Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of saline solution and how to make it, plus Aseptic Technique 101

Can someone tell me the measurements for a SSS in terms of teaspoons/tablespoons to ML?
    Isn't it 1/4 of a teaspoon per 250ML?
    Joelle P.

Has:

5 Lobe Piercings
    Cartilage
    Tragus
    Navel
    Nose
    Rook
    Conch
    Tongue Web

Wants:

Tattoos!

quarter teaspoon salt to a mug of water which is generally 8 fluid ounces or roughly 240mls, I think
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Great articles, I'll be referring people to this from now on instead of trying to lecture them myself lol
    Left Ear- Two lobe, Lower Auricle, Forward Helix
    Right Ear- Two lobe, Tragus, Rook, Double Spiral Auricle, Snug
    Nostril- Left
    Nipples

Retired- Previous Nipple Piercings, Upper Auricle Left and Right
    Tattoos- One on the back of each hip, Inside lower lip

Next Up: Left Daith and Snug, More Ink!

Okay, I've agonized over this, spent the better part of last evening on it, posted, found a chemistry error, deleted the post, and worked it out again. Can someone please explain to me how they're getting the math for the 1/4 tsp/cup ratio that is all over the internet and everything? Because I'm continually getting 1/2 tsp for a little more than 1 cup on my calculations. If someone can point out where I'm going wrong I'd really appreciate it.

1. Tsp=5mL. Multiply by the bulk density (NOT crystal density) of salt to get grams NaCl per tsp. It'll vary slightly, but not super-substantially, based on whether you use fine or coarsely ground salt.
    5mL/tsp*1.154g/mL=5.77g/tsp
    2. Take ratio of isotonic saline for 1 tsp worth of salt to determine volume of water for the solution.
    (9g/1000mL)=(5.77g/x)
    x=641mL=2.71 cups (approximately 2 3/4 cups) for each tsp of salt. A rough approximation would be an underfilled 1/2 tsp per cup, if you'd rather keep the water constant than the salt.

With these figures, a 1/4 tsp of salt in 1 cup of water is a .6% solution which is closer to the .7% solution typically used for nasal rinses. It's not normal saline, which is the concentration recommended for wound care like this. Sea salt, because it contains additives beyond just NaCl, will be denser than table salt, but certainly not this much, so I don't know what's going wrong with my math that I'm not getting the same numbers as everyone else.

I thought something might be going wrong when my new piercing was getting MORE pissed off after its soaks than before. When I changed the ratio, it immediately brightened up. I mean, it's barely tender anymore after only 2 new-ratio soaks. I was totally floored, especially since it seems like such a small change and I'm not typically that sensitive in the first place. Hell, this is the first time I've even had an angry piercing before--including my Claire's-gunned lobes! I'm doing soaks of a 1/2 tsp per ~320mL, which is about a normal-sized mug filled to the brim.

So is my math off? Are people just being really rough with their approximations? Am I somaticizing the improvement? Halp!
    Current
    Right ear lobes 3x (3rd mostly healed, pierced 5/22/11), rook (pierced 7/9/11)
    Left ear lobes 3x (3rd mostly healed, pierced 5/22/11) and helix 2x (both healing: 1 pierced 5/22/11, other pierced 7/9/11)

Want
    Right ear cartilage piercing (outer conch or an industrial)
    Possible VCH

Retired
    Right helix

Quote Originally Posted by chaiale View Post
    So is my math off? Are people just being really rough with their approximations? Am I somaticizing the improvement? Halp!
    I don't think your maths is off, but in practical terms, most of us don't have super-accurate measuring tools easily available. Given the errors inherent in using tsp and cups, rather than using a set of scales, 1/4tsp/cup is "close-enough" for most purposes.

In any event, there are several potential causes of errors:
    1) tsp size - this varies around the world. For example, the old British Standard teaspoon was larger. Heaped or level will also make a considerable difference.
    2) Cup size - again, this varies around the world.

If you want accuracy, find a set of electronic scales that can do 0-500g in 0.1g increments, and do everything by weight.

Brilliant advice, thanks!

I honestly don't think it's the end of the world if someone is a bit off, after all some people will douse their piercings in a ton of chemicals and have no idea what sea salt is anyway. Also it shouldn't have a load of added ingredients, mine doesn't any way. If someone is so worried and wants to get it perfect just buy it ready made.

Then again I rarely soak piercings and if it was after all so dangerous or bad to soak in just water alone what the heck are you supposed to do if you have a bath and have below the neck piercings? lol
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    I honestly don't think it's the end of the world if someone is a bit off, after all some people will douse their piercings in a ton of chemicals and have no idea what sea salt is anyway. Also it shouldn't have a load of added ingredients, mine doesn't any way. If someone is so worried and wants to get it perfect just buy it ready made.

Then again I rarely soak piercings and if it was after all so dangerous or bad to soak in just water alone what the heck are you supposed to do if you have a bath and have below the neck piercings? lol
    I agree - "close enough" seems to be fine for most people - given the number of places on the internet that quote the 1/4tsp/1cup recipe.

As for the bath bit - according to Elayne Angel, you are meant to use a weak bleach solution beforehand to clean the bath, and use clean water afterwards to rinse the piercing. Presumably in the UK, the clean water should be from the drinking water tap in the kitchen, not a cold tap in the bathroom

Yeah I've always rinsed after a bath before piercings and after and my usual bath cleaner has bleach in it anyway, the point I was making is that it has a salt content of zero so is technically terrible for piercings yet mine have always been fine aside from a recent pair that decided to migrate which isn't down to not soaking them in a perfect saline solution.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I gave this a read and was shocked, as i been using Saxa salt mixed with warm water for a couple of days, aswell as a savalon saline solution for my nipple, it was fine and has given me no problems, how ever the skin around my nipple has gotten incredibly dry , i have just been iusing the saline solution for a while now, and a bit of moisturiser around the skin thats dry.