Page 1 of 224 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mental Health Thread

Default The Mental Health Thread

Please be aware that this thread may contain discussion on topics which could contain triggers for some people. This should be somewhere that members can share, but try to tread carefully and note that it subject to the same forum rules as any other thread - ridicule, flaming and excessive swearing will not be tolerated. - .Only.Streetlights.

I haven't seen another thread on here like this, so I thought I'd start one off.

The soul purpose of this is to discuss anything mental health related, whether it be from eating disorders, to self harm, depression, ANYTHING!

I thought of this mainly as I've been through a tumult of stuff, and thought well, people on here are lovely, and where else is better to just talk about different aspects of mental health.

Mental health is an annoyingly tabooed subject, so, here this thread is, to give support, encouragement, and help to other members, also to discuss what you've been through with no prejudice to worry about, cus hey! We're all different people but all really accepting I've found

So, here we are.

I've had both bulimia and anorexia. Borderline personality disorder is till hanging over my head, as is an annoyingly inconvenient social anxiety disorder. I hate the term disorder, it's a right bugbear of mine!

ANYWAY. Come on guys, lets rid the world of this stigma attached to mental health and get talking!
    Last edited by .Only.Streetlights.; 10-05-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Facebook/Tumblr/AwfulModifcationsBlog

You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd.

1/2" lobes, 15 other holes, 2 hours of tattoo work.

Senior Member .Only.Streetlights.'s Avatar

I think this thread is a grand idea, but with your permission Emily I'd like to edit your post and add a disclaimer about the possibility of it containing 'triggers' for some people?
    Queen C aka Cazaclysmic

I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. -Stephen Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by .Only.Streetlights. View Post
    I think this thread is a grand idea, but with your permission Emily I'd like to edit your post and add a disclaimer about the possibility of it containing 'triggers' for some people?
    Go for it I had thought about that, and then forgot to add it, thanks Caz!

Facebook/Tumblr/AwfulModifcationsBlog

You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd.

1/2" lobes, 15 other holes, 2 hours of tattoo work.

i think this is a nice idea for people that are open about there problems, but i think a lot of people keep things like this to themselves for a reason, i dont really want my issues for anyone to see on the internet.

nice idea for support though

Pierced
    |Bridge|Septum|Monroe|Tounge|
    |Smiley|Inverse Navel|Left Lobe|
    |Left And Right Lobes 16mm|

I think that virtually everyone could say they have traits of one psychological disorder or another. After all, we're a generation that's prone to over analysing ourselves and trying to find something to blame, some reason for our mistakes.

I admit that I have encountered people with genuine mental 'disorders', and people who are quite capable of hurting themselves and others because of this. These people deserve a correct diagnosis and the help they require to get through it... But these days I'm very sceptical of some of the more minor disorders. I think that once upon a time, people were just 'a little bit different' or 'a bit eccentric' and everyone just got on with it. Now that some smart-arse has put a name to every possible kind of person, it's too easy to become the martyr.

For example: http://www.4degreez.com/misc/persona...sorder_test.mv A rather amusing (and probably wildly inaccurate) personality disorder test I've found. Answering this faithfully, I score 'very highly' for borderline, histrionic, obsessive-compulsive and narcissistic personality disorder. I score 'moderately' for every other disorder as well... Now I'm no angel, but come on! You might as well lock me up now...

EDIT: I know this all comes across as harsh. But what I'm really trying to say is that I think everyone should chill out about the whole concept of mental disorders. People aren't really as bad as you think they are

I did that test a long time ago and got the same results haha

I have a similar opinion to you - I know of a few people who really do suffer, but my opinion is that diagnoses are too readily dished out these days. Mental illness is almost cool, and a good way of defining ourselves.

Saying that, if this thread can do some good for some BJS folk in need then I'm all for trying it Especially if we have some members who share their lives with someone who suffers from mental illness.
    Last edited by .Only.Streetlights.; 10-05-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Queen C aka Cazaclysmic

I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. -Stephen Roberts

Oh, totally. I wasn't trying to have a dig, more of a back-handed compliment in my own little way.

Funnily enough, someone actually told me that they thought I was BPD a few months ago. So maybe there is more to it

Well you're obviously completely round the bend
    Queen C aka Cazaclysmic

Took that test a second ago..

Disorder | Rating
    Paranoid: Very High
    Schizoid: Moderate
    Schizotypal: Very High
    Antisocial: Moderate
    Borderline: Very High
    Histrionic: Very High
    Narcissistic: High
    Avoidant: Very High
    Dependent: Very High
    Obsessive-Compulsive: High
    Hi, 'm Velts. Fear not, I'll only bite on mutual consent & in a very specific setting.
    Stretched, poked, scalpelled, hooked and pierced.

Founding member of Flying Pigs Suspension

42mm+ lobes
    10mm center labret
    10mm nasal septum
    2.4mm Frenum
    1.2mm double nostrils
    1.2mm vertical nip-nips
    Quite a few tattoos, mostly blackwork. 8 suspensions. (will write up on the additional 5 some time soon)A few retired, many to come.

Welcome to the club