Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racism

Senior Member quotidianaubergine's Avatar

Racism is learned, usually dependent on upbringing or social circles - I've never read any evidence to suggest it's a genetic response. This is probably because racism makes no scientific or evolutionary sense, as every human comes from the same ancestry once you go back far enough. It's an especially abhorrant form of bigotry that people have created out of ignorance and fear.
    currently: 1st lobes, 2nd lobes, nostril

retired: 1.6mm lobes, 6mm lobes, snug, 2 x helix, septum, 2 x nostril, 5mm lobes, labret, 8mm lobes, left tragus, right conch, right double forward helix

Senior Member DreadfulFaeryFalls's Avatar

I feel that I should point out that there is "racism" and then there is the catch-all, knee-jerk response to cultural differences that people like to label racist. Big difference
    Current: Lobes at 14mm
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

niiiiiiiiiice

Quote Originally Posted by .Only.Streetlights. View Post
    In my opinion racism is fear, and fear is a learnt response.

We may learn it at a very, very young age as a result of our parent's views and actions but I don't believe a newborn has 'built in' racism.
    +1 I was going to say that, stressing stuff I studied in uni and going on for hundreds of words but no point. You've summed it up so much more eloquently.
    Call me Genni...

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"

Keeper of the magical hunting bees with Trivium and Miharu

*proudly wears her dictionary straight-jacket*

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

Senior Member .Only.Streetlights.'s Avatar

It'd be nice to know there was evidence to back me up though :P I just went with a subjective opinion.
    Queen C aka Cazaclysmic

I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. -Stephen Roberts

summing up, from the articles I've read: For years and years it's been a common assumption that humans are naturally scared of the unknown. In fact this makes no sense in the light that trading between cultures and countries and exploration of the unknown happened long before we thought it did. Humans are hardwired to explore and to want to learn things and our great strength comes from team work and tribes would probably have come together more often than we used to think. This evidence comes from written documentation as far back as writing goes and evidences of trade routes being well used (you can pick up the magnetic disturbance left by fires and tell how often fires were put in the same place etc). There's also evidence that human tribes often mixed in the past (you can get a sample of tooth and test the isotopes from when they were little and then when they get older and then accurately map where that person has moved from and to) and you often get mixtures of people from different places in cemetaries and burial grounds.

So that implies that fear of the unknown and fear of people from different tribes is not a genetically hardwired trait.

Then there's all the stuff that's been mentioned earlier about how animals can be brought up to have completely different fear stimuli depending on who brings them up.

On the argument of tribalism that's been mentioned:
    a) Chimps are vicious buggers who will kill ,torture and eat anything that gets in their paths. This hasn't been observed in other apes and so doesn't really hold much water as an evolutionary argument because chimps are not our ancestors they are a seperate branch to us as are the other great apes. The only times you can use ape behaviour to make evolutionary assumptions are when it's a trait seen in all apes but not in non ape primates.
    b) Tribalism is a sense of identity to a group of people. This doesn't have to include fear, suspicion and violence against anyone from another group. It's a common assumption I haven't seen any evidence for.

Sorry that was really long and came across as stuffy and patronising. Really was not meant!
    Call me Genni...

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"

Keeper of the magical hunting bees with Trivium and Miharu

*proudly wears her dictionary straight-jacket*

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

Racism is has a huge history that stems from both natural and societal issues. I believe it's most likely as a result of a huge history of people being raised to a fairly static set of views, having little experience or knowledge of others and being raised by those who are aware and consider their views as superior, because an instinctual reaction to others in protecting your own beliefs. For example religious war in terms of the Knights Templar leading a military movement against Islam to regain Holy land which they believed history dictated to be theirs. The development of ideas around the planet combined with an animal are innately stubborn as humans leads to clashes that start on a subjective level, and most of the time come to realisation through war or events as a result of thought processes. Much like the idea that certain Europeans steal our jobs (the idea that we are entitled to jobs more so than these people) manifesting itself as violence towards them or hatred of them and their culture.

For example religious war in terms of the Knights Templar leading a military movement against Islam to regain Holy land which they believed history dictated to be theirs.
    The Knights Templar werent responsible for the Crusades - they were initially founded to protect pilgrims who were travelling to the "Holy Land". The Pope called for a crusade after Muslims armies invaded Jerusalems etc and the leaders of various European countries answered.
    Its a personal bugbear but when it comes to illustraing religous war, why is it always the evil westeners and their crusades. why does everyone forget that Islam also swept in and copnquered/destroyed other countries and civillsations. Any religion where people are convinced their way is the only way always leads to trouble. And if people are going to use ancient warfar and apply it to modern day then we should do it with in an unbiased way
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

Quote Originally Posted by DreadfulFaeryFalls View Post
    The Knights Templar werent responsible for the Crusades - they were initially founded to protect pilgrims who were travelling to the "Holy Land". The Pope called for a crusade after Muslims armies invaded Jerusalems etc and the leaders of various European countries answered.
    Its a personal bugbear but when it comes to illustraing religous war, why is it always the evil westeners and their crusades. why does everyone forget that Islam also swept in and copnquered/destroyed other countries and civillsations. Any religion where people are convinced their way is the only way always leads to trouble. And if people are going to use ancient warfar and apply it to modern day then we should do it with in an unbiased way
    The clergy then, the point being a Christian army fighting a holy war for ideological reasons. Also most likely because the death toll was so large and it's the most familiar to the west.

Also most likely because the death toll was so large and it's the most familiar to the west.
    The death tolls werent unusual for medievil warfare. Wholesale slaughter tends to go hand in hand with pitched battles and religion. European Christians inflicted far worse on each other for a far longer time, the same for Muslms in the East but like I said its just a personal bugbear. But you're right in that the propaganda of the Crusades still exists today.(bloody da Vinci code)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast