Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of saline solution and how to make it, plus Aseptic Technique 101

I got my ears pierced last week at the suggestion of my mum, the lady who did it (even I know to stay away from Claire's) gave me a solution of benzalkonium chloride to clean around the piercings with... and apparently that's not good. :/

Anyways, I was wondering if you're using a saline solution, do you need to rinse it off afterwards? Also, does it differ whether you're having a soak or just dabbing it on with a cotton bud?

Quote Originally Posted by doki-doki View Post
    I got my ears pierced last week at the suggestion of my mum, the lady who did it (even I know to stay away from Claire's) gave me a solution of benzalkonium chloride to clean around the piercings with... and apparently that's not good. :/

Anyways, I was wondering if you're using a saline solution, do you need to rinse it off afterwards? Also, does it differ whether you're having a soak or just dabbing it on with a cotton bud?
    Eeek, stay away from the chemicals! Good that you know that already
    Yes you should rinse saline off afterwards to prevent the salt drying out the piercing and surrounding area.
    The difference between soaking properly and just dabbing with a cotton bud is HUGE! A good warm soak allows the saline to get right into the piercing, around/under/behind the jewellery where you can't reach, it draws out all the gunk, it softens the crusties so you can gently wipe everything away.
    Dabbing with a cotton bud pretty much just moves dirt around and drags on the piercing/jewellery/crusties. It doesn't get "into the cracks" if you like.

I was sceptical at first but having tried both methods, SSS all the way!
    A chamomile teabag is a wonderful hot compress for an angry piercing as well
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    The difference between soaking properly and just dabbing with a cotton bud is HUGE! A good warm soak allows the saline to get right into the piercing, around/under/behind the jewellery where you can't reach, it draws out all the gunk, it softens the crusties so you can gently wipe everything away.
    Dabbing with a cotton bud pretty much just moves dirt around and drags on the piercing/jewellery/crusties. It doesn't get "into the cracks" if you like.
    Actually, I was just wondering if you needed to rinse off after a saline dab, but that was really informative too.

Sooo... daily saline soak then? Inconvenient, but it is my health we're talking here...
    Just have to suck it up and get on with it. =]

This is great, I was worried I was using the wrong mix but this helped clear up my question on that!

great post

Totally saving this page~
    Great Post!
    Have; {Left Ear} 1 Lobe @ 12mm, 1 Lobe @ 1.2mm, 1 Helix @ 1.6mm {Right Ear} 1 Lobe @ 12mm, 1 Lobe @ 1.2mm Tragus @ 1.2mm {Body} Standard Navel @ 1.6mm.
    Want; Nipples.

there should be an infection fighting sticky

"pour the water through a filter to remove heavy metals such as chlorine"
    since when was chlorine a metal? I was sure it was a halogen gas.

aside from my chemistry geekiness annoying me at that, I found this an incredibly helpful post
    Bits of me that have been stabbed
    8mm lobes
    2nd lobes
    left rook
    right helix & tragus
    right conch
    paired nostrils
    philtrum
    nape MD
    nipples

Tumblr
    /Facebook/Twitter

This is so useful thankyou!
    Joelle P.

Has:

5 Lobe Piercings
    Cartilage
    Tragus
    Navel
    Nose
    Rook
    Conch
    Tongue Web

Wants:

Tattoos!

Something I did need to know. Many thanks.