Thread: nose piercing bump~ i wanna cry, please help

Default nose piercing bump~ i wanna cry, please help

hi so long story short, i got my nose pierced in january and it was healing perfectly (no bumps at all) and then i was admitted to the psychiatric ward at the three months after mark and they made me take it out and it closed up :c

i got it re-pierced at the end of may, same nostril, but in a different spot. i have to admit, i wasn't as diligent at cleaning it as i was the first time, but there were no bumps or irritation. a few days ago, the piercing came out completely, but i was able to put it back in. unfortunately, i got sick after that and was blowing my nose like crazy. a few days later, the bump began growing.

i have now developed a HUGE disgusting pump on the side of my piercing. it does not really hurt that much, there is no crustys, or anything that has oozed out of it. i'm so scared its permanent like a keloid! it has not been red, it is pretty much the same color as my skintone.

so far i have
    *sss (sterile, boiled water and salt, on a cotton pad left until the hot water (not scorching) goes cold) for around 2 days
    *i just did my first chamomile soak

my mom is going to get me asprin for the mask, and tea tree oil

can someone please help me get this thing to go away? im going to cry :c

PICTURES:
    http://tinypic.com/r/2ugkxvb/7
    http://tinypic.com/r/2ia4ryr/7

someone reply!!

Sorry no one replied hon not sure where everyone is!

First of all don't panic, its normal that piercings in cartilage get bumps. They happen because of irritation and obviously all that nose blowing and having the jewellery knocked out will be irritating! These are not keloids - true keloids are really rare on piercings and usually only on darker skinned people (its likely you would have gotten them on other wounds before too) what people mistakenly call keloids are hypertrophic scars - small bumps that go away with a little care!

These bumps do not have a magical fix, you cannot expect it to go away over night. It will take a few weeks of daily treatment to help it go down but it should disappear! Firstly dont use aspirin paste or tea tree oil on the bump - this is good for bumps that are still around after the piercing has healed but are too harsh to use on a piercing that is still healing.

Do sea salt soaks rather than the compresses with the cotton pads - you can't flush the piercing out properly that way and only really clean the surface! (Here is a guide: http://www.bodypoetry.co.uk/nose.aspx ) add chamomile tea to these soaks by popping in a tea bag while the water is hot.

You can also use the tea bag itself as a compress (so pour hot water on it and pick it up when its cool enough to touch but still warm) and its the chamomile tea which will soothe away the bump and help relieve the irritation and discomfort. It usually takes around 2 - 4 weeks for the bump to fully disappear when using the tea once or twice a day every day but you should begin to see results after the first week!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

1: give people more time than 1 hour to respond... not everyone who reads your post knows what to do.
    2: the bump isn't going to go away magically after two days of sss. The bump is scaring and it takes time for them to go away.
    3: DON'T use aspirin paste on it as though it may effectively burn the bump off... you burn it off and it's not going to look any better.
    4: If you use tea tree oil, you cannot use it straight up... that shit removes paint. You have to dilute it quite well in another base oil. So have your mom also get you some emu or jojoba oil, or in a pinch olive oil could work.

My recommendation is to continue with your sss and using chamomile. Make sure your salt soak ratios are correct though or you could irritate the piercing more. 1/4 tsp in 8 ounces of water. You can also use the chamomile tea bag as a compress on the bump.
    The bump is caused by some sort of irritation, and some of the methods you are thinking about will or may cause more irritation.... do your soaks and be patient with it.

edit: posted at the same-ish time.... I was being bothered while typing...
    Piercings: Same on both ears - 8g 1st lobes, 12g 2nd lobes, 14g conches, 16g rooks, 16g anti-tragus
    16g septum
    Future plans: 14g septum

Perfect advice!

My only contribution to add to that is 'don't freak out'! As far as I can tell, nose piercings especially seem to get these bumps easily, mine certainly did and it took a long time to go away but that is because I didn't look after it very well. Follow the advice you have been given above and it should go away soon, certainly not overnight, and you have to put the effort in, but it will go away in a few weeks.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by spankygurrl View Post

edit: posted at the same-ish time.... I was being bothered while typing...
    Hehe glad to see my distraction ninjas are doing good work *evil grin*
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.