Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of saline solution and how to make it, plus Aseptic Technique 101

Only thing i could find is pure Sodium Chloride in a drugstore, would that work?? The rock salt that was in the supermarket had additives so it wasn't any good...

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    As has been said really what you have is just SSS in a can. You would save yourself money boiling up a load of SSS and putting it the fridge and heating up a shot glass full in the microwave or what not :P
    I have been doing regular SSS, but this SSS in a can has just the right salinity that is needed. I figured it'd be easier than having to measure stuff myself, haha!

I basically only use the Wound Wash whenever I don't have time for a SSS.
    Current: 20g Lobes, 18g Traguses, 14g Septum, 12g Standard Navel, 14g VCH, 14g Tongue.
    Soon to come: Rooks, conches, helixes, 1 more lobe piercing in each lobe.
    Contemplating: Vertical labret, nipples.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigmat View Post
    Only thing i could find is pure Sodium Chloride in a drugstore, would that work?? The rock salt that was in the supermarket had additives so it wasn't any good...
    Umm honestly not sure, I am guessing so! Maybe Alish or Kuku can tell you more than I
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Salt is sodium chloride. So...yeah, perfect. Although it seems odd it was in a drug store and not in a normal supermarket!

Aye very odd! Tis used in cooking a lot here!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks for clearing that up! I had my first saline soak today and lemme tell you, I felt much better afterwards.

One question, tho. I'm using this for my tongue piercing, along with alcohol-free mouthwash. I'm not sure of the frequency of use of each. Should I use the mouthwash after I eat anything and do the saline washes twice a day, or the other way around? Thanks!

There is so much contradictory information on the subject! Some places say that you should use mouth-wash after everything you eat, drink or smoke (other than water) and keep the salt water rinses to a few times a day, while other places say that using mouth wash more than twice a day can make things worse, and advice you to use saline solution after everything you eat, and leave the mouthwash for the mornings and nights.

Which one is correct?? When I was using mouthwash only after anything, my tongue was almost constantly sore, but now that I'm alternating some salt rinses when I eat something light/smoke (trying to do it not very often) it feels much better

Well really I'd say use one or the other, you don't really need both. The Salt soak is technically better for your piercing but its whether you can stand rinsing your mouth with it so often!

Ideally you need to use it after eating and smoking. As for after drinking it really depends what you are drinking - you should be avoiding alcohol anyway and most juices should be fine so really just rinse after anything very sugary is my advice in that respect!

Mouthwash, as long as it is alcohol free is ok to substitute for the warm salt but it doesn't have any of the soothing and happy piercing promoting benefits - however for people that cannot stand the taste of salty water its better than just leaving your piercing to is own devices in my opinion!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Thanks for the answer! Tho I can't really see how someone wouldn't stand the taste of salty water? Unless I'm doing it wrong, it barely has a salty taste (using the proportions indicated here)

I have sensitive sense of taste and it wasn't great but some people complain its *too* horrible for them to do (i think they're just trying to get out of cleaning tbh :P). Some people also find that bad breath and the white furry stuff you get on your tongue is combated best with some alcohol-free mouthwash twice a day but unless that becomes and issue for you I don't think theres any reason to bother.

After all dentists don't recommend mouthwash for regular oral aftercare anyway!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.