Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you be put off from getting a piercing because it was popular?

Default Would you be put off from getting a piercing because it was popular?

For instance, tongue piercings are extremely popular and a lot of ear piercings ( i.e rook) are becoming increasingly popular. Not implying that I would by any means let that affect my decision on a piercing, i'm just curious, would you be put off from getting a piercing if it were extremely popular?

No, but I have no facial piercings or tattoos which I can't hide under a tee-shirt because I accept that people in general are either scared by them or judge you for them. Plus my mods are for my own appreciation, people I meet don't necessarily need to know about them - I'm rather old-fashioned in that I think some of the younger piercing devotees with extreme facial stuff are probably only into it to wind their parents up and will regret some of them later!

Quote Originally Posted by Alish003 View Post
    Plus my mods are for my own appreciation, people I meet don't necessarily need to know about them - I'm rather old-fashioned in that I think some of the younger piercing devotees with extreme facial stuff are probably only into it to wind their parents up and will regret some of them later!
    + 1.

I get pierced because I like the way it looks on me and it's an expression of myself/my personality. I'd never be put off getting a piercing even if it became 'popular'. As long as I love the piercing and I feel that it suits me then I'll get it, it doesn't bother me how many other people have the same one.
    Current: 4 Lobes (10mm & 2.4mm), Tongue Web, Navel, Right & Left Nostril, VCH (2mm), Right Rook, Septum (3.2mm), Triangle (2.4mm), Left Tragus

RIP: 2 Sternum Microdermals, Horizontal Nipples, Right Conch

Tattoos: Falling Leaves on inner right wrist (AFI), Song Lyrics on right ribs (AFI)

I'm Helen

No way would it put me off, I have never gotten something because it was 'popular' I get them for me. If they just happen to be popular then fine, but I don't really care what other people are getting. I know it might sound daft but I just feel more like me with them.
    Current piercings: 7 in each ear, both tragus, both forward helix, 2 right nostril, ring in left nostril, septum. 3 lower lip piercings, webbing, 2 micro dermals in my chest, left nipple, bottom navel, VCH
    Retired: 2 eyebrow micro dermals, 2 eyebrow rings, both cheeks, 2 lip piercings, top navel
    Future: Lots! Erm my conchs, some surface bars in my chest

No, but I have no facial piercings or tattoos which I can't hide under a tee-shirt because I accept that people in general are either scared by them or judge you for them. Plus my mods are for my own appreciation, people I meet don't necessarily need to know about them - I'm rather old-fashioned in that I think some of the younger piercing devotees with extreme facial stuff are probably only into it to wind their parents up and will regret some of them later!
    spot on the money, i would love to be a fly on the wall when a lot of the " in crowd " gets to where they have to knuckle down and get a stable job....
    Nick

piercings:

both lobes at 22mm
    both conch's punched at 8g
    septum at 6g
    frenulum at 12g

left eyebrow at 10g

tattoos:
    3/4 tattoo body suit

want:
    pierced nipples
    maybe a tongue web'
    L/R daith piercings

RETIRED
    both tragus's 12g due to severe migration

hit me up on crackbook

http://tattootaffy.tumblr.com/

I get things cos I want them. I dont really hang around with heavily tattooed or pierced ppl, in fact I'm prob most tattooed & pierced person in my social circle. And compared to most of ppl on here I'm pretty tame!!

I do know a couple people who got skindivers/microdermals as they liked mine but I think thats more because they never seen them before. I done the same, saw couple people with them & liked them so researched & got md by my tragus. No one I know has them so to everyone else its a novelty.
    Have:2 pairs lobe, tragus, forward helix tongue, navel, Tribal heart pattern on lower back, Star just above ankle, Fairy on waist , Capricorn symbol on wrist, 'J' behind ear, Heart below hip, Coloured stars from back of neck across right shoulder, Pattern on hand by thumb, Initials on out side of right wrist, Pattern on foot, 3 Flowers on left arm
    Retired:
    Tragus md, 2x wrist skindivers

I'm a bit guilty of this - i always vowed never to get a tragus piercing because EVERYONE was getting it done. I've just come out of school age (well, im 19 now) and when i was there it became the done thing to do... i think because it was an acceptable yet *slightly* more 'extreme' piercing than what everyone already had (lobes and bellies!). They were doing it to follow a trend whereas i get piercings because i just love piercings and the way they look and stuff... I just enjoy the whole process - even the aftercare!
    So yeah it put me off a lot - though when i did get it done, i loved it

Yeah I'll be honest and say popular piercings put me off!

Agreed. A lot of people are really surprised when they find out I have a septum piercing, tattoos, and stretched lobes because I don't really put them on show. I definitely prefer it that way; I'd rather people get to know me before they judge me for having piercings.

Anyway, popularity has never put me off getting a piercing. The vast majority of people here have pierced or stretched lobes, and what could be more popular than that? I know I didn't get them to fit in and that's all that matters.
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

Look how many people have their lobes pierces...nuff said.

Besides, what's popular in one area won't be in another. I can easily say I've never seen a rook or a daith on people round here. Yet someone else I know who lives a few hundred miles away says quite a few of her friends have rooks and a couple have daiths. Certain mods can catch on in small circles and seem popular. I choose mods because I either like the look of them or I just want them, it's a personal thing. I wear jeans too like a ton of other people. that doesn't bother me either. I also don't have mods for certain reasons, not suited, can't be bothered babying it for so long, damage to teeth etc.

And if you're basing popularity from this forum then that makes no sense as this is a piercing forum so it won't be balanced, unless rooks are becoming popular where you live. If you don't get mods cos they're popular then don't move areas, where you move to may make it so your once unusual mod is now popular! Unless you have really unusual ones
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast