Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The budget thread

Default The budget thread

Anyone have any tips or tricks to make life a bit cheaper?

Thought we had something like this before, but its never a bad thread to have! I'm thinking along the lines of how to save money, what bargains you've seen, how you've saved money on your lectric bill etc!

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

Obvious, but still awesome - Money Saving Expert is a great place to start...I always search the forums when I go anywhere or go for a meal, to see if there's any vouchers or offers on.

Whenever I buy anything online, I check Quidco first to see if I can get cashback. Flights, hotels, jewellery (10% cashback from BJS!), phones, broadband, utility bills, clothes - you can also register your debit/credit card and get cashback in some actual stores, although it's usually less than the online cashback I think. If you use my referral link btw, you'll get 1.25 credited to your account once you've gained 5 cashback. I've got 209.78 cashback since I registered, and I only buy things I would've done anyway.

(edited to change the Quidco link so anyone who signs up still gets the 1.25 - they changed all the default options today so it's not split anymore! hopefully anyone who signed up before they changed it should still get their share though)
    Last edited by insideout; 02-14-2011 at 05:19 PM.

I try to spend as less as I can on groceries. I also don't spend money on clothes I don't need - I never liked shopping and I know for myself, even if I had a lot of money, I wouldn't spend it shopping, totally pointless and a waste for me (unless you need something ofc). I used to buy tons of snacks that were bad for our health and also totally pointless to have. The last couple of years, I only buy the things we truly need. Also, it helps me to put away a specific amount of money for groceries and stick to it. That way, I know that I'm not supposed to go overboard and spend more than we can afford. I do my own nails/waxing/makeup and generally taking care of myself so I never spend money on salons, etc. My sister in law is really good with doing hair so I don't spend money on that either, cause she does it for me once a week. Can't help you with the electric bill as the system works totally different here in NL than anywhere else in Europe so we pay a fixed amount a month no matter what we spend and you can choose the cheapest electric company anyways, so electricity is not a big expense here. We manage great and even saved some money and we are on one salary at the moment, as I'm at home with the baby and I'm really proud we did! Soon, I'll be working as well and we'll soon be able to buy the house we live in now.
    "When I turn around and walk away, it doesn't mean you've won. It means your stupid ass isn't worth any more of my time."

Tumblr

Facebook

I love MSE for anything budget/thrift related and also for utilities you simply cannot find a better site with all the information on one page. I do surverys, just been able to buy my son a cabin bed from argos for nothing by saving up my vouchers for the past 10 months or so and it hardly feels like work.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Yeah I remember ages ago making a shopping tips thread. I've got one tip for you all. Something I noticed in Asda the other day. Since the VAT rise it's obvious that the costs of producing their own branded stuff has gone up. But determined to be able to say they are the cheapest, rather than rising the price of say for example, the long lemonade flavored cables, they've halved the size of them. So when it comes down to a "we're cheaper than Tesco on xx products" make sure to check the quantity is the same.

Also, cheap toilet paper hardly saves a penny. You'll notice they're a lot further down the isle from the leading brands. This is so that you don't think the rolls look small, but they are. They're a lot smaller than the real things.

That's enough tips from me today.

I've been walking a lot more rather than getting a bus or taxi. It's only saving a few quid each time, but it must add up!.. Bus fare into Newcastle is 1.80 each way, but I've realised that I can walk it in 25 mins.

I noticed that I never managed to eat a whole loaf of bread before it went stale, so I've started keeping it in the freezer and getting a slice out at a time. The price of bread never ceases to amaze me these days.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to knock the tattoo appointments on the head. I'm not really focussed on it, and I'm desperate to move house. That extra 200 per month would be a big boost to my monthly savings... The more I save, the better the rate I can negotiate on my next mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by insideout View Post
    Obvious, but still awesome - Money Saving Expert is a great place to start...I always search the forums when I go anywhere or go for a meal, to see if there's any vouchers or offers on.

Whenever I buy anything online, I check Quidco first to see if I can get cashback. Flights, hotels, jewellery (10% cashback from BJS!), phones, broadband, utility bills, clothes - you can also register your debit/credit card and get cashback in some actual stores, although it's usually less than the online cashback I think. If you use my referral link btw, you'll get 1.25 credited to your account once you've gained 5 cashback. I've got 209.78 cashback since I registered, and I only buy things I would've done anyway.
    i've just joined this, how does it work? do you go to the sites through their links and its automaticly credited to your account?
    *Danni*
    Current
    left lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, 2 x helix, conch
    right lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, tragus
    septum, 4mm
    eyebrow, nose, tongue (3.2mm), both nipples, navel, vch,
    cherry blossom leg branding
    Retired
    surface navel, sternum skin diver, 3x wrist MDs

Plan weekly meals in advance.

This way, I go into the supermarket knowing exactly what ingredients I need [which helps stop impulse buying]. Plus, if you base it around what you've got in the fridge/freezer, you'll make sure things dont go out of date/to waste.

E.g. I've planned my meals for the next five days, and found that all I need to buy is potatos, tinned tomatos, and fruit/veg.
    Right ear: 3x lobe [1x 8mm], rook.
    Left ear: 2x lobe [1x 8mm], auricle, tragus, conch
    Other: Septum, nipples

I am Flo, the short and buttery one

I want Pat's babies

No one misses the quiet kid...

frozen veg is alot cheaper than fresh. lasts alot longer, you dont need the top brands, own brands are the same!

cut down on buses. walking or jogging where you want to go isntead

taxi sharing: done this with strangers going the same way as me, and friends.

3 x helix (1.6mm, 8mm), rook, snug, 2 x tragus (1.2mm, 4mm), 2 x daith, anti tragus, 2 x 16mm lobes, 6mm conch punch, 8mm helix punch

double nostrils, philtrum, double septum (2mm, 10mm)

3.2mm + 2.4mm navel, 2 x horizontal nipple, R vertical 2.4mm nipple, 2 x inner labia

want:6mm tragus

flo i do the same as you, i also do not buy anything thats not on my list, no matter how tempting it is.

you can also buy in bulk and cook batches of stuff and freeze them, or buying a large portion of something and splitting it up into portions to freeze, i buy a 12pack of sausages, 6 pork loin steaks and large containter of mince and then freeze in portions because it works out cheaper than buying as and when you need.
    i also buy when something i normally buy is on offer, if its 2 for 2quid and 1 is usually around 2quid i buy twice the amount as its a saving, i have many things in my cupboards brought this way, as long as you pick the longest sell by dates you can stockpile a lot of stuff.
    *Danni*
    Current
    left lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, 2 x helix, conch
    right lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, tragus
    septum, 4mm
    eyebrow, nose, tongue (3.2mm), both nipples, navel, vch,
    cherry blossom leg branding
    Retired
    surface navel, sternum skin diver, 3x wrist MDs

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast