Thread: The Mental Health Thread

  1. #2071
    Senior Member Thehorror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov-2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,632

    Default

    If it wasn't a different country you would be welcome to show up on my doorstep, and I would take you out for coffee! Well, you are still welcome, but it might take a bit of effort.

    people like you! We all like you! And screw the people who don't. It's not your issue, it's theirs! Just keep being you and being nice, but if they don't like you then they don't deserve to!
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

    Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

    Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces


  2. #2072
    Senior Member Firedrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May-2014
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Watched Louis Theroux: By Reason of Insanity P1 & 2 the last couple of nights, made me both slightly worried and annoyed at the same time. From what they're describing as symptoms of people being clinically "crazy" and unfit to stand trial for whatever they've done to be in the unit in the first place must mean pretty much (my interpretation based on how I feel and act/react and assuming other people are the same) the entire WORLD is crazy! I have most of the "symptoms" they list for a whole bunch of disorders, and I can actually relate to some of the people they interviewed who have done some horrible things and sort of even understand why. I don't know if half the people are actually mentally ill, or if they're just making excuses for most of them and giving them the option of staying out of jail? Or if maybe I'm just able to get by enough because I was taught coping skills at a young age and I'm actually not sane at all?

    Regular people get away with more than these people do, and they're never considered to be "not in their right mind" even after having performed similar acts for similar reasons.
    Honestly I'm actually a little worried that one day I might do something under stress and because nobody believes me when I do have trouble, I'd probably be tried as completely sane.

    Also, just because someone is troubled a few times in their life, has a lack of boundaries and social issues with parents and peers because "that's just how they are", does things they wouldn't normally do (pushing boundaries further to see what happens or doesn't know how to deal with intense emotions) I don't think at all that makes them "insane" which is what seemed to be the onus on some of the people in the show. Seems to me to be a failure of communication and support more than a "break" in someone's brain.
    This also worries me, because I know exactly what that's like, I've done things looking back now, that seemed like another person did it because I wasn't being listened to and I was out of my normal environment and comfort zone so everyone assumed that's just what I was "like". I know myself that I'm one to always push boundaries even to the point of almost self destruction before going "oh ok I'm good now" and then having to work to make sure I didn't completely burn that bridge by being an ass. I don't always mean to do it, and I do try hard not to oppose authority, but sometimes I say things when I shouldn't and most of the time I "have" to be right. I feel like I work hard to prove I'm better than everyone else and that I know what I'm doing, and when my advice and logic (which is usually right) isn't taken into consideration or I'm made to feel like I'm stupid, I can go off my tree(like on the weekend).

    I don't know, maybe I make myself crazy by thinking I am. I know I don't think like everyone else, but then I don't know what everyone else thinks like. I know I don't feel things the way other people do, but is that because of the way things like love and respect are portrayed as being or feeling a way that they aren't really?
    Sometimes I think I spend too long overthinking things like this.
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed


  3. #2073
    Senior Member ThatPsycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov-2011
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,025

    Default

    I wish I could stop stressing about everything. I'm trying to relax and stop thinking about it, but I can't stop and it's awful.
    Current: 9mm lobes, 5mm left tragus, 5mm left conch, tongue web, nasallang, left rook, left anti-tragus, right tragus, right daith, right snug, right forward helix, bridge, 5mm septum, three-point left helix spiral, double left eyebrow

    Planning: ​ Vertical labret re-pierced

  4. #2074
    Senior Member MidnightDreamer22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May-2011
    Location
    Patra, Greece
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Welp. I've never talked about this on here, but the last year or so I've been starving myself at random times. Right now is one of those times.
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings
    Left ear: 2x standard lobe, inner conch Right ear: 2x standard lobe, tragus, double helix Other: left nostril, septum

    RIP: right nostril, navel

    Tattoos
    2,5 hours of work (right rib piece and waist/ hip lettering)

    Want: industrial, daith, philtrum, sooo many tattoos
    Tumblr // Instagram

  5. #2075
    Senior Member beautiful-disaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar-2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Have you spoken to someone about it? Is there a reason for it or a trigger that's set it in motion? It takes a lot to share your problems and that is one of the first steps to recovery *hugs*
    What I have
    Left ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , daith , conch
    Right ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , tragus , scaffold , rook
    monroe
    tongue
    right nipple
    VCH
    Septum

    an abundance of Inkies

    Contemplating..

    double nostrils, nipple (L), orbital, cleavage MD's, christina


    call me Manda
    ^3^


  6. #2076
    Senior Member MidnightDreamer22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May-2011
    Location
    Patra, Greece
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beautiful-disaster View Post
    Have you spoken to someone about it? Is there a reason for it or a trigger that's set it in motion? It takes a lot to share your problems and that is one of the first steps to recovery *hugs*
    No, everyone I know IRL is guaranteed to either completely freak out or scoff and not take me seriously. It started basically because I see myself as a lot bigger than all my friends, even though I know that the difference is really minimal I can't convince my head to actually believe it. *sigh* I don't think there's a trigger for it, there's days when I'm "I love my body, screw everything, I'm gonna wear shorts" and others when the starving is in motion. Like I said: welp.
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings
    Left ear: 2x standard lobe, inner conch Right ear: 2x standard lobe, tragus, double helix Other: left nostril, septum

    RIP: right nostril, navel

    Tattoos
    2,5 hours of work (right rib piece and waist/ hip lettering)

    Want: industrial, daith, philtrum, sooo many tattoos
    Tumblr // Instagram

  7. #2077
    Awesome Admin Boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb-2010
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs
    Posts
    33,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDreamer22 View Post
    No, everyone I know IRL is guaranteed to either completely freak out or scoff and not take me seriously. It started basically because I see myself as a lot bigger than all my friends, even though I know that the difference is really minimal I can't convince my head to actually believe it. *sigh* I don't think there's a trigger for it, there's days when I'm "I love my body, screw everything, I'm gonna wear shorts" and others when the starving is in motion. Like I said: welp.
    Have you considered speaking to a professional who can help you?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<



  8. #2078
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec-2014
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDreamer22 View Post
    Welp. I've never talked about this on here, but the last year or so I've been starving myself at random times. Right now is one of those times.
    I understand this completely. I do this when I'm stressed. It's a totally unhealthy view, but I've always seen food as a reward, it makes me happy and when I'm unhappy or feeling unloveable I can't eat. This week has made me sick again.
    Trying to be upbeat and jolly on the outside is exhausting

    edited: I feel the need to qualify a bit. I don't want my reply to seem trite. For me it's simply a control mechanism.
    Niki I'm not in anyway trivialising what you are going through. It is very difficult to verbalise something like this, especially to friends and family. As Hazel said, speaking to a professional can really help. Lots of love.
    Last edited by CookieMoo; 04-05-2015 at 09:26 PM.

  9. #2079
    Senior Member MidnightDreamer22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May-2011
    Location
    Patra, Greece
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Have you considered speaking to a professional who can help you?
    Somehow I think I'm ashamed of going to a professional, which is even more ridiculous. The "stigma" that's associated with that sort of thing shouldn't exist, and when you need help you should simply go get it. Why can't my brain understand that? -_- I think it's also a matter of "No, your problem isn't serious enough, self"

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMoo View Post
    I understand this completely. I do this when I'm stressed. It's a totally unhealthy view, but I've always seen food as a reward, it makes me happy and when I'm unhappy or feeling unloveable I can't eat. This week has made me sick again.
    Trying to be upbeat and jolly on the outside is exhausting

    edited: I feel the need to qualify a bit. I don't want my reply to seem trite. For me it's simply a control mechanism.
    Niki I'm not in anyway trivialising what you are going through. It is very difficult to verbalise something like this, especially to friends and family. As Hazel said, speaking to a professional can really help. Lots of love.
    Trite? I don't get this, just the fact that you honoured me with a response and not a "Well I don't care" shrug is good enough for me. Thank you ^^
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings
    Left ear: 2x standard lobe, inner conch Right ear: 2x standard lobe, tragus, double helix Other: left nostril, septum

    RIP: right nostril, navel

    Tattoos
    2,5 hours of work (right rib piece and waist/ hip lettering)

    Want: industrial, daith, philtrum, sooo many tattoos
    Tumblr // Instagram

  10. #2080
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr-2015
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Jester, I don't know you and am new to this forum let a lone this thread so don't know the history, but the things you say remind me of me, and I don't know how old you are. But I am now nearly 40, and I have learnt a lot, and one of the things I have realised is that it is not that I am unliekable etc. but that I am too nice, and too forgiving of bad behaviour, no too unwilling to say to someone when they are treating me badly, so they keep doing it, and I then suck it up, and make myself feel worse. It's hard but I am starting to change my outlook. As I said I don't know you, so might be completely off the ark but have a think?..

    Hahaha meant to say completely off the mark but said completely off the ARK! I know I am getting on a bit, but not that much :-D

    Midnight dreamer - go and get some help, I know you don't think that your problem is big enough/bad enough, but it is hurting you, and because of that it is serious enough. You deserve help as much anyone else, it's hard but there will be no stigma with a professional, stigma is just something people are uncomfortable with and a professional will be used to dealing with similar and worse - and as for everybody else - well no one needs to know :-)
    Last edited by Boo; 04-06-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: merged posts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •