Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tuition Fees.

to be controversial here I dont agree at all with means testing. its not a fair system , why should you be judged on your parents income?

I come from a council estate , lived on benefits until i was part way through secondary school when my mum married a man with a good job. I still went to the same poor school and college and never receive a penny off them , but now im not entitled to a penny of the government apart from the standard loan which is pennies and not enough. Why should some students get some years free and others have to pay for them? My mums rich man has just retired, so although he earnt a lot he couldnt afford to give me anything because they had to finish paying the mortgage and save up for a pension.

I took up an apprenticeship that im not enjoying because its the only financially viable option for me , I could have gone to uni full time but with no help from my parents and a loan that would maybe cover halls fees if I was lucky and no garuntee of finding a job I couldnt afford it.

As for EMA thats a joke anyway. Students should get a free bus pass and college books rather than money in their pockets.

Everyone should pay the same fees, get the same loan and get the same grants, that is fair.

im struggling to do a subject that im not really interested in because that was my only option ...

I agree that only really intelligent people should get to go to uni because the more people who have degrees the less they are worth. If everyone has one there is nothing to differentiate between people. Back in my nanas day having O levels was a big thing, and in my mums day A levels were the big thing and now its a degree , the next generation the thing everyone gets will be a masters and then everyone will have one and then the same will happen to pHd
    Got : tongue, rook, helix (x3), tragus, conch (x2), lobes (x4)
    Retired: daith, tragus, helix, wrist, daith, navel
    Tats: not enough

Senior Member DreadfulFaeryFalls's Avatar

I suppose they judge your parents income becasue at 16 or 17 and in full-time education, you wont have an income of your own to make decisons about. That said they just assume that your parent/s will support you and tough shit if they dont. It is hard tho - why should children from wealthy familes get the same funding as skint ones. Its already easy enough to spot those people - fancy state of the art laptops, latest shiny gadgets that are superflous to uni life, money to burn in the union etc etc. Those kids have already usually been given extra help by their wealthy parents to begin with - a good few of the better off kids in my year had private tuition to improve their grades, not an option for me. I used my EMA for art supplies and past papers.

OT but how frickin expensive were Standard grade and Higher Past Papers!!!!!!!!!! why is it that the uni can print them out for 10p each but at school you have to fork out 8.00 for each frickin subject??? Not cool
    Current: Lobes at 14mm
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

I see your point

but from 14 or so I had to work to get money as they didnt have enough to help me , I dont really think that 30k as the top limit (thats what it was when I applied) is fair at all as that is peanuts for a family of 4 when you consider mortgages, cars etc especially in city areas where prices are higher. I had handed down phones and computers because I couldnt afford one. At 16 I got no money at all , if it wasnt for my grandma giving me 12 a week I wouldnt have been able to afford college through college it was the kids on EMA that had phones, pcs, could go out drinking and had designer clothes. My grandma paid for my driving lessons to so that I could go to work, if I didnt have my car I wouldnt be able to the what would easily be a 2 -3 hour commute each way that is one hour in teh car .

There will never be a system that suits all.

But I think a free bus pass for all in education and free textbook vouchers for all would be a good start at least every one could get to uni/college and have the books to study from

I didn't receive any financial help going to college either, but I still agree with means testing as a general concept. My father supported our entire family on a lab technician's salary, and at the age of 18 I started working full time. It took me over two years to work my way onto an apprenticeship P/T degree, and another 5 years to get anywhere close to a sensible salary...

The way I see it, there are plenty of people 'on the cusp' financially... but there is always someone worse off.
    I'd hate to deny anybody who is a 'diamond in the rough'. However, we're currently in a situation where one degree means nothing and people need two degrees to get ahead. Therefore, I believe in means testing coupled with strict university entrance grades.

rjs

I'm pretty sure you can apply for funding in a way that involves declaring that you're getting no help from your parents, and then you're assessed on your income alone - 666, have you looked into that?

Quote Originally Posted by rjs View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can apply for funding in a way that involves declaring that you're getting no help from your parents, and then you're assessed on your income alone - 666, have you looked into that?
    IIRC, you have to prove that you've been completely independent for the last 3 years.
    Right ear: 3x lobe [1x 8mm], rook.
    Left ear: 2x lobe [1x 8mm], auricle, tragus, conch
    Other: Septum, nipples

I am Flo, the short and buttery one

I want Pat's babies

No one misses the quiet kid...

Senior Member DreadfulFaeryFalls's Avatar

But I think a free bus pass for all in education and free textbook vouchers for all would be a good start at least every one could get to uni/college and have the books to study from
    That would be sensible - and maybe they could just put a cap on the price of textbooks - 50, for a book!! i dont think so somehow.
    Current: Lobes at 14mm
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

Quote Originally Posted by rjs View Post
    as flo said i'd have to prove ive been independent but I cant do that while im renting a room in their house , so ill carry on

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345