Thread: New Nostril Piercing

Default New Nostril Piercing

Hi there

I recently (yesterday) got my nose pierced, and I had it done at a Sari shop (Indian/Pakistani/Bengali dress and jewelry shops are pretty common in my neighborhood, and they usually do piercings for pretty cheap)... and it feels pretty tight, which I hear isn't good if your nose swells. It was done with what looks like a regular earring, with a regular earring post, so it also looks a tad awkward. Has anyone else gotten their nosed pierced with a gun? and was it tight, as mine is? (there's no wiggle room, I can't push it up at all). If so, did that present any problems?

Also, the woman at the shop told me to clean it with rubbing alcohol every day for two weeks before changing it to a smaller ring... I've been cleaning it with antibacterial soap twice a day and soaking it in salt water (sea salt) for 15 minutes daily, and I'm told that the heal time would actually be closer to 6 months.

Basically, I'm utterly confused. Any help would be appreciated

I would typically go someplace more sterile but this was done completely on a whim.

You may get some more answers if you post in the piercing section of this website, especially the Ask a Professional thread which is stickied to the top. However, my advice?

Take it out, hope you haven't caught anything from being pierced with a gun (which cannot be sterilised) and that you're not having to go to A&E to get it cut out when your nostril swells and the jewellery starts to embed. If you can't remove it go to a piercer asap who may be able to help you. If you can do it yourself then remove, leave it a few weeks then go to a professional who will pierce it professionally and correctly. Do not put alcohol anywhere near it. Stop using soap as well as that will irritate it.

Sea salt soaks twice a day for 5 mins is correct (1/4tsp to 250ml), initial healing time for a professionally done nostril is 3 months, for a gunned one, you may find it never heals properly.

Educate yourself and look after your body.

Information on guns here.
    Information on nostril piercings and how to care for them here.
    Information on how to find a good piercer here.
    Information on how piercings heal here.

Read, learn, take it out, hope you're not infected with something and go somewhere better.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Senior Member quotidianaubergine's Avatar

Hazel's absolutely said it all...but I've moved the topic to the aftercare section anyways.
    currently: 1st lobes, 2nd lobes, nostril

retired: 1.6mm lobes, 6mm lobes, snug, 2 x helix, septum, 2 x nostril, 5mm lobes, labret, 8mm lobes, left tragus, right conch, right double forward helix

ouch, really shoud've waited and had it done with a needle! As said above I'd get rid and then have it done properly. I had mine done with a needle and it was a good experince. You need a proper nose screw in a piercing, not a cheap earing!
    Current piercings-

Right ear-
    Tragus
    Lobe x3
    industrial

Left ear-
    Conch
    Lobe x3

Nostril

Retired-
    Helix
    Forward helix
    Septum
    Rook
    Navel

3 tattoos

Oh my. This made me cringe so much. And the aftercare advice! :(

Hope it all works out ok for you
    Left Ear:
    8mm Lobe
    3 x Standard Lobe
    Tragus
    3 x Helix

Right Ear:
    4 x Standard Lobe
    2 x Conch

Nose and Nipples!
    (Miss my Scaffold and Sternum Microdermal :( )