Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Festivals banning "legal highs" but not booze?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. The stuff I mentioned is marketed as incense but it has similar effects of marijuana when smoked.
    Tbh, it doesn't surprise me at all. Alcohol isn't very good for you and yet it's legal, so it would make sense they would be allowed at festivals and not other substances.
    However, I am surprised by the amount of people that choose to get wasted at these things. I'm sure it's a good time, but I think I'd rather remember my time there heh.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by tacosareyummeh View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. The stuff I mentioned is marketed as incense but it has similar effects of marijuana when smoked.
    Tbh, it doesn't surprise me at all. Alcohol isn't very good for you and yet it's legal, so it would make sense they would be allowed at festivals and not other substances.
    However, I am surprised by the amount of people that choose to get wasted at these things. I'm sure it's a good time, but I think I'd rather remember my time there heh.
    Alcohol isnt very good for you but atleast its effects are well known and its safer than untested unknown substances , also most people are aware of how they will become when drunk, a persons reaction to a drug they have never taken before could be anything. Known illegal drugs are safer than legal highs ... atleast a doctor can treat a heroine, cocaine etc etc OD and they just need a blood test and can confirm what it is and how to treat it , but with an unknown they will have no idea how to treat it.

I dont drink much , and I wouldnt drink more than a little at a festival
    Got : tongue, rook, helix (x3), tragus, conch (x2), lobes (x4)
    Retired: daith, tragus, helix, wrist, daith, navel
    Tats: not enough

Quote Originally Posted by myhappymassacre View Post
    That's the problem with them. They're flashes in the pan, not the tried and tested (in the loosest sense) traditional illegal drugs, so the effects are rubbish and the comedown is poo. The thing at the moment is 'research chemicals', especially after mephedrone got banned. Some of these though, from what I've heard, are very very dangerous when not taken correctly, which is easy to do when there's no knowledge of it. Because they've been made in some dodgy 'lab' somewhere, so there's not experience with how they mix, or what dosage and stuff. Whereas stuff like MDMA was actually developed by doctors and is used in (i'm simplifying it a bit here :P) some medications. And it causes a lot fewer deaths than it's hyped up to cause. Each fatality caused by a legal high is just another reason why drugs should be legalised.

So yeah, better off drinking than doing those.
    This. Times a million.

That being said, I like some research chems. Irresponsible people are irresponsible people regardless of drug ingestion. Hell, I know too many people that are high on life... and not in the good sense.
    Rob <3's you all... except you.

Current
    Labret (1.6), Tongue (9) Septum (6), medusa (1.6), right nipple (1.6), left conch (1.6), right conch (7), vertical lowbret X 2 (1.6), helix (3.2), left lobe (18 & 2.4), right lobe (14)

Retired
    side lip x 3 (1.6), right lobe (6), pinna (1), naval (1.6), bridge (1.6), left nipple (1.6) old stupid black heart tattoo.

Ink -
    some ink...

IAM: NameLess

Quote Originally Posted by 666 View Post
    Alcohol isnt very good for you but atleast its effects are well known and its safer than untested unknown substances , also most people are aware of how they will become when drunk, a persons reaction to a drug they have never taken before could be anything. Known illegal drugs are safer than legal highs ... atleast a doctor can treat a heroine, cocaine etc etc OD and they just need a blood test and can confirm what it is and how to treat it , but with an unknown they will have no idea how to treat it.

I dont drink much , and I wouldnt drink more than a little at a festival
    I agree minus the bit about alcohol being safer than untested unknown substances. Theoretically, it would make sense, but you can't know that for a fact if it is indeed untested. But yeah, the reaction could be anything.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.

Quote Originally Posted by tacosareyummeh View Post
    I agree minus the bit about alcohol being safer than untested unknown substances. Theoretically, it would make sense, but you can't know that for a fact if it is indeed untested. But yeah, the reaction could be anything.
    As more and more of the sort of "tested" drugs get made illegal more and more dodgy labs will be producing chemicals with unknown toxicology but the desired effects. IMHO alcohol will always be the safest option compared to drugs, with drugs the doses in pills/powder can vary hugely and for untested chemicals the "safe" and "unsafe" doses are totally unknown so overdosing is much easier and more dangerous , Doctors will not know how to treat it as effectively, Alcohol and known drugs are much safer in that respect. In pharmaceuticals so many drugs that give the desired effect for one thing can be totally toxic, my uni tutor worked making drugs for about 10 years and said that even though drugs are totally perfect at treating the disease they end up killing or causing other mutations and its really hard to get a drug with no side effects.

At least when you buy alcohol you know it is fit for consumption and has not been mixed with god knows what. Drugs both legal highs and illegal highs are mixed with alsorts of stuff that could be more dangerous than the drug itself.
    Got : tongue, rook, helix (x3), tragus, conch (x2), lobes (x4)
    Retired: daith, tragus, helix, wrist, daith, navel
    Tats: not enough

I mean, alcohol itself is a drug...and I don't think it's the safest compared to all powders and pills, but if we're talking about knowing what's in it then in that sense it is. Kinda besides the point though.
    Last edited by tacosareyummeh; 05-27-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Current

The worst case scenario for legal highs is people who don't do their research. There are some extremely good forums for the discussion of legal highs, people from all fields contributing to the pool of knowledge on each one. From chemistry experts evaluations of the chemical formulas to people trying them and giving accurate descriptions of the effects in as fair testing conditions as is physically possible. The last few that I have tried I've fully researched and spoken to people and only purchased from trusted sites with very food feedback regarding purity and quality. Knowing what to expect and being sensible with legal highs makes them as safe as anything. But obviously there are the people that don't believe it's possible for 20mg of something to effect them and go over the top giving the substance a bad name. That's what annoys me and that's why I've kept every single one of the decent new chemicals completely secret from most people in an attempt to stop the wrong people trying it, having a bad time and getting it made illegal.

It really depends on which chemical you are talking about. High level Alcohol use is significantly more deleterious to health than moderate use Mephedrone or MDMA. Some chemicals such as 2C-B, 2C-E and 2C-I (I know these aren't legal highs as such, as all phenethylamines bar phenethylamine itself are class A in the UK), and Tryptamines, such as 4-Aco-DMT, aMT, LSD and Psylocybin (again, controlled in the UK), are significantly safer at sensible dose levels than Alcohol. I agree that some of the novel research chemicals can have some quite unpleasant effects on health (novel Amphetamine analogues are potentially neurotoxic - how much? well that hasn't been determined yet), and exotic chemicals such as DOB and Bromo-dragonfly can be downright deadly in overdose, whereas others such as DOC and DOI, and some of the more unusual Tryptamines are probably not that harmful, but lack any toxicity data, these truly are research chemicals in the strictest sense (DOI for example was developed for radio-ligand mapping of Serotonin receptors in mammalian brains). No-one really knows how toxic Mephedrone (MCat, 4-MMC) is - at any rate banning it is not the answer, as there is strong demand for it (I was recently asked in a club if I knew anyone selling it, which surprised me a bit), so its now on the black market, and cut with all sorts of potentially harmful impurities, which is almost certain to increase the harm it causes.

The other issue of course, is that with the tablets which are sold as herbal highs, no-one really knows what's in them (as they don't list ingredients), or in what quantities. Its obvious this is not a good thing. I would imagine on balance, that moderate-high doses of Mephedrone (evidence is starting to emerge that MCat is worse than MDMA for overall toxicity) is still safer than moderate-high dose Alcohol. Of course, Alcohol is one of the most easily abused drugs out there, and its a fact that many people can't handle its effects well. In the scheme of things, alcohol is a pretty crap drug - its dirty, and there are thousands of better chemicals out there.
    In Trance We Trust

Current Piercings (pain /10)

Central Lip (3), Right earlobe (2.5), Right top of ear (2.5), Nose (2.5), Tongue (3.5), Both Nipples (Left, 4, Right, 3), Prince Albert (4), Ampallang (5).

I want

Pubic . Nape . Lorum . Tongue again . Vertical Nipples . Some surface piercings. Want to start getting some tattoos done - still thinking about designs.

My IAM (currently inactive): http://iam.bmezine.com/?clubberdude1981

i disagree fully!!

Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_shedevil View Post
    They're not gonna ban alcohol as it brings so much money to these festivals. A lot of these so called 'legal' highs can actually be pretty dangerous.
    Whereas alcohol is perfectly safe, right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast