Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The budget thread

I saved money this winter by not using the heating at all (that's right, no heating at all!) and using hot water bottles and a duvet instead.

One of my tips is to buy a big bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap (lavender and peppermint are the best for me) and use it as face wash, shower gel, shaving gel, and shampoo. It can be used on fresh piercings too - the two helix piercings I got done recently are healing really well with a daily clean with this soap - and as an added bonus you won't need conditioner because Dr. Bronner's is sulphate free and therefore not drying.

You should be careful with things like heating and ventilation. If you don't heat a property enough, you could end up with condensation and mould everywhere... especially in older properties.

Not sure if its been mentioned, but Groupon is a great site. It has a new offer everyday at a really cheap price. Todays (for newcastle) is 'Photo Shoot and Make-Up for 19 at FYEO Portraits (Value 99)'. So if theres something on that your interested, you can normally save around 80%. They often have offers on hotels, restaurants, some shops etc.
    Names Katy
    Piercings
    Current:
    Left Ear - 3x Lobe, Tragus + Helix
    Right Ear - 3x Lobes
    Navel
    Left Nostril
    Both Nipples
    VCH
    Retired:
    Right Snug (Never Healed Correctly!)
    Wanting:
    Right Daith
    Right Scaffold
    2nd Left Nostril

Tattoos
    Left Wrist - B+W Tribal Rose
    Right Wrist - B+W Tribal Butterfly

The book of my face << Feel free to visit

Quote Originally Posted by bigredfish View Post
    You should be careful with things like heating and ventilation. If you don't heat a property enough, you could end up with condensation and mould everywhere... especially in older properties.
    plus the risk of frozen and broken pipes.
    *Danni*
    Current
    left lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, 2 x helix, conch
    right lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, tragus
    septum, 4mm
    eyebrow, nose, tongue (3.2mm), both nipples, navel, vch,
    cherry blossom leg branding
    Retired
    surface navel, sternum skin diver, 3x wrist MDs

Quote Originally Posted by insideout View Post
    I don't know how other areas compare but the local market in the city does amazingly cheap fruit & veg. My boyfriend came home with about 7 peppers, 20 chillis and a big box of strawberries (like what would be about 3.50 in a supermarket then) for 1 each.

I'm also an Aldi fan (their coke & Asda's coke are the only ones I like, and I need my caffeine!), although I do the majority of my shopping at Morrisons, simply because it's on my way home and I figure I spend more money on the petrol going miles out of my way to Asda, haha.

I also try to check this page (and also BeforeIShop in case there are any that MSE haven't put up) before I go shopping and try to only take note of vouchers for things I wanted anyway...not be tempted by other things, heh.
    My dad used to work at waitrose and he said they say there that the best place for fruit is aldi! For some reason they do great fruit and veg and it lasts. So now I go there for my stuff.

I also found primark is good for home stuff as well as sainsburies.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf View Post
    My dad used to work at waitrose and he said they say there that the best place for fruit is aldi! For some reason they do great fruit and veg and it lasts. So now I go there for my stuff.

I also found primark is good for home stuff as well as sainsburies.
    See, I've never been impressed with the fruit & veg in my local Aldi =/ I only like Braeburn apples and they don't do those, and the amount of stuff I've seen covered in bruises/mould is rank. Everyone else I know says their Aldi is full of good stuff though so I think it's just my dodgy local shop, haha.

Buy CVS brand products, same exact thing as the name brand but cheaper.

Only buy things that are on offer if you actually need/want/plan to buy them! (or can store them until you do need them, like washing up liquid) Might have been said already but I need reminding
    Also buying meat/fish and freezing in portions is great.

Get draught excluders (tomorrow's job). The front door on our new flat is so draughty it rattles whenever someone else on the landing opens a door.
    Wear jumpers and slippers. Amazing how cold you can get if your feet are cold.

Can I have people's opinion on this one please?
    The new flat has no gas, so the hot tap water comes from an immerser. I haven't bothered my arse to use it yet! The shower is leccy and heats as it trickles, but for the little amount of washing up I've just been boiling a kettle and topping up with cold. I don't imagine it's worth heating (and waiting on) an entire tank of water just for one little washing-up bowl, so the only time I'm going to is if/when one of us wants a bath.
    Any thoughts?
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    Only buy things that are on offer if you actually need/want/plan to buy them! (or can store them until you do need them, like washing up liquid) Might have been said already but I need reminding
    Also buying meat/fish and freezing in portions is great.

Get draught excluders (tomorrow's job). The front door on our new flat is so draughty it rattles whenever someone else on the landing opens a door.
    Wear jumpers and slippers. Amazing how cold you can get if your feet are cold.

Can I have people's opinion on this one please?
    The new flat has no gas, so the hot tap water comes from an immerser. I haven't bothered my arse to use it yet! The shower is leccy and heats as it trickles, but for the little amount of washing up I've just been boiling a kettle and topping up with cold. I don't imagine it's worth heating (and waiting on) an entire tank of water just for one little washing-up bowl, so the only time I'm going to is if/when one of us wants a bath.
    Any thoughts?
    I used to do exactly the same as you when me and hubby lived in a leccy only flat
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Bump!

We're moving into our own house soon (eeee! ) so money is going to be very tight. Need to live as frugally as possible.

Anyone got any new amazing tips?
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue