Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Your Piercing(s) and Your Job.

I work in a supermarket and the official standards of dress state no more than two piercings per ear, no visible piercings aside from one nostril, must be a stud, no visible tattoos and hair must be business like in style and colour. They were enforced when our shop was newly open however 3 years on its very lax and no one bothers about mine anymore!
    Piercings

2x 00g lobes
    Tragus
    Anti Tragus
    Forward Helix
    Inner Conch
    3x Outer Conch
    Belly Button

4x retired piercings.
    7x tattoos.

Talking

Hello everyone,

i currently have 2 jobs one paid and one unpaid work experience.
    my paid job is in a convenience store in a small village. The official rule is 1 set of studs and a nose stud but I wear all of mine. I also previously had a shift manager with about 8 piercings in each ear who wore rings on every finger and nothing was ever said. A few people have piercings of various sorts and the only one that is hidden as such is somebody who wears a clear bar in her eyebrow. The thread seems to have extended to hair an tattoos so I will too. I have had various edge of natural colours (red, orange and purple) with some pretty wacky highlights including blue dip dye and the worst I had from my manager was 'that's a bit bright'. I don't have any tattoos myself but several people do and although one guy is paranoid about keeping them hidden he doesn't actually need to.

at my work experience my boss is a legend, nothing has prompted comment at all not even the blue dip dye and apparently he thinks I'm great at my job, although if your not paying someone it's probably doing a good job if they keep turning up on time :/

the last 'proper job' I had before starting university was as an accounts assistant at a factory that made metal beams. It was very conservative, we weren't even allowed to talk to each other during working hours unless it was to do with work. I was there for 5 months and on the last week before I left someone finally spotted my nose stud and simply said 'when did you get that done' the reply being 3 years ago lol. I think they were morse distracted by my clothes than looking at my piercings ( yellow shirt, paisley shirt, blue leather skirt etc)

When it comes to my future employment as I am looking to work in marketing where creativity is valued I would like to think I won't have a problem with my piercings or the tattoos I hope to have. If I do come across any barriers particularly anyone who deems them offensive I would have to think seriously about the fact I am unlikely to be happy working for that company. Don't get me wrong I would take the job and take them out (assuming my helix is healed by then) but I would keep looking for a different job somewhere where I feel I fit and can be myself.

soz for the long post I have quite a lot to say on this as its always my mums argument when the subject comes up. 'What about work?'

I'm a holistic nutritionist currently working at a health food store, though I do also work for myself. The field I'm in is pretty much all hippies and awesome spiritual nuts so it's fun and very easy to be authentic.

I haven't had any issues with my nostril piercing, not that it's necessarily very unprofessional anyway (depending on the workplace I suppose), and my helix is rarely visible as I usually wear my hair down. One of my managers got a butload of piercings all up her ears and tattoos and stuff so it's all good. Customers that come in don't care, a lot of them have piercings themselves and are pretty hipped out anyway.

Mostly I just feel like whatever, other people's rules/opinions shouldn't determine our paths!

back 8 years ago i use to work for superstore and i couldn't even have bloody nose stud or more then three earings it was stupid, but you were allowed to wear a bandaid over them like that looke more approrpiate it was stupid. But now they are so desperate for people they've eased up on that rule alot and you see way more people with piercings working there, but my full time job is working with adults with disabilities and they have no issues in regards to my piercings as long as i do my job.

Well for me it's school. School are like completely against piercings! We are only allowed one lobe piercing per ear and can only wear plain silver or gold studs. I have to cover my ears with my hair daily! Most annoying thing ever but I love my ear piercings so
    Left Ear:
    3 Lobe
    Helix

Right Ear:
    3 Lobe
    Helix
    Tragus

Want:
    Rook
    Third Helix
    Navel

Retired:
    Scaffold

If I'm working for a private company I'm fine if I'm working for a government sponsered/subsidised company like i was during the summer I can't have visible piercings

Does my job allow piercings? No. Not aside from the usual lobe stubs/rings anyway. Does that stop me or anyone else? No... When I started there, I had only single lobe holes (though nothing in them at the time, only recently started utilising them actually) and a single labret stud (quite close to my lip line, off to the side) I asked if it was cool, and it was requested that I change it to a less obvious one. So I switched the silver ball (same one it was pierced with nearly a year ago, though the bar was changed to a much shorter Bioplast within a month of getting it done due to teeth-knocking and nearly ripping it out when hooked on teeth a few times) now have a tiny pink sparkly stone in there. Far less noticeable.

Since then (only been there 3 months) I've gotten industrial (scaffold) and nose. Nothing has been said about either.

At first I was totally prepared to remove the piercings and keep the job if asked. Now though, I would definitely try to remove the job first...replace it with a better suited one

Should add, another girl there (and was there at least a year before me) has more metal in her head than I do, and as far as I know she has never been asked to remove anything)

Absolutely fine at my job, then again I'm doing night shifts at the sorting office temporarily for Christmas..... there's also a permanent guy there doing letters who has stretched nostril piercings (at least 12mm I think) and tattoos at least all over his arms, neck and the back of his head. I haven't had a chance to chat to him though hehe.
    25mm Lobe x2, 10mm Helix, 8mm Septum, 8mm Conch, 4mm Conch
    4mm Tragus, 3.2mm Tragus, 2.4mm Scaffold, 2.4mm Lip x5, 2.4mm Vertical Nipple, 2mm Cheeks
    1.6mm Nostrils, Helix, Daith, Bridge, Navel, Rook, Snug

I work in retail, sales to be precise, in a large DIY chain. The policy is ‘one stud in each ear (doesn't state where in the ear) and one nostril stud in one, or both nostrils - no rings’
    i think the nose studs are allowed for religious purposes, and because they cant be seen to discriminate all are allowed them.

I have however never been asked to remove 2nd lobes or tragus, and they never even mentioned my lower labret when i had it. Another girl also has an industrial, nose and labret that seems to go unnoticed by management.
    They did however make my friend on the night team remove all his lip and nose piercings, but i assume this wqs either a h&s thing or down to his ass of a team leader.

Only customer reactions so far have been positive, or just inquisitive :-D
    Hai, I'm Nox!!

Current; L&R Firsts @ 1.6mm, L&R Seconds @ 1.2mm L&R Low Auricles, R Tragus, R Nostril, L Rook
    Researching & Planning; R Daith, R Faux Rook, L Nostril, L Inner Conch,
    L Side Labret, L&R 5mm firsts
    Retired; Central Labret, 4 Standard Lobes, Naval, 4mm Seconds