Page 96 of 224 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mental Health Thread

I just posted this in the 'Tell me what you're thinking' thread:

My life has totally turned itself around in the past couple of months, I feel so happy lately. Someone told me in July that 2012 was a special year, things would change and I'd begin to see that what mattered most were people. As if by magic those things have started to happen, and I feel more positive now than I have done for a long time.
    So, since I'm feeling great today I think I'll elaborate. I tend to be a miserable person by nature and have suffered from depression for about 5 years. It isn't 100% of the time, and I generally plod along on life without too much drama, but there have been 3 periods on the past 5 years where I've really went downhill. The last time this happened was earlier this year when I just stopped eating and really caring about things. I can't really single out particular reasons for these bad periods, as I said I'm generally quite a miserable and sombre person.

This is me earlier this year when I didn't eat. At the time I thought I looked fine, but now I can see just how bad I did look:

This is me today:

Obviously perfectly fine now

I'm not even totally sure why I'm telling this story tbh. I guess during those bad times my problems seemed so big that I thought I couldn't possibly begin to tackle them, sort of like trying to knock down a mountain with a toffee hammer. But all it took was a tiny bit of progress and positive thinking to allow me to attempt to tackle things and make an impact on that mountain.

Oh yeah haha, I knew I'd forgotten something. The beginning of the journey was me getting my piercings, as I'd thought about them for a long time but always put it off for one reason or another. One day I simply decided to go and have a labret piercing, and that particular day I had not given it any thought at all, it just popped into mind and I did it. Doing this for myself inspired me to want to change other parts of my life, it was like the beginning of the real me.

really lovely idea. I have mental health problems, ED/BPD. Nice to see people helping! awh

Does anyone have experience with anxiety? I think I've been experiencing some anxiety-type feelings recently and it's starting to get to me a bit.

It started a couple of weeks ago at work, I was just sitting at my computer doing some work that I do nearly every day and suddenly I started to ask myself questions out of nowhere, starting to question how I felt about certain things and even how I feel about my fiancÚ. It made me feel really upset and like I just wanted to start crying and hyperventilating.

I began to take Kalms day tablets which have St John's Wort in them which seemed to help a bit and the intrusive thoughts and questions went away and I felt normal again. I wasn't worrying about everything and was just going on with my daily life as usual.

When I went to the shop the other day to get lunch I suddenly felt light headed and like I might need to sit down but managed to talk to myself in my head and stay calm until I stood outside the shop and had something to drink before heading back to work.

It got really bad yesterday before I was due to leave work, I was shaking and wanted to burst in to tears but managed to hold on until I got home before crying and trying to breathe it out. It sounds weird but it almost felt like my brain wanted to vomit.
    I spoke to my fiancÚ when he got home and told him everything I'd been feeling and he was as understanding as he could be and said he appreciated that I felt I could talk to him about it and that we'd try and work through things together. He knows I've not been feeling myself lately, when it first started happening I mentioned how I felt detached from everything.
    He suggested that perhaps the worry about moving up in to a new job role (which I am in the process of doing at work) may have triggered it but I was feeling fine about it all, excited even.

It's the intrusive thoughts I'm hating the most, I can be distracted for a while and then suddenly my brain says "what were we worrying about? oh yeah, that" and I start asking myself questions which spiral in to me feeling like I'm losing control and having a panic attack.
    I've been feeling a bit better today and have avoided taking the kalms tablet and having any caffeine. Starting to feel tired though as I've just had lunch which is when I seem to feel worse.

Sorry if this is a bit long! Just wanted to get it all down and see if anyone had any ideas, thoughts or experiences?
    Saz
    Piercings:

2 sets of lobes at 1.2 and 1 set of 2.4mm on both ears

right ear: + 1 Helix at 1.2mm, Conch

left ear: + 2x Helix and Daith

nose

Planned: Some more ear stuff and hopefully a microdermal or two once I know where I want to put them!

Spikey is my BJS Wife

Don't be dumb, avoid the gun!

I've had similar Saz but sporadically and not on that level, my mum however was like this for a while, she was put on a low dose of citalopram which has really helped her.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I've definitely experienced very similar anxiety, especially in the past year or so it seems. It starts with one unpleasant thought and then tends to branch out and apply to literally every aspect of my life. It can be very overwhelming, sometimes to the point of a panic/anxiety attack.
    Things that have worked for me is letting time pass until I feel normal again, distracting myself with TV, reading, or the internet, or simply talking through all my worries with someone understanding,
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

I'm getting that a lot lately.
    I've been feeling unwell for about six months and doctors insist it's anxiety. I don't think that's all it is but I know anxiety is making it worse. I've developed fears of vomiting and passing out, so of course when I'm in public I feel like I'm going to vomit or pass out. I've also noticed that my heart rate stays really fast and sometimes I'm really aware of it and it makes me feel like I'm about to have a heart attack. I usually have no appetite but I feel like I need to eat more, probably because I'm burning extra calories being so on-edge.
    I need to do a better job of knowing the difference between anxiety symptoms and actually feeling sick.
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

Quote Originally Posted by tacosareyummeh View Post
    I've definitely experienced very similar anxiety, especially in the past year or so it seems. It starts with one unpleasant thought and then tends to branch out and apply to literally every aspect of my life. It can be very overwhelming, sometimes to the point of a panic/anxiety attack.
    Things that have worked for me is letting time pass until I feel normal again, distracting myself with TV, reading, or the internet, or simply talking through all my worries with someone understanding,
    Thanks everyone, it's good to know that others know what I mean and how it all feels, and Alex the bit you mention about branching out in to everything I can definitely relate to.

Saturday morning I went shopping with my mum and I was feeling really terrible, we went to a cafe to get something for breakfast and I just kind of broke down and told her how I'd been feeling and she said she understood exactly how I feel and that both her and my aunt experience similar feelings, so it was good to know that. I got some good sleep saturday night which helped a lot, all day yesterday I was feeling so much more like myself than I have been. I was trying to keep distracted with domestic chores and playing games etc which helped as well.

And Lindsay, I've experienced that same vomit-phobia myself and it does always seem to happen when I'm out in public, if I start feeling a bit nauseous I start thinking about what I'd actually do if it came to me needing to throw up which just makes me feel even more worried and sick. Really horrible spiral :(
    Perhaps for your appetite it'd be better to eat smaller, lighter meals through the day rather than large meals at set times?
    Saz
    Piercings:

nose

Planned: Some more ear stuff and hopefully a microdermal or two once I know where I want to put them!

Spikey is my BJS Wife

Scarred_pierced

Saz, you poor thing, I experience the same things, I have to talk myself into going outside, talk myself into walking past people, I have panic attacks when I'm outside, hyperventilating and everything. I find myself holding my breath walking past people. I worry about going outside or having to go places. At work I'm fine, with the customers at least.
    I'm off my meds atm and everything is going tits up. I ran out of the fluoxetine, and although I have my mood stabilisers, I'm not really taking them. If I don't take my tablets, even for one night, I get really bad insomnia, I cannot sleep, and if I do it's short periods of time, with me waking in a panic to look at the time.

Not even sure I'm still with the uni drs....

Quote Originally Posted by Felidae View Post
    And Lindsay, I've experienced that same vomit-phobia myself and it does always seem to happen when I'm out in public, if I start feeling a bit nauseous I start thinking about what I'd actually do if it came to me needing to throw up which just makes me feel even more worried and sick. Really horrible spiral :(
    Perhaps for your appetite it'd be better to eat smaller, lighter meals through the day rather than large meals at set times?
    Yep, it's awful. I'm trying as hard as I can go get over it but it's so difficult. I have been eating smaller meals throughout the day which helps because I tend to get more anxious when I haven't eaten for a while.
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

It's such a hard balance to get isn't it? Having enough food in your stomach to not feel sick but not have too MUCH that you feel sick either >_<
    Saz
    Piercings:

nose

Spikey is my BJS Wife