Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: The importance of saline solution and how to make it, plus Aseptic Technique 101

Hi hazel. I've had my tragus pierced for just over 4 weeks and it was perfect for first 3.5 weeks. I sss it twice a day, had it checked with the piercer at 3 weeks and they said it was healing v well but I've been ill this week and tragus has swelled loads. Got really panicky today so went Dr's who's given me antibiotics. She said I didn't need to remove it yet and to continental with sss. Just wondering if you have any advice. I really don't want to remove it .... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kscott82 View Post
    Hi hazel. I've had my tragus pierced for just over 4 weeks and it was perfect for first 3.5 weeks. I sss it twice a day, had it checked with the piercer at 3 weeks and they said it was healing v well but I've been ill this week and tragus has swelled loads. Got really panicky today so went Dr's who's given me antibiotics. She said I didn't need to remove it yet and to continental with sss. Just wondering if you have any advice. I really don't want to remove it .... thanks
    Listen to your doctor, I'm not a medical professional. Take the meds.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Senior Member AliceinWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kscott82 View Post
    Think of it this way:

Your immune system has been sent out to heal a hole in your body (your tragus piercing) as well as "fight" a foreign object within that hole (your piercing jewellery)... when I say "fight" I mean that the body interprets the "hole" as something that needs to heal and therefore, close up, but the jewellery is preventing that. It takes a while for the body to settle on "okay this hole isn't closing, so it's just going to heal as a hole".

On top of that, your immune system has also been sent out to fight the infection in your body (your virus/flu/whatever is making you feel ill). This means that your immune system quite literally has it's hands full at the moment, which in turn, can make your body feel more ill. Swelling is the body's way of "fighting" the wound (in this case, the piercing) & protecting the body, and since it is probably under a little bit of strain already due to you being ill, your tragus may swell more than usual (but this is still normal).

Anyway, take your antibiotics like your doc said. You'll be fine
    ~~Piercings~~
    Currently none.

~~Tattoos~~
    Koi fish half sleeve on left arm and hand.

I'm going to close this thread as it's original purpose (information) has been lost a lot along the way. Also saline soaks etc are fast falling out of favour as a standard of aftercare for piercings.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<