Page 9 of 224 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mental Health Thread

I'm sorry you were not having a good night alex.
    I can empathize for the lack of help you are getting from mental health professionals. You are very right in your reasoning and it is unfortunate that Borderline Personality Disorder is quite possibly one of the worst things you could ever have been given a concrete diagnosis of. It really does put a big red X-mark on your file and scares off anyone from helping. However, it isn't that they do not want to help, it really is that they can not. Reaching the final year of my psychology degree I have been told over and over by several professors how BPDs are impossible to help in just about any capacity, especially if DBT has consistently proved itself to be unsuccesful. I've been told that to give a false diagnosis of bi-polar affective disorder (type 1) in order to just maintain the person's access to the system is preferable. In fact, I think it was just last week that one of my most esteemed professors told my class that we will likely ever take on only two BPDs in our entire career: the first because we think we can cure them, the second because we'll think that we've somehow learnt from our first undoubtable failure. I myself have seen this stigmatization perpetuated among future helping professionals and I can only imagine how hard it is for someone to deal with the diagnosis, even just having had the experiences of "being on the other side", if you will. If you ever feel like PMing someone who knows whats going on for you, or if you ever think it would be useful, you know where the little button is. I'm always willing to listen to someone who needs to talk.
    Last edited by xBenji; 11-27-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Benji
    Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.

Thanks, Leah. I know it's not because they won't, it's because they can't. It's just that the psych I saw in hospital did not listen to me at all. He took me off a high dose of prozac straight away when he should have slowly lowered the dose. He didn't listen to me or my family when we explained that prozac does not "fix" me but it makes things slightly easier to deal with. With prozac, it takes slightly bigger things to really set me off. Without prozac, it takes nothing. Literally anything can set me off BIG style. But that didn't matter to him. Is that normal? Although I can't do DBT because it does not work, taking me off meds although they help somewhat is normal? Okay? I don't understand that... maybe there is a specific reason, I don't know. He called me a silly little girl and shouted at me and told me to stop acting up and playing games. I don't even know how I was acting up or what games I was playing.
    And there were 2 other girls with BPD in the hospital with me. They had the same diagnosis I did (depression & BPD). After a bit of a heart to heart with them, the 3 of us came to the conclusion that I had the most severe case out of us. Yet I was on nothing and they were on anti-depressants and mood stabilisers. They had a different psych to me.
    I just really don't get it... with everything we have in this world today, I don't get how nothing can be done for people with this. It's like an effing death sentence.
    32mm lobe (down from 50mm) : 10mm lobe : 8mm conch punch : 1.2mm Philtrum (down from 2mm) : 12mm oval labret (down from 18mm) : tongue split : scarification x2 : lots of ink :

There are studies that demonstrate that Fluvoxamine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (as is Fluoxetine- ie Prozac), can have a positive effect by lessening rapid mood shifts in female BPD patients. Unfortunately, the results of other studies involving SSRIs have often been discredited because of a high placebo affect. It is possible that the doctor you were dealing with had this in mind and did not want to provide you with a potentially lethal psychopharmaceutical if you were hospitalized due to a suicide attempt. Unforunately, in the eyes of the person treating you, you were probably seen as coniving and untrustworthy. A suggestion I could make it to try to find a resource in order to talk to someone new and maybe present a Fluvoxamine peer-reviewed academic journal article to them. If you'd like I can e-mail you an artice from the databases I have access to through the University subscription. Let me know.
    Benji
    Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.

I had a total brain fart today, have no idea what was it. I was in my chemistry class and suddenly I started feeling very drowsy and generally bad, and I was supposed to write stuff down, but I just couldn't. My brain just froze, the letters were all jumbled up and I couldn't remember how to continue. If I tried, I'd doodle a completely wrong letter. Lasted a minute or two until I put myself together, but I freaked out because it was a rather unpleasant and unknown feeling :S
    I was feeling completely fine after a few minutes so I'm not too concerned, but still...

26mm both lobes, 6mm second lobes, 6mm left inner conch, 8mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm nipples, 1.2mm nostril
    18x18cm mandala scarification on thigh

tumblr

I've had a bit of a shock to my system today.

A while back I was diagnosed with ADHD, and not just affecting my concentration at uni or anything like that, this has been screwing me over in every aspect of my life for all of my life. The psychologist who diagnosed me said my score was so high he was surprised I hadn't gone loco by now (not in those exact words but something to that extent).

But to the story. I've just started on concerta, and it was the most amazing thing that's happened to me in a long time. For the day I have felt like a normal person. I could listen and concentrate on what the lecturers were saying, but I wasn't a complete zombie like most people think the drugs do to people. This was until this evening when it's due to run out.

I am feeling absolute pants. It's not the come down, It's just me back to normal. I can't believe I coped like this. It's hard to explain but I just don't feel normal. I wish I could show someone, I have nobody to speak to at uni, it's hard to talk about, and my mum is worried about me being on medication so I don't wanna talk to her too much.

Tis strange. I would love to explain to someone but I'm scared of people's opinions on whether it's real or whether medicating is the right way to go. Even when they ask stuff like "Oh why didn't you go to your lectures last week?" I don't tell them in much more than a vague "Just stuff going on" I wish I could :(
    25mm Lobe x2, 10mm Helix, 8mm Septum, 8mm Conch, 4mm Conch
    4mm Tragus, 3.2mm Tragus, 2.4mm Scaffold, 2.4mm Lip x5, 2.4mm Vertical Nipple, 2mm Cheeks
    1.6mm Nostrils, Helix, Daith, Bridge, Navel, Rook, Snug

I'm on concerta as well Carlu, but I only use it a couple-a few times a week so I never really was able to get dependent on it..though I notice how much my concentration and ability to do work really lessens when I'm not on it.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

i just took that test ... here are my results ... i think it liessssssssssss :P
    Disorder Rating Information
    Paranoid: Very High
    Schizoid: Moderate
    Schizotypal: High
    Antisocial: Low
    Borderline: Very High
    Histrionic: Low
    Narcissistic: Moderate
    Avoidant: Very High
    Dependent: High
    Obsessive-Compulsive: High

Don't really want to go into it, but I've recently been put on a higher dosage of medication and now I'm suffering bad from broken sleep several times a night and weird dreams as well as lower moods and anxiety.

Just feeling pretty crap in general.
    Mushed
    has; Lobes,Seconds,Septum
    wants; Rook, Cartilage,MD's,Ink
    retired;Scaffold,Navel. maybe; Nape,Tongue. Next; Rook

I'm starting to worry that i'm going to need anti-anxiety meds when I go to uni, considering how much i'm stressing already.Should hopefully see my gp anyways, since my stomachs constantly tied up in knots, my digestions crap and i'm sure most of it's down to worry :/
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

This might not be the right place to ask, but does anyone know what painkillers/doses it's ok to take while on citalopram? Just got prescribed it today (joy) but I get quite a lot of headaches and migraines and I've only just seen the bit of the leaflet that says "take care with the following medicines" which includes aspirin, ibuprofen and other NSAID's - I usually take a combination of paracetamol and either aspirin or ibuprofen, OR a medium strength cocodamol when my head goes. Usually works if I take it quickly enough and hide in a dark quiet place.
    I find paracetamol on its own does nothing.

Obviously I'll ask a pharmacist when I get a chance but it's a bit late in the day and I thought someone here might know? Thanks in advance.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue