Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helix/Rook Aftercare help

Default Helix/Rook Aftercare help

Hi guys,

Hope I'm posting in the right section. Just want some advice, mainly on my Helix as it’s driving me mad. I originally joined to ask for advice on my rook but after reading some threads I’ve seen I’m pretty much in the same boat as everyone else with this piercing!

Anyway, I’m pretty new to piercings (apart from standardlobe) having just started with them in Feb this year. I did a bit research and after deciding, went and got a Helix and Tragus piercing at the same time. Tragus has healed very well so far but my helix just isn’t happy, thought I’d cracked it when I went back to twice daily SSS (with buds and pads) about 2months ago but then I took a trip to the hairdressers and the hairdresser snagged it with towels, brushes, you name it on a few occasions. Since then it just won’t settle with SSS, it crusts up, it bleeds occasionally, it still swells.

Basically I want to know what else you suggest I try? I’ve been reading about chamomile tea bags on some threads, some youtube vids suggest savlon sprays. Also, how do you clean your rook piercing (had mine justover a month)? I was told to do it with a cotton bud soaking in SSS but there’s a lot of play on my curved bar and it moves quite a lot while I try my best to clean. I’ve tried cotton pads but I find it hard to get rid of crusties on my rook this way, though I find this the best solution for tragus and helix.

I’ve hopefully posted links to my piercings so you can take a look.

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/img1123e.jpg/
    imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/img1110b.jpg/
    imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/img1105ww.jpg/

Help! I really don’t want to have to resort to taking my helix bar out.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Pixiedot; 07-21-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Piercings
    Right : 2x Helix|Tragus|Rook| Double Conch| Triangle Lobe
    Left: Standard Lobe

Future
    Left: Forward Helix| Daith | High lobe

From your description and the pictures it seems like you are doing a pretty good job. All of your piercings are cartilage piercings and I am sure you have seen while sifting through the forums that 18 months to heal cartilage is not uncommon, especially since you have a few healing at once. If they were infected you would know, they would be hot, red, secreting pus and very sore.

Make sure you have the right mix for your SSS (1/4 teaspoon of sea salt to 250mL water, boiled then cooled to lukewarm). Use this same mix for your cotton buds. I think with your rook you'll find it is important to just be gentle. It isn't the end of the earth if it wiggles around a bit, just don't force it, eventually it will start wriggling around by itself. And this applies to any piercing really, whenever you are using the cotton buds don't shove them around, don't force bits loose. The SSS will loosen the crusties, the cotton buds can move them away but anything that is really attached, just leave it, eventually it will loosen as you soak and it will come off.

I would say stay away from Savlon, SSS is definitely the best method.

I know a lot of people on hear swear by adding chamomile tea bags to their SSS or using them as a compress. I have never done that but I am sure someone else will see this and add something about that.

I would say you're a long way from needing to retire it. I'm not expert but they look like pretty good piercings in your pictures.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

Thanks, that's made me feel a little better, i know they are a long way away from being fully healed, I just worry about the swelling. Today (as shown in the pics) my helix is quite swollen to the point that there is no movement on the bar. Because i am a fiddler (as I've said on other threads) I worry the swelling is the start of infection. I am soaking daily it though as i figure, why not, I have to do it for my rook anyway.
    Piercings

Future

Exactly, daily soaking is very good you can up to twice a day. Swelling is normal and a long way away from infection. Truly infected piercings aren't all that common. Especially since you sound like you're taking good care of them. I know it is hard but avoid the fiddling. That will irritate it...

I don't know enough about jewellery sizing and everything to comment about the bar being so tight. Maybe someone else can tell us if that is ok, but from the pictures, yes it looks swollen but the ball and back seem to be sitting as they should so I don't think it is something to be too concerned about and should be fine as it calms down. Keep up the soaks and try not to sleep on that ear (I know, I'm a turner... Easier said than done).
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

Not much I can add, just to make sure that by soaking you are actually submerging your ear in the solution, rather than just soaking a pad in it and holding it to your ear. I have used chamomile successfully on bumps; i make up a SSS and pop a chamomile tea bag in it, let it stew and then take the bag out and use as a compress while the SSS is cooling enough to put my ear in it. So you get a SSS and two chamomile treatments. Just make sure you;re not allergic to ragweed first, as that's likely to be irritated by the chamomile.

Generally, just keep on with what you're doing!
    *EV*

Piercings
    Right lobe x 3
    Left lobe x 3
    Right helix 2mm x 2
    Right tragus
    Right rook
    Left conch

Left forward helix
    Microdermal behind right ear
    Right Transverse Lobe

Septum - first facial piercing!

Ink
    Left wrist treble clef
    Right ankle paw prints

Left full thigh piece

Wants!
    Full back piece (drawn, waiting to reach goal weight)
    Eyes, right forearm
    Anti tragus
    Helix spiral
    Daith

How would I submerge? I've tried putting my ear in the cup before and tipping (attempting to create a vacuum) but that didn't really work, just ended up with salt water everywhere. I tend to lay on the sofa while soaking, so any water on the pad goes around my piercing and doesn't drip down my face.
    Piercings

Future

Try a wine glass or do it in the bath
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Well I have plenty of those! Will give it a go, thanks.
    Piercings

Future

Carry on doing what you are doing with SSS and try adding chamomile to the solution. Also try taking ibuprofen on a day when it's particularly swollen. Helix's take a long time to heal so all you need is paitence and it should finally settle down
    Currently have:
    Lobes x2
    Helix x 2 (right ear)
    Inverse Navel
    Double Nostrils
    Nipples (horizontal)

Want and hopefully getting:
    Tongue Web
    Rook
    Tragus

Considering:
    Conch
    Snug
    Nape microdermals
    Hip microdermals
    Labret

I use a cup or a ramekin, fill it right to the top, put it on a plate, then put it on the coffee table. Sit on the floor and lean my head over it. Sounds a bit convoluted but it works for me!
    *EV*

Piercings
    Right lobe x 3
    Left lobe x 3
    Right helix 2mm x 2
    Right tragus
    Right rook
    Left conch

Left forward helix
    Microdermal behind right ear
    Right Transverse Lobe

Septum - first facial piercing!

Ink
    Left wrist treble clef
    Right ankle paw prints

Left full thigh piece

Wants!
    Full back piece (drawn, waiting to reach goal weight)
    Eyes, right forearm
    Anti tragus
    Helix spiral
    Daith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast