Page 3 of 224 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mental Health Thread

Quote Originally Posted by the_colvin View Post
    I've got a kind of open question: has anyone taken/ is taking anti-depressants? Iwas just wondering what the actual effects are, how you felt about them etc, just personal experieces kind of thing
    I'm on anti-depressants, I started on a 10mg of citalopram a day in Nov. of 2009. This didn't really seem to have an effect in all honesty, changed up to 20mg in Jan 2010, moved up to 50mg a day in march, which is where I stayed until August, where me and my counsellor came to the conclusion my anxiety and depression was slowly subsiding, so we put me back down to 20mg. Hopefully I'm switching to anti OCD meds to help me deal with my hair pulling, which has now just morphed from a self harm type thing, to a plain ole annoying habit.

Basically, the citalopram reduced me to a jibbering wreck when I was on the 50mg, I was a total zombie, and totally unresponsive to virtually anything. I split up with my abusive, cheating ex, which actually really helped me, and then met my current boyfriend, who has really changed my life around so far

Facebook/Tumblr/AwfulModifcationsBlog

You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd.

1/2" lobes, 15 other holes, 2 hours of tattoo work.

I've got a kind of open question: has anyone taken/ is taking anti-depressants? Iwas just wondering what the actual effects are, how you felt about them etc, just personal experieces kind of thing
    I've been suffering from bouts of depression since my early teens (I'm 32 now) and also have social anxiety and trust issues (from past romantic and platonic relationships). I'm currently on 100mg of Sertraline (recently upped from 50mg since I had a kind of emotional meltdown a few weeks ago).. they seem to be levelling my mood/emotions out although I still have days when I generally feel worthless.. but I'm starting to have more ups than downs though. One annoying thing that I've found with Sertraline is that it gives me a constant ringing in my ears (kind of like tinitus). For the first few weeks it really got to me, but now I think I'm used to it and can kind of channel it out.

I used to be on 50mg of Citalopram.. but it didn't really agree with me at all. I was getting heart palpitations, waves of increased anxiety, feeling constantly nervy/on edge, couldn't eat because of the nausea and actual vomiting, and it heightened my negative feelings (I've lived with self-harm and suicidal tendencies when I was at my lowest). That's when I was switched to Sertraline.
    Current: 4 Lobes (10mm & 2.4mm), Tongue Web, Navel, Right & Left Nostril, VCH (2mm), Right Rook, Septum (3.2mm), Triangle (2.4mm), Left Tragus

RIP: 2 Sternum Microdermals, Horizontal Nipples, Right Conch

Tattoos: Falling Leaves on inner right wrist (AFI), Song Lyrics on right ribs (AFI)

I'm Helen

I've had treatment for my OCD, but I'm finding recently, whenever I'm feeling upset or panicy it's coming on again, just as bad as before. With relationship problems and starting college, this is happening more and more regularly.

I don't really know what to do. I have left school now, which is where I had the origonal Cognitive Behavious Therapy and I don't really want to have to start counselling again at College...
    Piercings;
    Left ear: 2x lobes, 1x Helix 1.6mm, 1x Tragus 1.2mm
    Right ear: 2x lobes, Rook 1.6mm, Scaffold 1.6mm
    Other; Navel 1.6mm, Left Nipple 1.6mm

Tattoos;
    Claddagh Symbol on back of neck, 'Not all those who wander are lost' on right foot
    Rose and ink splatter thigh piece, Origami crane calf piece, Splatter LIE/TV calf piece
    Removals;
    'Raison d'etre' and love bird on left wrist, 'Memento mori' and love bird on right wrist

Next planned: Snug Piercing

I wa on fluoxetine (20mg) I think last year,tbh they were horrible.Basically everyone aside from my doctor could see that they weren't right for me,I suffer from an anxiety disorder and although I was depressed at the time she didn't take the time to understand that,but heh,in the past now.Tbh I just felt quite out of it,spacey almost,but I didn't feel like a zombie or anything,just really unmotivated.Essentially they didn't help me,but I wouldn't discount them cos when I go to uni i'm thinkin I might ask about so anxiety meds but I think it's important to find the one thwt's right for you-some GP's will try and fob anything off on you without listening to your needs.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

I've been on varying mg's of citalopram for 5 years.I now take 30mg and I also take depakote which is for manic episodes.If the depakote doesn't even me out then it's on to lithium which is scary!I've only recently started treatment for bipolar.It's a route we are seriously investigating
    Bonjour I'm Kym(oomoo)

Piercings

|Lobes 14mm||Left Conch||Snakebites|Monroe||Left Eyebrow Diver|
    |Philturm
    ||Septum 1.6mm||4mm right lobe|

Ink

|14 all together||Lower right arm becoming half sleeve|

Quote Originally Posted by Felidae View Post
    Well I don't know how far this counts as a mental illness but I have something called Misophonia which is also known as 4S. An extract from http://www.misophonia-uk.org/faqs.html:
    I know how you feel with alot of this, although with me it's particually eating sounds, mainly my dad. When there's nothing else for me to concentrate on I find it very hard to be able to sit there, it makes me feel like I want to kind of curl up and block it out? I always squeeze my fists and things like that, it's annoying that it bothers me but I try to go and eat myself which takes my mind off it quite well :P My dad even looks at me before he eats his cereal, and bless him tries his best to be quiet :3
    Georgie
    Stretched ears, 9 piercings, 2 tattoos.
    facebook

tumblr
    portfolio

nosce te ipsum.

my results to that test were:
    Paranoid: Very High
    Schizoid: Moderate
    Schizotypal: High
    Antisocial: High
    Borderline: Very High
    Histrionic: Very High
    Narcissistic: High
    Avoidant: Very High
    Dependent: Moderate
    Obsessive-Compulsive: High
    Hello(: Bits that've been poked: lobes x4, helix x4, forward helix, septum, left nostril, left nipple, standard navel and my tongue.My septum piercing's stretched to 10mm, it's like my baby :')

so i both love and hate myself greatly, apparently. Though i guess it's possible.
    Last edited by Embert; 10-11-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: sorry for the double post
    Hello(: Bits that've been poked: lobes x4, helix x4, forward helix, septum, left nostril, left nipple, standard navel and my tongue.My septum piercing's stretched to 10mm, it's like my baby :')

Disorder | Rating
    Paranoid: Very High
    Schizoid: Moderate
    Schizotypal: High
    Antisocial: High
    Borderline: Moderate
    Histrionic: High
    Narcissistic: High
    Avoidant: Very High
    Dependent: High
    Obsessive-Compulsive: Very High

Lol, not exactly thrilled that I got at least moderate for everything!

Current piercings
    22mm lobes | 6mm conch

Current tattoos
    Indian inspired dotwork side piece (14/08/2013)
    Click to see!

Retired
    Snakebites | Tongue web | Scaffold | Medusa | Hand Web | Smiley | Nape | Tragus | Vertical tragus | Navel | Chest MD | 8 lobes | Tongue | Nipples

Gallery
    http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/gal...0&ppuser=52306

Paranoid: High
    Schizoid:
    Moderate
    Schizotypal: Moderate
    Antisocial:
    Low
    Borderline:
    Moderate
    Histrionic:
    Low
    Narcissistic:
    Low
    Avoidant: Moderate
    Dependent: Moderate
    Obsessive-Compulsive:
    Low

Thats comes out with my being fairly grounded in terms of my mental health but I do have some horrific anger issues, it can something very small and pointless that sets me off but once it's started it grows and grows and I unfortunately have no issues at all at lashing out normally what ever has made me completely enraged has passed so I'm not able to hurt, injure or attack who or whatever it was but there have been occassions where I've punched things. It's greatly improved since I moved out of my parents - as when there I didn't seem to be able to calm myself down unless I'd lashed out on an object namely my bedroom door. I'm not sure if that will still come under the bracket of mental health in my mind it does. I think it all stems from how I felt in school, I had trouble at school with friends making them and keeping them and would often feel overly jealous if I didn't get invited to things and would start blaming myself for all of it. All of which in turn lead to self harming - I haven't self harmed in the sense of breaking the skin so to speak for a fair few years now but I have noticed I bite myself, and it's not a nip I bite until I'm bruised.
    Sophie

Piercings
    Lobes x3, Left Helix, Right Helix x2, Double Nostrils, Right Rook, Left Nipple, Left Conch, VCH, Tongue

Ink
    Pink Gerbera, Orange Gerbera, Storm Cat