Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too early to re-size?

Default Too early to re-size?

Hey, I've just had a medusa piercing and it's a week old. The labret stud is stupidly long and I keep chomping it (which hurts!). Is it too early to put in an 8mm (currently a 10mm) or do I need to wait a bit to make sure the swelling doesn't come back?

Advice is really appreiciated =)
    Current piercings
    4x L&R lobe (2-00g 1sts *GOAL!*),Conch - Conch Industrial, Left helix, Right daith, Right outer conchx3, Paired nostrils, Centre Lip, Medusa, Tongue, VCH, HCH, 2x inner labia, Septum, double triangle, triangular fossa V.2, tragus V.2, Dahlias

Current Other mods: 14 hours of tattoos and a 2nd generation magnetic implant

"It's not infected. Stop touching it."

Definately wait a bit longer...
    i got mine done on the same day as you and although mine is healing extremely well, i think it would be so very angry at me if i changed the jewellery this early!
    I know long jewellery is a pain but it's not worth losing your beautiful medusa over :P i changed my nose jewellery too early and ended up having to retire it
    Wait another 2 weeks i'd say - tho others may say otherwise

I haven't got a medusa but just a normal labret, was initially pierced with a 12mm titanium labret bar, I downsized to a 10mm bioplast one after 3 weeks because I was sick of chewing the back of it too. I could probably downsize to an 8mm one now but my lips are always a bit puffy in the morning lol, so the 10mm is a very snug fit then but looks a tiny bit big as the day goes on.

I'd give it at least another week before you change it, 2 if you can but it is annoying catching the bar all the time so I understand your frustration hun :(
    Stabbings I still have
    Right ear
    : 2 x helix, conch & rook
    Left ear: helix, conch & tragus
    Tongue web, nostril, septum
    Triangle, VCH & 2 x outers

You'll need to go to a piercer to have the shorter bar put in anyway, so you could always go and ask. I'd personally give it another week though.
    these make me cool rite guys??

2 central labrets, philtrum, 2 temple microdermals, 14mm lobes, 4mm upper lobe (right)

retired: 2 temple surface piercings

i would say go to the piercer now to change it. im sure you will do more damage to the piercing by biting the labret stud than having the jewellery changed. possibility of damaging teeth too.

rjs

A lot of piercers size down labrets after a week if you're not having any issues, so I'd pop in and see your piercer and see what they think. Don't try and change it yourself - you need sterile jewellery in it.

As rjs says as long as there is no sign of swelling anymore it should be fine to downsize, most piercers just recommend two weeks to be on the safe side in case your piercing decides to have a swelling party!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

How easy would it be to change my own never having done it before? I want to get rid of my steel labret and get another one that I have in. It's sterile and I can do a proper surgical hand scrub so that side of it won't be a problem. I just don't really see the point of trecking into town to my piercer if I might be able to do it myself. It's just under 2 weeks old now.
    Current - lobes (lx2, rx2), rook, labret
    Future -
    forward helix,
    http://neverendingparade.tumblr.com/

I had my medusa done for about almost 3 weeks. I really barely swell with any kind of piercing and I also had a 10mm stud when I got it pierced. I changed it after a week and a half, but just because I was 100% sure that the swelling had already gone down (I usually just swell for about 6 days) and that it didn't hurt anymore. I had tried to change it after a week because the bar was annoying, but I realized that the 8mm stud I had was still too small, so I just put back in my 10mm stud.
    I know how annoying long studs can be but change it only if you're sure that the swelling has gone completely or else it will be very angry at you!
    I'm sorry about my English, I try my best to make you understand what I mean.

Current:
    4x Ear Lobes (2x @ 10mm); L. Eyebrow; L. Forward Helix; R. Nostril; L. Helix; R. Tragus; Navel; Medusa;

Retired:
    Smiley; 2x Snake Bites; 3x Ear Lobes; 2nd Helix; Lower Navel; Septum; Venoms; Vertical Labret; Bridge;

In years to come:
    Lower Navel (Re-pierced); Venoms (Re-pierced); "Just Breathe" tattoo on ribs;

Quote Originally Posted by HannahKate View Post
    How easy would it be to change my own never having done it before? I want to get rid of my steel labret and get another one that I have in. It's sterile and I can do a proper surgical hand scrub so that side of it won't be a problem. I just don't really see the point of trecking into town to my piercer if I might be able to do it myself. It's just under 2 weeks old now.
    I change my own piercings following the indications my piercer gave me and using the studs/bars that he gave me. If you're sure that it is sterile and if you can wear gloves, you should be okay
    But be sure that the swelling has totally gone

EDIT: oh, and it's really easy The first time I changed my snake bites I was really nervous because I was afraid it would close right away, but in the end I made it and it was easier than I thought
    Last edited by erida; 11-08-2010 at 06:18 PM.
    I'm sorry about my English, I try my best to make you understand what I mean.

Current:
    4x Ear Lobes (2x @ 10mm); L. Eyebrow; L. Forward Helix; R. Nostril; L. Helix; R. Tragus; Navel; Medusa;

Retired:
    Smiley; 2x Snake Bites; 3x Ear Lobes; 2nd Helix; Lower Navel; Septum; Venoms; Vertical Labret; Bridge;

In years to come:
    Lower Navel (Re-pierced); Venoms (Re-pierced); "Just Breathe" tattoo on ribs;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast