I thought I might as well write this because I'm bored of the subject and want to see if any of you lot have any input.

First of all I would like to say that I consider myself a liberal, and I also still stand by my choice to vote for the party in the last general election. Before the May election this year Nick Clegg did indeed sign a pledge to say he would oppose a rise in tuition fees, however now the situation has changed, and I whole heartedly stand by the rise in the tuition fees cap. The situation as it is currently puts the cap around 3, 225, with graduates beginning to pay their loans when they reach an income of 15,000.

The reformation of the tuition fees benefits the poorer students above all, and those opposing are actively helping reduce social mobility. The new system will mean that the level at which you pay is increased to 21,000. The average graduate salary lies currently at around 22,000-24,000 and average overall income in the UK at around 22,800. Is it not increasing the fairness of the system by excluding those far below the average income, at around 15,000, where it lies now, both in terms of graduates and overall? This will reduce all graduates bills significantly, while removing those who struggle to pay the most all together. Granted, students may have to pay it longer, but most fail to mention the vastly increased maintenance grants, being made more generous and progressive. It's also hugely more helpful to part time students, removing the previous pay up front policy. One of the primary motivations for my support also, is that of a free year for the talented and poorer students, what is more helpful than giving them a free year, increased bursaries, and a later starting date?

I shan't go into the pipe-dream that is free higher education, you only have to look at Scotland to see the realisation that free education is not sustainable. I would also go into the gaping problems in Labours graduate tax, however to save making this an essay I won't.

Thoughts?