Thread: Piercing hips in two days... Seeking advice

Default Piercing hips in two days... Seeking advice

I've wanted these babies for I don't even know how many years. I talked to all the piercers in town & found this one guy with extensive training in piercing who has just returned from a series of surface piercing courses & intensives out in California. Ding ding ding! We have a winner! We talked for almost an hour and decided that surface piercings, rather than microdermals, would be the better option for me (I'll save explaining the details/reasons for my diary thread).

He took my measurements & fitted me for my jewelry, and I made a $20 down payment. Two days ago, he called to tell me that the jewelry from Anatometal had come in, and I scheduled an appointment for this Saturday. Now, this has been the only thing I've been able to talk about for two weeks and I've been super pumped...

Until today. I worked up the guts to actually watch a video of the hip piercing process on YouTube. I got so faint & nauseous that I had to lie down & drink something carbonated. Wtf? I guess I never considered the pain before now because I've never experienced pain from any of my piercings (3 lobes, tragus, navel). The only pain I've ever experienced was gauging my tragus from an 18g to a 16g, & that was partially because the guy who switched it out was a dumbfuck.

Basically, I don't want to back out & need insight from someone who has gotten hip surface piercings. How much did it hurt, honestly? What can you compare the pain to, if anything?
    current: lobe x3, left tragus, navel, hip surfaces

want: left nose, right daith or forward helix, horizontal nape

As far as i can remember my navel hurt a far lot worse than my hip did..
    I got it a long time ago and remember thinking that the pain was far better than i was expecting. Yet tbh none of my surface piercings hurt a great deal, i just wouldnt watch the process if it made you feel ill.
    After its pierced probably hurts more tbh, its bruises and you cant move that area of your body very easily without it hurting and some clothes rub on it which hurts initially but you get used to adapting how they sit.. & belt loops..check it not caught in them before you stand up, has to be the most painful part of having your hips pierced :(

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

dpack_1

Going to a piercer that 'just went on a course' is a fucking terrible idea.

Any piercer suggesting surface bars over microdermals in your hips is giving you bad advice.

Worrying about the insignificant pain of this piercing is the least of your worries at this point.

Lyssa: Thank you so much. I've heard so many things from "the pain was a 10/10" to "I didn't feel anything but pressure." So that really made me feel better about getting them done. The soreness I can deal with easily, it's the actual process that freaks me out.

dpack_1: I wasn't really asking opinions on whether to get microdermals or surface piercings. I appreciate the input, but as I said I have many reasons that I will save to share for my diary & am confident in my decision. In addition, it would be too late to switch to microdermals, as my custom-made jewelry has already arrived & my appointment is in two days. I simply wanted some personal experiences so I know what exactly to expect because my nerves are starting to grow rampant.
    current: lobe x3, left tragus, navel, hip surfaces

want: left nose, right daith or forward helix, horizontal nape

dpack_1

You can expect an ill experienced piercer that believes a short training course is all that's needed to perform complex piercings such as this.

Pain wise they aren't bad at all, i've self done 37 piercings (as a professional), including surface and dermal piercings, all piercings hurt, thats part of the experience, but it would be no different from a particularly bad paper cut, or giving blood, or scraping a knee. They are far from 'that' bad.

Don't watch videos on youtube, any piercer letting clientel film them is being rather irresponsible as it'll only heighten the nerves of the piercee, which is why you end up seeing lots of girls screaming on Youtube when in reality you will be left with a "is that it" sensation.

I would still recommend you find yourself a piercer that has a full portfolio of such piercings and doesnt boast about an 'intensive course out in california' that they've done. Your 'custom' jewellery isn't custom, it's just been ordered from anatometal at a preset length, most reputable studios would keep said jewellery in stock and not need to order it. And i really am curious as to why you cant share the story behind wanting surface bars over dermals as they are far more likely to hold up over bars, cause less scarring should they migrate / reject, are easier to care for, fit better and really have no downside when compared to bars. So if it's just some excuse this underqualified piercer is giving you i'd like to recommend you find a better studio,.

Looks like someone could have benefited from doing proper research...looks like you got a proper brainwashing seeing as you put 'want' over anything else.

At least he ordered from anatometal...