Thread: Tattooing over self harm scars: Possible? Workable? Good/bad results?

Default Tattooing over self harm scars: Possible? Workable? Good/bad results?

I just need to know about whether this can be done and how effective it is and whether it will be good enough to mask the scars as much as possible or, at least 'disguise' them?

Any help gratefully received!!!!!!

It's cropped up before somewhere about tattooing over scars, or even scarification over existing scars. It's certainly possible, but it's unlikely the scars will be completely obscured. Depends on the severity of the scars, and the design you chose. I think someone had a koi tattooed over scars on their arm that was pretty successful. The way the ink takes will depend on the skin though, so it's something to ask a tattooist about really, as they could advise you better
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

I'm having a leg piece done over my more "extreme" scars, as I'd rather people commented on my lovely artwork than my "lovely" leg! It'll have to be touched up (my wrist tatt is over a stitched scar and has had to have a couple of touch ups, but is now fine) and if my wrist is anything to go on then it might hurt a bit more than non-scarred skin. Also need to take into account age of scars, how they're healed, texture etc. Feel free to PM me xxx
    *EV*

Piercings
    Right lobe x 3
    Left lobe x 3
    Right helix 2mm x 2
    Right tragus
    Right rook
    Left conch

Left forward helix
    Microdermal behind right ear
    Right Transverse Lobe

Septum - first facial piercing!

Ink
    Left wrist treble clef
    Right ankle paw prints

Left full thigh piece

Wants!
    Full back piece (drawn, waiting to reach goal weight)
    Eyes, right forearm
    Anti tragus
    Helix spiral
    Daith

You can do it. I've seen some that hid the scars quite well.
    Last edited by KamikazeKitten; 07-17-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: type error

Hi check out my post and photos: https://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/fo...w-does-it-look

If you look closely you'll see that I've been inked over my self harm scars. The scars will lump up after tattooing for a bit, like when you're sunburnt. I've got lots of scars that are not too deep, but a lot of them. I'm going for a 3/4 sleeve and now it's like I've got a new arm... the scars are still there if you look closely but there's so much decoration it takes a while to spot them!

I have two butterflies on my wrist, representing myself and my son, which I got to cover up some scars. You can still see the scars unfortunately so I'm planning on getting additional butterflies added.
    Last edited by sequinsnfreckles; 07-20-2011 at 05:18 AM.

It's certainly do able. I have a rather nasty scar on my leg which is completely covered by a large lily tattoo. Having it tattooed over actually flattened the scar as before it was very raised and dark red, now it's barely visible and you can only really tell it's there by feeling it.