Page 7 of 224 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mental Health Thread

I've recently figured out that I may have Body Dysmorphic Disorder. I always thought I just had super low self esteem until a good friend asked me if I had an eating disorder because I seem to obsess over my appearance the way that people with them do. I don't, but when I talked to another good friend about it, she said she didn't think I had an eating disorder, but that I may have BDD. I looked up the symptoms and obsessive habits that go along with it, and I was surprised at how accurately it described me. Due to the fact I have other mental health issues as is, it gave me the motivation to start going to the free counseling here, I'm going to the walk in on Tuesday. My friends are supportive of it, but when I told my boyfriend, he just got angry saying that it was pointless and all they were going to do is tell me what he'd been telling me from the beginning-that it's all up to me to change things. I agree to an extent, but obviously, I haven't done a good job at it and I think it'd be helpful to have a professional point me in that direction. It really hurt to see him react that way when I thought he would be supportive.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

It's a shame he reacted in that way, you need support at a time like that. You're right that sometimes someone close to us can tell us something a million times over but when someone who is distant or unknown to you says it then it sticks. That's usually because we often feel our friends and partners say things to make us feel better, especially when we have low confidence.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Right. I know he wants me to get better, but I can't do it on my own, and as you said, hearing it from loved ones isn't enough.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.

Aye and some people don't realise that and feel you're ignoring them, it's hard for some people to understand that when they've not been through it. Good for you for taking action on it, hope you get the help you deserve.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Exactly! I think he takes it as something personal cause he always says that I'm not listening to him when I am, it's just not so simple for me even though he insists it is. The odd thing is he's bipolar so you'd think he understands it's not so simple as turning the emotions off. He doesn't go into depressive episodes very often though so maybe that's why. Thank you.
    Current

No need to thank me, I am just talking from personal experience on both sides of the fence really. Being bipolar may make it even harder I guess. x

How so?
    Current

Just that dealing with his own issues may cloud his judgement somewhat, merely a speculation of course.

Great thread.

I work as a support worker for people with complex mental health needs, and have experienced the stigma and discrimination that is associated with mental health problems. I realise that problems are very personal to people, but I think the more that these issues are talked about the more "accepted" they will become.

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    Just that dealing with his own issues may cloud his judgement somewhat, merely a speculation of course.
    Oh okay, I see what you mean now.
    Current