Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stretching ears.. the point of no return.. will my 6mm shrink back if ...............

Question Stretching ears.. the point of no return.. will my 6mm shrink back if ...............

at the moment i have 4mm in my ears. [6g?]
    i want to go to 6mm. [2g].
    All over the internet people say 2g is the point of no return, but some say its 00g, whatever. I have not seen anything about 4g being the point of no return. 4g is 5mm and 2g is6mm so its barely a difference. I know for sure i definatley wont want stretchers when im older but i really want them now, [dont question my reasons].
    So if 4g will shrink to normal, why cant 2g, when it is a tiny difference. Im not fussed if it shrinks to a bit above normal, just so long as i can wear a standard peircing again.

I know it also depends on how fast you stretch/how long you keep them for. heres how i have stretched so far.. [i kinda cheated like i have experienced NO pain, at all.. after a shower when my 3mm wouldn't go all the way in, mind you i did NOT push it any further than it wouldnt easily slide in.. i left it in halfway and within 24 hours it sunk in by itself, i didnt even feel it, and with my 4mm, i had it in halfway for about 12-14hours, and when i had a bath it was very easy to push in the rest of the way.]

started at 1.5 /
    5dayslater> 2mm /
    12 days later> 3mm /
    18dayslater>4mm /

I understand you are meant to wait a month, but i felt that my ears were ready. I have NOT experienced any pain, and i felt they were ready when i could easily push my tapers in and out without any discomfort.

yeah. I left my tapers in throughout the whole process. I know it can cause uneven thinning, but i stuck the back of the taper to my head behind my ear, so it wouldnt be on an angle and flap around.. if you know what i mean. they are steel tapers.

Sooo as far as i can tell my lobes are in healthy condition, so i shouldnt have any problems going to 6mm and downsizing??

+when i had my 3mm in, one night it managed to come out and i forgot about it for about 2 hours. when i noticed i had nothing in my ear, i went and pulled my earlobe to see if the hole was still see through. it wasnt. i went to put my taper back in, it was a little harder it felt like the back of my hole had been covered over but it slid through comfortably in the end. SO if 2 hours does that, my ears elasticity is right for 6mm ?

IM just undecided! please help. sorry for the excessive amount of words.

There aren't any guarantees. All stretching should be thought of as at least semi-permanent IMO. I've seen people who have stretched to 5mm and found their ears didn't shrink any smaller than 3-4mm when they took them out. On the other hand, there are some people who find they can stretch to 16mm or larger and have them shrink down to a normal size.

On a side note, I'd be surprised if your ears really are in a healthy condition, and you're pretty lucky if they are!

rjs

Yeah, if you want them to eventually shrink back down you've gone about stretching them in the worst possible way; you've gone far, far too fast and I agree with insideout that in the unlikely event that your ears really are healthy, you're extremely lucky.

Well, i dont understand how they are unhealthy? of course the first day after putting the taper in its a little tender but i stretched to 4mm4 days ago and i can touch my earlobe and everything and i feel no pain. It they AREnt healthy, how would i tell? as far as i see it, they couldnt be better not red or anything
    Last edited by deadrabbits; 10-06-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Senior Member quotidianaubergine's Avatar

I had mine at 2g and they shrunk back to nothing. It depends on several things, such as how sensibly you stretched them, and how long they have been stretched for. Don't take anything as a guarantee, and don't streth further unless you accept the possibility that they may not ever shrink fully.
    currently: 1st lobes, 2nd lobes, nostril

retired: 1.6mm lobes, 6mm lobes, snug, 2 x helix, septum, 2 x nostril, 5mm lobes, labret, 8mm lobes, left tragus, right conch, right double forward helix

It varies from person to person, and the only way you'll know for sure is to take them out when you're at a stage where you're worried they won't go back, and see what happens. I was at 7mm and now I'm back to 1.6mm. So now I know I'm good to go to my goal of 10, but that's just me. :/
    If you want to improve your chances of them going back to the way they were, wait around 6 weeks between stretches... but the more the better. See cause this reduces any scar tissue that forms and gives your ears more flexibility to stretch, or shrink as the case may be.

Though uhh... the 5 days later part really worries me because even when I was stretching at 2 or 3 weeks I won't have even wanted to change the jewellery at all at that point.. O_o
    But to answer your question on ear health (lol) Look for any inconsistencies in the hole, like random lips of skin or wrinkling
    Everyone else is out making something of themselves
    ... and I'm just sitting here eating Maoam.

If they were tender after stretching then no, your lobes were not ready to be stretched.
    these make me cool rite guys??

2 central labrets, philtrum, 2 temple microdermals, 14mm lobes, 4mm upper lobe (right)

retired: 2 temple surface piercings

Essentially by stretching you are encouraging a tunnel of scar tissue to become bigger than it made itself.

By stretching too fast you break, distort and damage the fistula creating excess scar tissue which is tough, non-stretchy and makes the lobe holes appear distorted.

Excess scar tissue also makes it much more likely your lobes will never shrink back because there is more thick, non-elastic tissue in the way.

If you continue to stretch at this rate you risk forcing the fistula out of the back of your ear - what is known as a blow out. This creates a sometimes permanent bulbous ring of tissue around the back of your ear that usually looks a bright red or purpley colour. Most people who do not treat these successfully have to have them surgically removed.

Keeping tapers in your piercing increases the risk of your tearing your ear, can create excess scar tissue from knocks / pulls / etc as well as thinning your lobes.

Plus if your ears cannot stay open for 2 hours they are definitely not healed! The fistula should be stable enough to keep your piercing hole open for a reasonable amount of time as most people with large lobes sleep without plugs in to encourage thickening!

So really please take the professional advice offered here on this thread and downsize right back to the beginning leave your ears 6 weeks and try again properly so you don't ruin your ears anymore!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

reply to the 5 day change, the first stretch seemed to do nothing to me. 2mm went right in with NO fuss .
    & tender maybe not TENDER but idk, it didnt hurt but if i touched it it was tender, but that was straight after doing it!!
    AND MY EARS ARE HEALLLLLLLTHY like if id show you them youd say the same thing. IM not downsizing, its not neccesary, not needed, my ears are FINE

Believe what you will but you asked for our advice as to whether you can return from 6mm and that was our answer: its less likely if you continue to treat your ears in such a damaging way.

We're not trying to pick on you, just help you have a happy healthy piercing!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast