Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of saline solution and how to make it, plus Aseptic Technique 101

Really useful, just made myself a litre of saline to these specifications to use on my 5 day old tongue piercing (plus older scaffold & naval) and it already seems to have calmed it down where I was using mouthwash before which I found too harsh and was turning my tongue yellow >.<
    Of course, you can buy pre-made SSS from most piercers (which I've done in the past for my scaffold & naval), but it's about 3.50 for a 100ml spray bottle, whereas the sea salt I bought was 72p for 350g
    One question though, I know it must differ with the type/placement of piercing, but how long should you keep cleaning it for?
    Left Ear: 1xlobe, Scaffold
    Right Ear: 1xlobe
    Belly button & tongue

Planned: right ear snug, tattoos

What a helpful post!

This is an amazing post, and now I know why the area around my piercing is kind of black and unhealthy looking. the tissue was probably necrotized because i put too much salt in my water! thanks again

So, hoping someone can offer some help here. I pierced my own cartilage about a month or so back (I know, bad idea, but it worked) and I recently noticed that the angle I pierced it at is weird looking. It sorta starts high and slopes down through my ear and comes out at a lower point in the back, and while it's hardly noticeable unless you inspect my ear, it just bugs me. I'm perfectly fine with re-piercing it, but it would be a pain in the ass to wait until the thing heals up until I can pierce it again. Since I really like the placing on this one, Could I just go back in with the needle at a different angle and try to pierce it through? Or would that just give me a bigger hole and scar up? Also, I did the whole salt soak thing since I thought it might have been just the slightest bit infected and a little pus came out. Any advice and/or should I be concerned about the pus?

Just found out the piercing isn't infected. The stuff coming out is just lymph. So the only problem is the angle.
    Last edited by therainbowrabbit; 05-14-2012 at 06:36 AM.

So right now I'm doing SSS every night using Le Paludier Unrefined Course Sea Salt. (Would provide a link but my post count is too low.) Reading all these detailed instructions has made me worry... Please oh please tell me that this product is considered ok, guys - I've been using it for the past two months. >:

Quote Originally Posted by Vyo View Post
    So right now I'm doing SSS every night using Le Paludier Unrefined Course Sea Salt. (Would provide a link but my post count is too low.) Reading all these detailed instructions has made me worry... Please oh please tell me that this product is considered ok, guys - I've been using it for the past two months. >:
    It'll be fine, it's sea salt so won't worry, unrefined also means it's pure and doesn't have anything else added into it I think. So as long as you're using the correct ratio you'll be fine
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    It'll be fine, it's sea salt so won't worry, unrefined also means it's pure and doesn't have anything else added into it I think. So as long as you're using the correct ratio you'll be fine
    Phew. That's what I thought, thanks. I use a little espresso cup full of water and a little under a level teaspoon of salt. Does that sound right?

Also I'm a little confused about the hotness. I've heard some people say too hot is bad for the piercing and lukewarm should be used, and I've heard others say to use "as hot as you can stand it". Does it make much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyo View Post
    Phew. That's what I thought, thanks. I use a little espresso cup full of water and a little under a level teaspoon of salt. Does that sound right?

Also I'm a little confused about the hotness. I've heard some people say too hot is bad for the piercing and lukewarm should be used, and I've heard others say to use "as hot as you can stand it". Does it make much of a difference?
    That ratio is wrong, you need 1/4tsp to 250ml water, have a read of the 1st part of this thread and it explains how to make it up. As for heat anything from warm to hot as long as it doesn't burn you is fine.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    That ratio is wrong, you need 1/4tsp to 250ml water, have a read of the 1st part of this thread and it explains how to make it up. As for heat anything from warm to hot as long as it doesn't burn you is fine.
    So... I suppose I should use about an eighth of a teaspoon, assuming my cup is about 90ml (according to wikipedia)...

Thanks for the pointers!

great information!