Thread: Tell me what you're thinking

I had a rather long chat with my mum today about university and we've pretty much agreed that it would be a good idea for me to transfer from University of Salford BA Journalism to University of Manchester BSocSc Sociology.

I've looked and I can get funding for the whole three years and I meet the entry requirements. You need BBB plus at least one in a list of subjects. I have BBBab and I've done A2 English Language and A2 Psychology as well as AS Sociology and AS Government and Politics (All of which are on the list you need). On points alone I have ABBB.

She also agreed the option of me doing a PGCE to become a Sociology teacher would potentially be a good idea. And she said if I cant get funding for that then my parents would help me, or I would go on a gap year between then and my degree finishing and I would try and get enough money via working to fund myself.

I can apply through UCAS Extra and I know if I was accepted it would likely be an unconditional offer. I just generally need some advice on whether it should be a thing I go for and do. I've contacted Manchester about it so hopefully I get a reply soon and I'm considering emailing my course leader saying that I'm thinking of dropping out and doing Sociology and what process would I have to go through to get released from the uni. I'm kinda worrying though because I have til April and then I have to pick my second year Journalism options, which is effectively me re-enrolling for second year.

I don't know what to do >.< I've worked out transport from Salford to Manchester as I've got my accommodation and it's doable - and if Manchester say yes I can arguably have my UCAS done and sent in a week (plus I think it'll be cheaper than last time as it'll be my only option) and I need a reply ASAP so I can get my student finance sorted.

Seriously if anyone has any thoughts please help me out because this is a massive decision and I'm about 90% set on it, I'd just like as many thoughts as possible >.< (goes off to make a thread on TSR and have people laugh at me for going to Salford... :L)
    You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

Ginny Weasley

MERCI POUR LE VENIN

Quote Originally Posted by Rosasaurr View Post
    I had a rather long chat with my mum today about university and we've pretty much agreed that it would be a good idea for me to transfer from University of Salford BA Journalism to University of Manchester BSocSc Sociology.

I've looked and I can get funding for the whole three years and I meet the entry requirements. You need BBB plus at least one in a list of subjects. I have BBBab and I've done A2 English Language and A2 Psychology as well as AS Sociology and AS Government and Politics (All of which are on the list you need). On points alone I have ABBB.

She also agreed the option of me doing a PGCE to become a Sociology teacher would potentially be a good idea. And she said if I cant get funding for that then my parents would help me, or I would go on a gap year between then and my degree finishing and I would try and get enough money via working to fund myself.

I can apply through UCAS Extra and I know if I was accepted it would likely be an unconditional offer. I just generally need some advice on whether it should be a thing I go for and do. I've contacted Manchester about it so hopefully I get a reply soon and I'm considering emailing my course leader saying that I'm thinking of dropping out and doing Sociology and what process would I have to go through to get released from the uni. I'm kinda worrying though because I have til April and then I have to pick my second year Journalism options, which is effectively me re-enrolling for second year.

I don't know what to do >.< I've worked out transport from Salford to Manchester as I've got my accommodation and it's doable - and if Manchester say yes I can arguably have my UCAS done and sent in a week (plus I think it'll be cheaper than last time as it'll be my only option) and I need a reply ASAP so I can get my student finance sorted.

Seriously if anyone has any thoughts please help me out because this is a massive decision and I'm about 90% set on it, I'd just like as many thoughts as possible >.< (goes off to make a thread on TSR and have people laugh at me for going to Salford... :L)
    do what makes you happy
    look at the wonderful mess that we made.

blog

left: lobe
    right: lobe, conch, helix
    want:​ snug, tragus and daith!

Why do so many people think that not going out and getting drunk every week means they must be "old"? I've never done that anyway so Lord knows how "old" I must be!
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

I think it's because a lot of people do it as they grow up, I went to a lot of house parties from about 14/15-17 and then 17/18 I went out a lot, probably 2-3 time a week minimum but now I feel more settled and don't go out very often, so when I look back on it I do feel like I've grown up a lot since then and do feel a lot older than when I was out every week.
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Quote Originally Posted by mindthegap View Post
    do what makes you happy
    true I've emailed Manchester and one of my old teachers. I've started doing my UCAS and I've only got my personal statement, reference and GCSEs to put on it. If Manchester say I can apply I'm going to email college and ask them if my old form tutor will do me a reference and if she's says yes and does one for me I'm going to send off my form as soon as.
    It let me put it down as an option so that gives me some hope, and according to the people on TSR I should get an unconditional, and if I get a conditional my condition may be something like sending in my certificates as proof of my grades.

They also advised me waiting until I know exactly what is happening with Manchester (i.e. getting an offer) before I tell Salford that I'm leaving because I hold an offer with another university.

Just working out how to write a personal statement is a PITA - I don't know how much to put in about this year etc. Luckily because it's the only uni I'm applying to I should be able to make it super focused to give me the biggest possible chance of getting an offer.

at this point I've got nothing to lose, if Manchester works out - brilliant. If it doesn't, I go to second year here.
    You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

Ginny Weasley

MERCI POUR LE VENIN

Quote Originally Posted by MissSherwood89 View Post
    Why do so many people think that not going out and getting drunk every week means they must be "old"? I've never done that anyway so Lord knows how "old" I must be!
    I reckon they mean "older". I see a lot of 20-somethings say they're old because they don't go out or they have had a kid or got a sensible job etc

I often wonder what they must think of me lol! I'm 35 soon!!! *gasp*

And no I don't feel old
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    I reckon they mean "older". I see a lot of 20-somethings say they're old because they don't go out or they have had a kid or got a sensible job etc

And no I don't feel old

Due to doing a life time of drinking while I was in the Navy I stopped (totally) about 3 years ago, I just don't fancy it anymore. Dose that make me old?
    Hi, Call me Rob.

Current:
    Nothing.
    Retired: Hafada 3, Tounge, Nipple (Left), Surface (Right Wrist) & Navel x2, PA. Horizontal Nipples 2mm.
    Wish List: Vertical Nipples 2mm, Ampallang.
    Ink: Scorpion left shoulder & dream catcher left arm.

I Like Being Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post

And no I don't feel old
    Difference is you don't look 35

I know I'm a major culprit for saying I feel old. I used to go out all the time when I was younger, I went to a lot more gigs and always used to be at the front. Now I'm stood by the bar haha. Feel like I've aged about 20 years mentally just over the past couple of years alone.
    Stabbings I still have
    Right ear
    : 2 x helix, conch & rook
    Left ear: helix, conch & tragus
    Tongue web, nostril, septum
    Triangle, VCH & 2 x outers

But the people saying it are the ones who used to go out every night, get drunk all the time and not want to spend their weekend in their house (well the ones i see are! ). There comes a point that shifts and you dont mind staying in, you see theres better things to be doing than spending the weekend in bed with hangover. Thats part of growing up. But you still see people you know doing it so in comparison you feel older. I sort of see it as 'id like to be out tonight but i just cba. Il make a jokey status about being old so they still think im fun but really im so happy i can stay at home tonight'

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigspanners View Post
    Due to doing a life time of drinking while I was in the Navy I stopped (totally) about 3 years ago, I just don't fancy it anymore. Dose that make me old?
    No....why? I don't call anyone "old" I don't see the point in it, I mean sure if you're over 70 then you're pushing the old factor pretty well in terms of description imo.

The point I was making is that people just out of adolescence call themselves old for a myriad of reasons when I feel they mean older as in, they're not a kid anymore who can just flit about with no responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by polythene_girl View Post
    Difference is you don't look 35

I know I'm a major culprit for saying I feel old. I used to go out all the time when I was younger, I went to a lot more gigs and always used to be at the front. Now I'm stood by the bar haha. Feel like I've aged about 20 years mentally just over the past couple of years alone.
    Thank you that's very kind of you to say

I used to go out quite a lot until a couple of years ago and a hell of a lot more than that over 10 years ago. I miss it, I kinda wish I went out more now instead of the 1-2 times a year now!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<