Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of saline solution and how to make it, plus Aseptic Technique 101

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    I have sensitive sense of taste and it wasn't great but some people complain its *too* horrible for them to do (i think they're just trying to get out of cleaning tbh :P). Some people also find that bad breath and the white furry stuff you get on your tongue is combated best with some alcohol-free mouthwash twice a day but unless that becomes and issue for you I don't think theres any reason to bother.

After all dentists don't recommend mouthwash for regular oral aftercare anyway!
    The white furry stuff is oral thrush. If you get that you really should be buying some Chlorhexidine mouthwash pronto!

Gloving videos make me sigh and wish I could do it that well. I'm so cack handed trying to get them on and remain sterile still. I double glove for necropsy to combat the smell of dead animal (vet student)
    I always watch my piercer like a hawk for any hygiene slips and made him change his gloves last time because I saw him touch stuff with them.
    Current - lobes (lx2, rx2), rook, labret
    Future -
    forward helix,
    http://neverendingparade.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HannahKate View Post
    Gloving videos make me sigh and wish I could do it that well. I'm so cack handed trying to get them on and remain sterile still. I double glove for necropsy to combat the smell of dead animal (vet student)
    I always watch my piercer like a hawk for any hygiene slips and made him change his gloves last time because I saw him touch stuff with them.
    Gloving is just practice. I used to suck at it, now I barely have to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Alish003 View Post
    The white furry stuff is oral thrush. If you get that you really should be buying some Chlorhexidine mouthwash pronto!
    Strange, everyone I know who has had their tongue pierced gets that within a few days and it clears up by itself once the swelling has gone down and the piercing settles... where as I know thrush usually lingers around for quite a bit till treated or is that wrong :S?
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Depends on the infection. It's one of those lovely microorganisms (like herpes simplex A, clostridium difficile and methacylin resistant stapholococcus aureus) that lurks in your body pretty much all the time and only gets a foot-hold when something else goes wrong and gives it a chance. Opportunistic infections, to give them their proper name. Personally I would take no chances with any type of infection in any part of the head, because they spread to the brain with remarkable ease. Particularly dental infections.

Bleh very true, I was always told it was just an inbalance in the bacteria rather than an infection and it was made worse by smokers introducing more things into the mouth to upset the balance. Will be sure to advice mouthwash a bit more in the future :P!

I really found this thread helpful. ive been using h2ocean that i bought from the shop but ive heard using warm SSS is better and now i can properly make it myself. thank you! (:
    the hXc hermys (:
    http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=97435&dateline=129036  2190
    Current
    monroe (left), 2g earlobes, industrial (right)

<3Wanted<3
    monroe/angel bites(right), ear weave (left), toungue, corset mocrodermals, second earlobe piercing

awesome post. alot of useful info

Hi everyone, just found this forum.

I got snakebites about three months ago, and they were healing great until about a month ago, when I was drinking and fell asleep forgetting to clean them.

I think its slightly inflected, theres no pain or swelling, just a small fleshy thing that pokes out around the hole. Ill post a pic of it when I can make a thread.

Anyway, on to sea salt soaks:
    How do I soak a lip ring? Its kinda awkward to hold my mouth up to a cup for 5-10 min. Do I just hold the SSS in my mouth for that period of time?

Awkward is as awkward does - no one ever said having a piercing was easy

Some people find it easier to lean into the cup (So have it resting on a table) rather than holding the cup up to your piercing or to use a wine glass as the long stem makes it easier to sit with!

Holding the stuff in your mouth won't be great because after a few minutes you'll want to spit it out because it will make your mouth ache and also you'll probably end up swallowing some of it which isn't terribly useful for your piercing. Having it in a cup / container means that it stays warmer longer too which is one of the things that makes it so useful for your piercing!

Also when you make a thread you will probably not have enough posts to link us to a picture but if you post the link without the http://www. bit attached you will be able to post it and we will be able to follow it to see your picture!