Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer problem, any tech-savvy people?

Angry Computer problem, any tech-savvy people?

I thought I might as well give this a shot:

Apparently I ended up getting a virus on my Acer Laptop and I had to do a clean install. Since my Acer doesn't have a disk drive they put an ERecovery thing on there with all of the stuff you need. So basically I ended up doing a clean sweep/install (or whatever it's called) on it and I start it back up. Now I'm trying to connect to the wi-fi at my house with it, and it only gets to the "acquiring network address" part of it, and it won't finish. I'm thinking maybe there's an additional driver I might need that didn't come with eRecovery that I need to DL somehow (even though that wouldn't make sense..but yeah) and it's not the wifi because my Wii still connect perfectly fine to it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions I could try? I have an acer aspire one that's a bit over 3 years old...

Thanks so much for reading this, and if you have ANYTHING at all, please let me know! THANKS!

ah, this is where driver magician or similar is very handy - lets you take a copy of your drivers before you nuke everything

too late for that now tho

look on the bottom and giveus the exact model number and ill show you what driver you need

cheers
    froovs
    Last edited by froover; 05-17-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelt my name wrong, d'oh

I doubt you need a driver - the erecovery should have installed that for you. It sounds more as if you just aren't negotiating the connection with the access point. Have you entered the wep/wpa/wpa2 key? Googling "acer wifi problem" seems to come up with various problems and solutions. I wonder if the fix given here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer...fi-module.html

helps (turning off the power saving on the wifi module)?

(Oops: just noticed that you might need a new driver: it seems as if the original one was a bit flaky, and this might be the one included in the recovery partition)
    Last edited by julian; 05-17-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: extra info

in an ideal world the restore images would be perfect, but in practice i see a lot that arent

at the very least there are almost certain to be updated drivers around

cheers
    froovs

A08150 is the model numbers.

Thanks!

So, I went to the acer website and found my model number and I downloaded two things: Wireless LAN driver and LAN driver.

I'm trying to connect but it's still stuck on the same thing, but maybe there's something I need to do to the files after I DL them? I just extracted them...

Did you install them (not just extract the files from the archive)?

It sounds like there are two different types of wireless device used in this model - an atheros one, or a broadcom one, and you need to make sure you install the correct driver. The lan driver will be for the ethernet connection, the wireless lan is the driver you need.

One person found that they got the wireless to work by using an ethernet connection to the internet, and then allowing windows to search for updated drivers - I don't know if that would be an option?

Yeah, I could deffinitely plug my laptop in to where my desktop is. How would I be able to search for updates?

I did click download and then I opened the file, and extracted them. I even checked by going to computer right clicking and device manager and under wireless adapters I made sure the aetheros was there.

I think maybe the update thing is what I need to do though, because I don't know if it would matter but my laptop did come out in 2008 so maybe the drivers that were installed on eRecovery would be rendered useless...but it's also weird that the drivers on the actual acer site aren't doing anything either!

My acer laptop has some unusual driver "quirks" one routinely corrupts every few months meaning my sound doesnt work ... sorry thats of no use but yeah
    Got : tongue, rook, helix (x3), tragus, conch (x2), lobes (x4)
    Retired: daith, tragus, helix, wrist, daith, navel
    Tats: not enough

or just get the sound drivers from realtek or maker of the original driver than the one from acer. I had many laptop like that when working in the schools ict support department.
    Current Piercings (pain /10)
    6mm left lobe (1/10),
    2mm right lobe (1/10),
    eyebrow (2/10),
    tongue (4/10),
    Left nipple (3/10),
    P.A (4/10).

Tattoo
    1 Right shoulder Tribal
    1 Left leg Tribal wolf
    Large back piece (needs Finishing)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast