Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with criticism about my piercing?

As most people have said in this thread, it is impossible to please everyone or change their opinions of body mods. I work in a salon where I am frequently being asked "but why" about the majority of my piercings, shaking their heads or raising their eyebrows. But there are also the people who find my mods interesting, compliment me on them and say that they love how "brave" i am to have them done. They're the people that I think of when I get another criticism, makes me smile
    Just keep swimming

There will always be people who will be critical, as there will be people who are interested and others who arn't really bothered. I have received a degree of criticism for some of the piercings I have but I know why I got them and why I keep them, they are all personal to me. If you have your own reasons for the piercing and feel it suits your body and mind (if you can kinda get what I mean) than all I can say is it doesn't matter what others think (I do realise that its easier to say that than it is to do) and good luck!

None of my friends really like my septum piercing lol. Alot of customers say it makes them cringe lol. I see that as a sign of me having the guts to be different to everyone else, and when they say why did you get that i just say 'why not'.
    Ive had a couple of older customers (i work in a pub btw, as i realise that sounded shady hahaha) say why have i spoiled my natural beauty by doing all this to myself. To me its like im accentuating (sp) my natural in a a way that makes me more happy.
    I couldnt give a flying toot what others think, at the end of the day i do things because i like them not for others benifit.
    One person who makes me laugh about it all is my dad, he hates my piercings but doesnt go on about them, unless im feelinf unwell he wil say 'it's all that shit in your face' hahahahaha
    Got:
    7mm Conch Punch
    Left nostril
    Stretched lobes 25mm
    VCH
    Helix
    L&R Outer Conches
    Dermal Anchor
    Medusa
    Septum

Retired:
    1x helix
    2 x second lobes
    Navel
    Tongue
    Frowny
    Smiley

Want:
    conch punch

Tattoo's x 6

Quote Originally Posted by soph_17 View Post
    Essentially, some people are going to tell you they love them, others will never like them. You can't please everyone, and it sounds kinda selfish, but piercings are about YOU. Ofc there are other compromises, but you can't stop people from passing judgement.
    Remember too though, it's relitavely new-atm it'll be the novelty of it that catches people of guard, once they get used to it they won't even notice it. It gets easier to ignore the bad comments .
    Completely agree, I'm a bit sensitive as well, I'm 27 and only just started to get piercings this year and within a matter of 6 months I've gone from 0 to 37! and will probably be in the 60-70 range by the end of the year (big chunks in dermal patterns).
    When I first starting posting up my piercings in the likes of FB, I was getting a lot of positive reviews (Most probably due to the fact that most of my friends never thought I would do it). I started with very basic ones, lobes, helix, etc - then I got an industrial and labret and suddenly people were openly stating on FB that they didn't like it. I was quite offended, I couldn't believe they felt entitled to post such a negative review of something I obviously want to share with pride! (what happened to manners??!!?? - if you've nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all).
    Anyways, I was really upset about it and was discussing it with a mate who is equally pierced, and she said something to me which struck a chord : "David, if you are getting piercings so that other people can look and tell you how good it looks, or if you are going to get rid of any because people tell you you don't like them, then I recommend removing the lot, because you should be doing it for yourself, not others!"
    She was absolutely correct, so now, I get whatever I like, if people like them, great, if they don't well so be it! and I recommend you do the same :-)

Eeep. I know this is off topic and I am not one to talk but 37 in 6 months is waaaaaaay too much. The rule is no more than 3 in a 3 month period, now I have certainly broken that rule. But not by so much.

I certainly know how addictive piercings are (hence the name, lol) but you do need to pace it a bit... Something I am struggling with right now but eventually the strain will cause things to go wrong. Especially the cartilage ones, they already take up to 18 months to heal, with so many others healing too I hate to think how long your healing is going to take (proper healing, not just superficial, 'oh they don't hurt anymore' healing).

But back on topic, I certainly have friends and family who hate my septum so I pick when I do and don't have it down. Not because I care what they think, they can be as horrified as they like, but because it makes things easier for me if I don't have to justify my piercings to everyone I meet.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

37 in 6 months is ridiculous your body must be under so much strain it's unreal and any piercer willing to do that to someone is horrifically irresponsible.

I do agree that if you have visible piercings or you post them all over your FB someone somewhere is going to say they don't like it. Just like someone may tell you they don't like your hair or shoes or glasses. People are entitled to opinions, if you don't like it then live as a hermit lol, if they are rude then that's not right but if they're simply factual just deal with it, it's called life.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I have a friend who gets incredibly queasy about the very idea of being pierced, or any blood, etc. She despises my piercings, and tells me so, but only when I'm making a bit of fun of her (making my labrets stick out, etc).

My parents are another matter. They also hate them, and ask me if I'm getting them in order to get payback against them for some imagined slight, say that I'm mutilating myself, etc. I just ignore them. I love all of my piercings, and I'm not going to get rid of any of them for anyone but me.

at the moment i dont have any piercings, but i can sort of relate to your situation of not being accepted. im of mixed nationality, so certain places i go i sometimes get criticism for how i look or how i dress. thankfully ive been blessed with the mindset to not really care what anyone thinks of me. it must be difficult for you to take criticism, but everyone in the world will criticize you wether you like it or not. i dont know if they link the piercing with being unsuccessful or being un-ladylike as you said, but take it as an opportunity to prove people wrong. people are always going to criticize because some people are ignorant. the best thing you can do is smile and nod at them, and just be happy with yourself, because at the end of the day thats what really matters

I think that piercing and tattoos nowadays are far more acceptable than they were a while back. For instance, it's considered abnormal for girls to not have had their ear's pierced at a younger age. I remember before I got into body piercing I refused to get my ears pierced and luckily my parents didn't force me to get them when I was a baby. It wasn't until I was 15 until I got my first piercing (lobe) and after that it was just kind of addicting. I think institutions such as school are always going to uphold the rule of profesionalism and have a ready made image of what a person is supposed to look like while going in for a job interview. I think the ways are outdated of course because nowadays as previously stated it's much more common for people to have piercings. In the end I think we should get piercings for ourselves, and being willing to take a stand for what we consider to be part of ourselves. Stand for something or fall for anything is what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by porygon View Post
    ....it's considered abnormal for girls to not have had their ear's pierced at a younger age.
    Where is this the norm? I don't feel even now that's felt as much as people think but it may be a country-based thing?

Quote Originally Posted by porygon View Post
    I think institutions such as school are always going to uphold the rule of profesionalism and have a ready made image of what a person is supposed to look like while going in for a job interview.
    I don't see why schools are to blame tbh, schools are there to educate our children. The reason they have rules regarding piercings is because most 4-18 year olds aren't capable or can't afford to look after a piercing properly. This could then lead to them getting ill, needing time off, giving others infections when piercing each other in the toilets etc...

Schools have these rules also to try and eliminate competition that could cause injury, imagine the race the 10 year olds would have to get to 30mm...lots of nice ripped lobes going on and infections galore.

Sorry but I think people seem to blame schools for lots of things they're not responsible for.

I agree that there is no need for a workplace to discriminate against someone for having a hygienic, well looked after body modification but there needs to be rules when it comes to children imo even as a child I accepted this and I certainly didn't blame my teachers for the way society looks at modification.
    Last edited by Boo; 09-25-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<