Thread: The Mental Health Thread

I'm going to see the counsellor at uni tomorrow, I'm really nervous.
    Bits of me that have been stabbed
    8mm lobes
    2nd lobes
    left rook
    right helix & tragus
    right conch
    paired nostrils
    philtrum
    nape MD
    nipples

Tumblr
    /Facebook/Twitter

Awesome!
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Hand driers make me horrifically panicky.

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

Does anyone one else feel like meds stop them properly "feeling" emotions? Like my ex has really upset me this week and I know that I'm upset and angry about this but I don't feel it properly, I'm not crying, it doesn't hurt like it normally would. I'm glad the meds are helping but I don't want to just not feel anything
    Got: Left Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), 4xhelix, 5mm conch

Right Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), inner helix, orbital (Top)

Other: 4xtongue (2/2.4/3.2mm), septum

Yeah I noticed that when I came off my meds, that I was less "numb." I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, obviously I was used to it enough that I didn't really notice, and part of me wonders if that new feeling is normal and what I had without meds was excessive? I really don't know. Maybe a lower dose would help?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

I found that Nat, but I did find over time it levelled out and I began to feel things more normally

Been keeping a stress/food journal linking into my nausea and feeling ill and I'm fairly sure it's stress that's causing a lot of the physical symptoms. I really need to work on finding some better ways to recognise and manage my stress levels.
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    Yeah I noticed that when I came off my meds, that I was less "numb." I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, obviously I was used to it enough that I didn't really notice, and part of me wonders if that new feeling is normal and what I had without meds was excessive? I really don't know. Maybe a lower dose would help?
    I'm already on the lowest dose possible. I don't really know what's normal and what's not anymore. I think it's the fact that logically I know I'm angry and upset, I just can't "feel" it

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    I found that Nat, but I did find over time it levelled out and I began to feel things more normally

Been keeping a stress/food journal linking into my nausea and feeling ill and I'm fairly sure it's stress that's causing a lot of the physical symptoms. I really need to work on finding some better ways to recognise and manage my stress levels.
    Hopefully it will sort itself out given time. I haven't been back on the meds very long (less than a month) so I know I need to give it time to settle. I need to make an appointment to review it soon anyway so I'll bring it up then
    Got: Left Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), 4xhelix, 5mm conch

Right Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), inner helix, orbital (Top)

Other: 4xtongue (2/2.4/3.2mm), septum

Rosa I can completely understand the absolute dread at having to live in a house you aren't comfortable in that gives you so much anxiety that you feel like you're going to explode with fear and all the little pieces of you try to crawl as far away as they can possibly get as fast as they possibly can.
    And dealing with that on top of everything else that's going on in life at the same time is damn HARD.

When I moved house to a friend's place because my lease was ending, I got the most overwhelmingly terrifying anxiety attacks. I didn't WANT to move, I had to stop multiple time while moving to sit down and I couldn't do anything, I stayed out late, made any excuse to be away from the house, and the people in it, I literally only came home to change clothes and feed/clean my rats and dog. Everything was happening all at once and it was just far too much, I couldn't deal with work, I wasn't depressed either, I was still happy-ish, as long as I wasn't in that house, the other things that were happening did make me a little depressed, but mostly I just felt sick 24/7, I didn't eat unless someone actually made me sit down and finish a bowl of something, or even just a couple of mouthfuls. I would eat one grain of rice at a time. And every time I would think about having to go back I wanted to cry and my whole insides wanted to start crawling out of my body so it didn't have to go back there.

I still don't know why, because he was a good friend and I'd stayed there before moving in. He made it uncomfortable by not leaving me alone and normally I can handle that, but with everything else on top of it I just wanted some space. It did get a bit better when I'd cleaned my room up because living in squalor made it bad and cleaning gave me something to focus on, but slowly got worse again as he started trying to push me to move out after we had a disagreement about the rent and new housemates.

I can say the only thing that really made it better was to move out, which I know isn't helpful to you right now :(
    I don't know how to ask for help. I want to but the words don't come out. I did go and see a councillor but I didn't know how to open up and tell her everything and it felt like I just kept repeating myself, so it was good for a few sessions and then after that I stopped going when it felt pointless. I can go back to that house now, but I don't go inside. I still don't feel welcome there.

One thing I did find helpful, is knowing that sometimes it actually ISN'T you over-reacting, not being able to cope with all the small things is NOT silly, and it certainly doesn't mean you're sick.
    IMHO (that not everyone will like) I think saying that someone has an illness because they can't deal with things isn't always the best first approach. Yes, sometimes it IS an illness and something they don't have any control over and do require an outside source to help even it out. But sometimes bad things happen all at once, and not being able to handle it ALL doesn't neccessarily make you weak or crazy or sick, just take one day at a time and realise that almost everyone has these deathly fears at least once in their life. If you need extra help to get through it, medication, friends, anything at all that makes each day just a tiny bit easier to deal with, by all means find it and hold onto it.

If you're having a large amount of trouble eating, see if you can get a shake or juice to sip on, just enough to coat your tongue, or a bar and nibble at it one crumb at a time. Tiny achievements are achievements none the less, as long as you keep going you'll be ok. Even if it means you eat two spoonfuls of icecream for breakfast and a poptart for dinner every day until it's over or you feel better, find something you don't immediately want to throw up and have a tiny bit.

Everyone is different, but we all have fears. Don't ever think yours are silly because other people seem to be able to cope with them easily and you have trouble.
    Can you talk to your girlfriend about it?

Sorry for the novel!
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

Another panic attack on the bus. I'm pretty sure my professors just think I'm over-dramatic and obnoxious. I need to be better about making sure I get to the bus early enough to get a seat in the front so this doesn't happen

aha thank you (I oddly like long posts)

I can talk to my girlfriend about it but she's got so much going on herself theres only so much I can burden her with before I start to feel cruel.

Mums trying to talk me out of seeing a doctor - and I know why she's taking this stance and I see her point of view completely - but the day she tried to talk me out of it I had a horrible panic attack and it just cemented in my mind the necessity of seeing one? Even if its literally only until my exams are over.

I think I'm going to see my academic advisor at uni this week and he's going to be sorry about Canada so at least I can explain about my nana and I think I'm going to try and access counselling and support at the disability office because at the moment I'm just overwhelmed and I'd like deadline extensions because, even if I don't use them, a little bit of breathing space would be nice atm.
    You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

Ginny Weasley

MERCI POUR LE VENIN