Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The importance of saline solution and how to make it, plus Aseptic Technique 101

Has anyone tried using contact lens solution- I bought some today, it's an 'isotonic buffered, aqueous saline solution containing sodium chloride 0.75% EDTA 0.01% PHMB 0.0002%'
    I know the ideal amount in 0.9% and Boots do a version with exactly that ratio but this one was in my local Sainsbury's and I thought I'd give it a go with a view to buying the one from Boots when I can get to a Boots. Not too sure what the other chemicals are but they are in very small concentration and if they can go in your eye they can't be that bad!
    I was just googling around and realised that if saline solution has the words 'contact lens' on it, it seems to be cheaper haha!

Haven't tried it except for my lenses...

And I actually have almost never soaked or did anything with my piercings other than letting them heal by themselves.

However, I do not think that it is wise to use lens solution for your piercings :/ Just make your own saline solution with the right kind of salt and warm water, doesn't have to be expensive
    |Have|10mm lobe (R)|Tragus (L)|Industrial (L)|Nostril (R)| Septum | Labret | Tongue | Smiley | Microdermal upper cheek | Microdermal neck | Microdermal handweb (R) | VCH | Foot tattoo (L) | Wrist tattoo (L) | Leg tattoo (R) | Belly tattoo (R)

|Retired||MD x1| | Navelpiercing | Nipple piercing (L&R)

|Want|More tattoos!|Dimple piercings | more piercings

Sea salt is dirt cheap, you can get it in any supermarket.

Contact lens solution often has those other chemicals in - which you don't soak your eyes in do you - and you don't know what they'll do in your bloodstream. Your eye isn't an open wound, a new piercing is.
    Pure saline ONLY.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by sewpierced View Post
    Has anyone tried using contact lens solution- I bought some today, it's an 'isotonic buffered, aqueous saline solution containing sodium chloride 0.75% EDTA 0.01% PHMB 0.0002%'
    I know the ideal amount in 0.9% and Boots do a version with exactly that ratio but this one was in my local Sainsbury's and I thought I'd give it a go with a view to buying the one from Boots when I can get to a Boots. Not too sure what the other chemicals are but they are in very small concentration and if they can go in your eye they can't be that bad!
    I was just googling around and realised that if saline solution has the words 'contact lens' on it, it seems to be cheaper haha!
    You eye isn't an open wound though and is totally different to your skin. Just buy some sea salt or rinse your piercings in the shower, that's free!!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Very true but interestingly enough if you look up the other two chemicals on wikipedia, they are both used in medicinal applications - EDTA sometimes is used intravenously and PHMB is used in wound dressing etc suggesting that the presence of these two probably won't hurt. Personally I found that it was very hard to get the exact amount of salt right in my cup of hot water (leading to me sometimes drying out the skin too much) and also that cup had been sitting around on a shelf gathering dust after having previously collected dishwasher salt residue so it was not really an ideal scenario, now my most recent piercings are 3 months old I find a quick rinse in the shower plus a dab of the saline solution works quite well- since my last post I saw a massive improvement in my rook just from the contact lens solution. I'm not suggesting this would work for everyone and probably not ideal for a new piercing as it is not a soak but could be handy if you need to travel somewhere for a couple of days/stay at a mates where it is not so easy to make up some SSS. The fine nozzle of the bottle makes it quite good to direct on to a cotton bud, again not if you need to soak but quite handy for clearing crusties from lobe piercings for example.

Very true but interestingly enough if you look up the other two chemicals on wikipedia, they are both used in medicinal applications - EDTA sometimes is used intravenously and PHMB is used in wound dressing etc suggesting that the presence of these two probably won't hurt. Personally I found that it was very hard to get the exact amount of salt right in my cup of hot water (leading to me sometimes drying out the skin too much) and also that cup had been sitting around on a shelf gathering dust after having previously collected dishwasher salt residue so it was not really an ideal scenario, now my most recent piercings are 3 months old I find a quick rinse in the shower plus a dab of the saline solution works quite well- since my last post I saw a massive improvement in my rook just from the contact lens solution. I'm not suggesting this would work for everyone and probably not ideal for a new piercing as it is not a soak but could be handy if you need to travel somewhere for a couple of days/stay at a mates where it is not so easy to make up some SSS. The fine nozzle of the bottle makes it quite good to direct on to a cotton bud, again not if you need to soak but quite handy for clearing crusties from lobe piercings for example.
    Use it then, it's your body. I can't be bothered with saline tbh, shower has done fine for me and 30+ piercings.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    I can't be bothered with saline tbh, shower has done fine for me and 30+ piercings.
    Cool that's good to know as sometimes I feel guilty if I only use water, silly I know!

Cool that's good to know as sometimes I feel guilty if I only use water, silly I know!
    Nah you shouldn't, if saline did wonderful things to my piercings I'd use it frequently but it doesn't so I don't

i love using sss on fresh piercings! feels so nice (:

This is awesome, thank you!! I will be making my own solution tonight