Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any "mature students?"

Default any "mature students?"

ive decided to do something with my brain before it atrophies entirely...

namely a BA(Hons.) in History&Politics

im older than most folks here (by probly 10 years) but im interested to hear anyones experiences with "going back to school"

cheers
    froovs

Most unis have a mature student's association, I know strathclyde does (where I went) It's brilliant to be able to chill out with people who are over 18!

I found my brain didn't work at first and it was crazy how much I'd forgotten, but it came back/got easier after a month or two. If there's a summer school at whatever uni you're going to, I recommend signing up, just to get back into gear. I didn't, cos I didn't know about it but from people who went, it was very helpful.

and don't worry about being that bit older, you'll find you're not the only one and you'll fit in soon enough

Good luck!
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Theres loads of mature students at my uni and tbh I prefer to be with them than the people the same age as im quite mature as I have worked in industry for a few years and been exclusively with proper adults while working so going to uni and being made to work with a bunch of immature time wasting idiots really winds me up ....
    Got : tongue, rook, helix (x3), tragus, conch (x2), lobes (x4)
    Retired: daith, tragus, helix, wrist, daith, navel
    Tats: not enough

I've spent the last 18 months doing an NVQ2 in Children's Learning and Development and on to a Level 3 Diploma for Children and Young People's Workforce with the intention of going on to start a foundation degree in sept.
    To be honest it was a route that I hadn't planned on taking but it fits in with my kids really well. The first trip back into education since I left college at 18 (now 33) was really enjoyable, a nice easy course to coax my brain out of hibernation. My level 3 has been a huge amount of work as it's a new qualification which isn't tried and tested so no one quite knows how to mark it and how to test working knowledge. It's made me put my degree on hold for at least a year as I've found it stressful and exhausting.

I'd recommend an ease back into education before committing to uni place.

Good luck.
    Piercings
    1st Lobes 1.6mm, 2nd Lobes 1.2mm, Left Tragus 1.2mm, Left Helix 1.2mm, Right Conch 1.2mm, Nipples 1.6mm, Navel 1.6mm, VCH 1.6mm, Outer labias 2.5mm, Inner labias 2mm, 1mm Left Nostril, Right Daith!

3 Tattoos!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Lastic View Post
    I've spent the last 18 months doing an NVQ2 in Children's Learning and Development and on to a Level 3 Diploma for Children and Young People's Workforce with the intention of going on to start a foundation degree in sept.
    To be honest it was a route that I hadn't planned on taking but it fits in with my kids really well. The first trip back into education since I left college at 18 (now 33) was really enjoyable, a nice easy course to coax my brain out of hibernation. My level 3 has been a huge amount of work as it's a new qualification which isn't tried and tested so no one quite knows how to mark it and how to test working knowledge. It's made me put my degree on hold for at least a year as I've found it stressful and exhausting.

I'd recommend an ease back into education before committing to uni place.

Good luck.
    level 3 is a pain, im doing that alongside my degree... im glad I didnt take a break otherwise id not be able to handle this!

Quote Originally Posted by 666 View Post
    level 3 is a pain, im doing that alongside my degree... im glad I didnt take a break otherwise id not be able to handle this!
    It's just such a pointless qualification! I'm only interested in pre-school age and yet I've had to cover birth to 19 years! I wanted to do the disability and additional needs units but apparently none of the assessors at college were trained to assess me! It's been horrendous, not helped by a crap college!

Alongside your degree! I take my hat off to you!
    Piercings
    1st Lobes 1.6mm, 2nd Lobes 1.2mm, Left Tragus 1.2mm, Left Helix 1.2mm, Right Conch 1.2mm, Nipples 1.6mm, Navel 1.6mm, VCH 1.6mm, Outer labias 2.5mm, Inner labias 2mm, 1mm Left Nostril, Right Daith!

3 Tattoos!

I did a PGCE 9 years ago at the age of 31, after which my brain packed up and I vowed no more studying !!!!
    I'm Corinne

stabbed
    inked
    and not stopping yet

I'm on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=783178572

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Lastic View Post
    It's just such a pointless qualification! I'm only interested in pre-school age and yet I've had to cover birth to 19 years! I wanted to do the disability and additional needs units but apparently none of the assessors at college were trained to assess me! It's been horrendous, not helped by a crap college!

Alongside your degree! I take my hat off to you!
    My qualification is pointless too but my work wants me to do it, did level 2 as well again alongside studying a degree and working 40 hours with about 7 hours commuting on top ... im crazy in short will finish the level 3 next month then I only have 3 more years left of degree!

I struggle to fit studying in with work and a family life that includes an autistic 7 year old and a very lively 4 year old!

I traded my brain in for 2 small boys.......studying hurts!

Still 2 reflective accounts and a question and answer session and it'll all be over! Level 2 was really easy.
    Piercings

3 Tattoos!

yeah level 2 of mine was easy I just couldnt be bothered with it , I have 13 GCSE, 3 alevel , 1 as level and a HNC in chemistry ... level two lab skills was pointless but I did it in a month ... ha

going to do most of my level 3 in the month too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast