome in her house again until I take it out, my grandad hasn't seen it but thinks it's some sort of self harm and my personality is strong enough to not need to get myself pierced (WTF?). So far reaction from two friends who aren't into piercing at all has been either neutral or positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Russet View Post
    When people (I include myself, because it is very natural and human to judge and categorize on visuals) see someone dressed a certain way, they apply their own stereotypes to those people. When looking at strangers, this usually helps us decide if that person is the "type" we want to associate with and whether we want to get to know them better. When a person we already know starts exhibiting qualities of a "type" we didn't expect them to, we fear that they are changing and often react by trying to make them stop. Just show your friends that you are still the same person you have always been, and they will grow to accept the fact that you now have some metal in your nose. Remember that peoples' reactions are usually not personal, and are based on their fear of change.

Perhaps they may never like the look, but you wouldn't let your friends decide how you should dress, would you? On the other hand, awareness that there is a time and place for certain outfits is key, and sometimes (like you have said, with your grandmother) you may simply want to avoid the hassle and keep your septum flipped up. I know I usually wear a tiny, clear ball on my tongue to keep it hidden, just to avoid anyone judging me on stereotypes that are inaccurate. When I get to know someone and feel that they won't react adversely to it, I let them know.

Good luck, and I hope your friends keep an open mind!
    A story about this.....I've been friends with my "best friend" for 12 years, since we met when my youngest daughter was 4 months old. She just recently unfriended me on facebook after we haven't talked in 2 months. (Her phone was shut off.) After I messaged her and asked what was up she took her time in writing back to tell me that "It seems that I was allowing my kids to be the kind of kids she was eventually going to tell her kids to stay away from." HUH???? After 12 years? Okay, threw me for a loop. Oddly enough this was right after I let my daughter get her snake bites for her birthday after her straight A report card and both of my daughters just redid their hair colors, one bright red, the other black with a thick purple panel underneath and my son did his bright pink for breast cancer awareness. My kids are straight A students, active in animal rescue, the oldest trains rescued horses, one trains 4 days a week in martial arts and are all active in church groups and all have won citizenship awards in their schools. What is wrong with my kids, other than they way they choose to personally express themselves? All of them have been very good friends to her children. Our teenagers grew up together and our youngest were born 3 weeks apart. Sooo.....after talking with my husband, I am actually kind of relieved. I already spent 12 years of my life with her as my best friend, trusting her with my deepest secrets and feelings. Thank goodness she spared me from another 12 years talking behind my back and judging me and my children. I don't need or want friends like this when there are so many others that truely appreciate me for being me and quite frankly, raising some amazing children. Unfortunately her kids would be so lucky to have friends like my children, now they are not given the chance. When these people judge you, consider yourself lucky they are not your friends and find friends that love you for the beautiful person that you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ILmom View Post
    I am actually kind of relieved. I already spent 12 years of my life with her as my best friend, trusting her with my deepest secrets and feelings. Thank goodness she spared me from another 12 years talking behind my back and judging me and my children.
    This is so true and your whole post made me smile.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Agree also!

My family are terrible stuffy about these things, but I also think it's a generation thing - my sister is 13 years older than me, and thinks tattoos and piercing are trashy. My 15 year old nephew wanted his ear pierced, and she did finally give in after I talked her round!

I know I'm going to get a load of stick at Xmas about my Labret, but it just bounces off now!!!
    Hiya - I'm Emma!

Piercings: lobes x 3, Tragus, Helix, Navel, Conch, Sternum Microdermals x 2, VCH, Central Labret, Forward Helix

Tattoos: Stars on inner forearm, Rat on inner ankle, Dotwork Star Mandala on shoulder & Lotus/Butterfly on hip

http://www.facebook.com/emmalsims

ignore the people who say stuff to you! if you want it done u have it done, its not their face/body, just live life the way u want

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    This is so true and your whole post made me smile.
    Thanks. I'm proud of my family and especially proud that they are not afraid to be a little different.

Rattybabe, my son wanted his ears piereced at 5, we let him. LOL. It didn't last long. He started to play peewee football and decided it didn't feel good in his helmet.

Don't worry they be hating some people will like it and some people won't but what is important is that you like it.

I forgot to add, when I saw my friend a few weeks after I got my septum done she finally saw me with it in person and said it actually looked really good. So I'm happy for that. :-) The only person who really criticize me is my mom and grandma whom both say it's really ugly, but I could really care less what they think because I ended up getting used to them not liking it.

I'm basically only afraid to get more piercings on my face because I'm kind of afraid my friend's parents won't let them hang out with me....yeah....sad enough people can be that judgmental.

And to IlMom, just read your post! Wow!! I don't get why people get the impression that piercings are a bad thing, it's great that you think it's good for your kids to express themselves. (Wish my mom would think that sometimes)
    Current;
    14g Septum
    14g Central Labret
    16g Lobe x4 left ear, Lobe 2x right ear
    14g Inverse Navel
    14g Nipples

Retired; 0G Lobes
    Left cartilage

Wanted;
    Industrial
    Anti-eyebrow

Tragus
    Double Nostrils

I had the same problem when i started stretching my ears and septum (now at 20mm and soon going up to an inch with ears and 3.2mm with septum ) especially seeing as I was only 15 when i started stretching and I'm only 17 now but it was what I wanted so I didn't let any one put me down about them, if you really want them you shouldn't care what any one else thinks as it is your own body and you like them. Don't let the haters get to you